It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Semi Pre-drilled relief wells allow for future Deep Water Oil mining?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Explanation: Seems to me that if the world absolutely NEEDS the oil from these rigs, that semi pre-drilled [lets say a good 2/3rds deep] relief wells SHOULD be drilled BEFORE the rig comes ONLINE! This would curtail the time taken to fix any future problems and it SHOULD be legislated as MANDATORY!

Personal Disclosure: I am not an expert in any of the science or physics involved and I'm quite aware that my proposal would incur extra costs which of course would be passed on to the end consumer!

So what do my fellow ATS members think? Do you agree or not and WHY???

Note: This thread is not a venue to attack BP or the POTUS ect. OK! :shk:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
correct me if im wrong, but i think it is mandatory to have relief wells in lots of oil producing countrys.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I have a really bad feeling that we have not even begun to see the worst yet.
Ive said before on numerous threads regarding the oil spill that something much bigger may happen. (only my opinion)
The oil that has leaked will be replaced by sea water? The sea water has a different density than the oil?
Well, if thats correct then isnt it possible that eventually the whole area could collapse into the sea? Even more worrying is the other wells that are in the area, Think of it like this, Perforating paper.......makes it easier to tear, right?
Then add weight to the surface(crust) either by land or sea weight= disaster.
Theres also other factors that could add stress, earthquakes or changes in gravity.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by shmo5
correct me if im wrong, but i think it is mandatory to have relief wells in lots of oil producing countrys.

Explanation: I am totally unaware and I haven't applied myself to any research on this issue.

But if that was the case, then is the USA lagging behind other countries OH&S [occupational health and safety] standards on this issue?

If it was Mandatory then why wasn't one [or several] available for the DeepWater Horizon Rig???

Personal Disclosure: I only posted this thread because I just heard on the news that the POTUS had totally kyboshed any futher deep water drilling and it occured to me spontaniously that predrilled relief wells might just ease his [and others] mind on the matter a bit.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Wouldn't digging wells like that unnecessarily increase the chance of them opening in the case of an earthquake or other natural disaster?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Explanation: FYI 50 million barrels of oil [1 barrel/55 gallon drum] will fit into a volume that comprises of 1km x 1km x 15mtrs OK! Please compare that to the volume of the Grand Canyon ect!

55 Gallon drum [wiki]

Personal Disclosure: Your opinion on pre-drilled relief wells would be much appreciated OK!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution
Wouldn't digging wells like that unnecessarily increase the chance of them opening in the case of an earthquake or other natural disaster?

Explanation: The key word in your post was "unecessarily" and its quite apparent that, at least in the case of this oil rig and this oil spill, that it IS NEEDED!

Personal Disclosure: I wasn't a scout but I like the motto "Be Prepared!".

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Deep water drilling is not going away,

As i say the other day the recent Strike off Falkland islands yielded 245,000,000barrels

this only supplies the world with 3 days of oil! Staggering isn't it?! So what have we do? Smaller oil companies would be precluded from the business because they simply cannot afford drilling relief wells. Therefore the big oil companies would easily monopolize industry AND I don't have to explain what will happen with scenario.

Relief well RW1 picture I= MW picture / =RW1

Now let us say well bottom elevation@ -18,000ft therefore RW@ -14,000 depending on strata so.... You drill main well A@-16,000 and you have to back main drill off to -11,000 takes time, Now as you have been drilling main well RW1 is also underway good news is sonar locator can dropped in MW if issues happen with intersect. Hopefully not, drilling relief well is like hitting bullseye so say 2-3 tries everytime a miss happens with RW1 drill must be backed out all the way and hole must be cemented in order for re-try....This takes much time. Time is big money, and only huge oil companies can afford this. So we are left with terrible issues having them corner deep water market.

Solution for USA= USA needs to nationalize own drilling company and absorbing BP seizing their deep water equipment and current deep water wells in Gulf would be nice. L@@k what these jerks did, this would be an appropriate punishment because they can never pay for all the damage created. SEIZE BP AMERICA OPERATIONS NOW

frowns

THOUGHTS

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jeffrybinladen

Explanation: It is true that GLOBALLY deepwater drilling and oil mining WILL continue and of this I have absolutely NO DOUBT! St*r for you!

But I note that there is a BAN on it as far as the US is concerned...

Deep-water ban sending ripples through Houston [ATS Breaking News]

Energy companies worry delay puts jobs, projects in jeopardy [chron.com]

Personal Disclosure: I have more to post... but its like 3am here and OL is very tired
Please be patient OK! Thanking you in advance!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by OmegaLogos

I have a really bad feeling that we have not even begun to see the worst yet.
Ive said before on numerous threads regarding the oil spill that something much bigger may happen. (only my opinion)
The oil that has leaked will be replaced by sea water? The sea water has a different density than the oil?
Well, if thats correct then isnt it possible that eventually the whole area could collapse into the sea? Even more worrying is the other wells that are in the area, Think of it like this, Perforating paper.......makes it easier to tear, right?
Then add weight to the surface(crust) either by land or sea weight= disaster.
Theres also other factors that could add stress, earthquakes or changes in gravity.

The oil coming out is under preassure, when the preassure equalizes the flow would stop. Where does sea water 'flow' back in your scenario? Further, it's not a huge cavern that is being emptied, its large porish rock.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Plan to seize BP

Ok this is how we do

Firstly BP must finish cement job and seal damn hole.

In the meantime satellite spy on BