It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Intelligence Analyst Arrested in Wikileaks Video Probe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
god bless the poor man , hes a dissendent and a true patriot of USA, but I fear that Obama dictatorship will execute him or send him to hard labour private prisons aka the american Gulag camps

Hes the Alexander solzentegin of USA

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is sickening, I'm listening to Fox News right now about this whole thing. They are picking apart the Collateral Murder video and saying that the van that was shot up, you know the one with the kids in it, was fair game because it had no markings on it. Does that mean we should all make sure our vehicles are marked as well so we don't end up being blown apart? They are sickening and are advancing a police state on us all. Really, why would this guy who drove up to help these innocent people have to have his vehicle marked? It is sickening.

I hope and pray that the rest of what Manning gave to wikileaks will be released by them. I want to know the machinations behind our barbaric foreign relations policies and I want to know who drives them. They do not promote the good will of the American public in their policies and I for one would not have allowed even a part of some of the policies that we know about when it is too late. Like arming a lunatic with chemical weapons to wage war against its neighbor. Who made that decision? Not me, not you. They do what they want and we pay the price in more ways then one.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Enjoy the American bashing going on. Be sure to thank the people of your own government for your free thoughts expressed here. If you're an American, shame on you.

He is not a hero nor by any means a patriot.

At best he is a criminal and at worst a traitor. He has placed thousands of lives at stake without even knowing the damage he did. Even most of the people here are too naive to see what damage he has done. But releasing state secrets is a-ok.... no, it's not right nor righteous nor patriotic.

I really hope this guy is shot for treason in a time of war. It sounds harsh, and it is, because he gave aid and comfort to our enemy. An enemy he swore an oath to defend us from.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

So this guy who sees the horrors and the mechanisms behind them decides to let us all know about them so that we can maybe re align our foreign relations policy and you believe he should be shot? You do realize that you are promoting a police state on us all don't you? When they tell you that we can no longer have this freedom of expression that is the internet, will you go blindly along with their ideas? That is where this is all leading. Soon enough you will realize that what this guy did was American.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

good grief , hinky reminds me of soviet commissars and the KGB , who would murder dissidents .

This is disgusting , people , nazi like dictatorship and suppression and murder of dissidents is coming in the name of patriotism

these wars are not for freedom , but nazi style imperialism , the great man stood against the corporatist american empire hell bent on plunder and genocide in islamic nations .

hinky has shown his/her true colors and has shown that he hates freedom and loves imperialism , and he will be one of the automaton commissar of the likes of Bush/Obama when it will to mass murdering american citizens as traitors for standing against big oil,politics ,anti-guns etc.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by sadchild01]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This comes from the guy who ratted Manning out. Notice how he says that they were especially interested in a code word for a major operation. I would love to know what that major operation is and I hope wikileaks will release the rest of the information that Manning supplied them.

"I gave them conversation logs that implicated Special Agent Manning. "They were particularly interested in a code word for a major operation." Mr Lamo also described how Mr Manning had supposedly obtained the documents. "He described the process of operational security in detail," said Mr Lamo. "What he described was a culture of insecurity with poor attention to information. "The field base didn't have significant security."

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap
They are picking apart the Collateral Murder video and saying that the van that was shot up, you know the one with the kids in it, was fair game because it had no markings on it. Does that mean we should all make sure our vehicles are marked as well so we don't end up being blown apart?

Markings? If I wear a police officers uniform, does that make me one merely by wearing the right markings? Markings don't mean anything! Anyone can disguise themselves and appear to be someone they are not. Same goes for the car.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I am kind of disappointed to hear the 260,000 embassy cables is incorrect. Which is odd, considering he was on point about everything else....

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Excellent post my friend, big star and flag from me.

It's hopeful that there are still some real good guys out there who will sacrifice themselves to do the right thing and try to stop the madness of the advancing police state and the ever increasing control grid.

It's a shame so many people see such heros as villians for acting out their concious and morallity.

Sharing the truth should never be a crime, how did we end up in a world where it is?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Why do you write your post like you are writing a poem? It is very hard to read and discredits your post.

Anyways, the guy who leaked things is BOSS.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
Enjoy the American bashing going on. Be sure to thank the people of your own government for your free thoughts expressed here. If you're an American, shame on you.

That is absolutely the silliest argument I have read on ATS in minutes.

For one thing, the government does not give us free speech. We do that. The government allows it - to an extent. We are talking about a story of arrest over information aren't we?

Let's say Hitler was exactly as he was, except he was also a big fan of free speech. Would you be walking around concentration camps saying "Go ahead and complain about being tortured and killed by your government but just remember that government allows you to complain about it. Shame on you!"

Seriously? Do you thank the U.S. government for your free thoughts? That is what you just told us to do. Why should I thank anyone else for my thoughts again? If you are an American, shame on you. You are not promoting the free exchange of ideas, you are promoting the government option to allow you to exchange ideas. You said it yourself. You owe the government for YOUR thoughts. That is sick.

In case you have not noticed, people speak out all over the world. The difference is some governments react differently to it. I am the reason I have free speech and if my government is doing something antithetical to what I believe they claim to represent, I will speak out regardless of any laws and deal with the consequences.

He is not a hero nor by any means a patriot.

At best he is a criminal and at worst a traitor. He has placed thousands of lives at stake without even knowing the damage he did. Even most of the people here are too naive to see what damage he has done. But releasing state secrets is a-ok.... no, it's not right nor righteous nor patriotic.

You do not get it. The people in danger are in danger because the government put them in danger. Then that same government allows them to do things like we have seen in the videos.

Do you really not believe that when innocent people get killed in Afghanistan, they do not talk about it there already? Killing innocent people puts the soldiers and our country in more danger. They already know what is going on, it is us that are not witnesses to it.

This man is helping you realize how much danger your government is putting people in. You seem to be saying that bad war decisions that kill US troops needlessly is ok because anything that might put an end to that could possible be worse - SHORT TERM. How is it more patriotic to hope our soldiers stay in places where their days are numbered because somewhere else, someone flying the same flag blew up a family?

I really hope this guy is shot for treason in a time of war.

Oh, my bad. Here I was replying to you and all this time you were just going to say something stupid anyway.

It sounds harsh, and it is, because he gave aid and comfort to our enemy. An enemy he swore an oath to defend us from.

You failed to demonstrate that in any manner at all.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mythtified

Originally posted by jackflap
They are picking apart the Collateral Murder video and saying that the van that was shot up, you know the one with the kids in it, was fair game because it had no markings on it. Does that mean we should all make sure our vehicles are marked as well so we don't end up being blown apart?

Markings? If I wear a police officers uniform, does that make me one merely by wearing the right markings? Markings don't mean anything! Anyone can disguise themselves and appear to be someone they are not. Same goes for the car.

Then would that not mean markings are useless and therefore the reasons given to shoot the van are null and void? Cannot say that it was ok to shoot for being unmarked while also claiming marks are useless anyway. That is a - either way we can justify shooting.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
What kinda Intelligence Analyst finds a treasure trove of information that HE thinks the public should see, releases it, then goes and brags about it? Either this guy is the most poorly trained intelligence analyst in Iraq...or he is a scape-goat.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
The flag waving sheep in this thread are disgusting, but I have grown rather used to people hiding on the interweb playing the tough guy.
The information needed to be released and obviously nobody else was willing to do it.
The papers and media had the tape for quite a while and did nothing.
Endangering lives?
No, the corrupt flesh bags who sent the soldiers out into a blood war on the back of lies and misinformation put them in danger and it is information like this that SHOULD be used to get them OUT of danger.
You monkeys like to throw around "freedom of speech", if speech was free we would not be having these situations.
Tell those that are pulled namelessly into holding cels to be held indefinitely for "terrorism" when their only terrorist act is to speak out against the country we are in and yet they are lumped with real terrorists and held without rights.
Tell it to those who tried to protest Bush and were forced to leave or be arrested.
This guy was an idiot for bragging about what he did, but he did give important information.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Commendable the guy did the right thing. Just made the mistake of talking about it with someone he shouldnt have.. and yes in the military troops are taught what to do and how to handle when they are issued illegal or questionable orders.. Suspect he tried to take it public as sounds like theres problems that go up the chain of command.. it does happen.. And the people do have the right to know the truth of whats going on not the bull# propaganda the government is feeding the world.. His courage and convictions at best just got him sent to leavenworth at worst permanently dissapeared yes the u.s does that to people as well. Am curious about the embassy cables.. a few people in dizzy city probably going crazy to cya when/if those come out.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
It's sad that whistleblower laws don't apply here.If you report atrocities committed by your employer, the federal government has laws in place to protect you. UNLESS, the employer committing the atrocities IS the federal government. Hypocrisy at it's finest!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Shining light on the gray areas does not magically transform them into black and white. Time will tell if he did the right thing, although if is true that he bagged 250,000 communications, statistics probably lean towards at least a few unnecessary risks to national security and a morally wrong choice on the part of the soldier. Not all risk is worth the reward.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NightShift

Not all risk is worth the reward.

I don't believe this individual was expecting a reward in the least. He knew the consequences of what he was doing and decided that it was in everyone's best interest to know the truth. He took a stand and a brave one.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
In this case, "reward" was supposed to mean the enlightenment of the public.

"Risk" meant compromising the safety of Americans.

Taking the argument to the extreme, I would not condone destroying the country in order to shed truth on an ambassador's secret import/export business.

No one person can reliably decide where the line is on any one issue, yet ostensibly, may be confronted with something they think is important enough to take a risk on. This soldier decided to take a risk on 250,000 issues.

Unless World Peace results, I doubt handing the rest of the world 250,000 advantages over America was worth it.

What if one of these communications cause another country to go to war with us? If the whole world got to see 250,000 of your communications, would you still be able to keep all of your friends? Would any of them try to use the information against you?

250,000?

I just hope that part isn't true.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NightShift

What if one of these communications cause another country to go to war with us? If the whole world got to see 250,000 of your communications, would you still be able to keep all of your friends? Would any of them try to use the information against you? 250,000? I just hope that part isn't true.

Well the only people who know how our foreign relations policy is played out are the people who made the communications in the first place. Supposedly this policy is in the public's best interests. Somehow I believe that this policy is geared more toward maintaining a stranglehold on power for the powerful.

I may be wrong but I can almost bet I'm not. If the American people's good will was actually implemented in our foreign policies wouldn't we be doing things a lot differently? Who made the decision to place the Shah of Iran in power at that volatile time? Who made the decision to arm Saddam with WMD's?

Who says who lives and dies in the recent drone attack that we will never know anything about? The resources used in these policies is outrageous when considering our current financial crisis. Yet we will never have a say in them or why so much resources are used to make better and more astounding killing platforms. We are told to root for God and country and watch Biblical prophecy unfold before our very eyes. Yeah, right.

I say let's get it all out in the open. Let's find out what kind of monsters are guiding this policy and why. It may open a few eyes and yes we may gain a few enemies but those enemies wouldn't be looking for the public. They would looking for the people who drove such an insane policy. It may even lead us to the realization that we are all human and need each other and that we've been led down the dangerous road we are on by insane forces bent on controlling us all. Don't be afraid, be courageous.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join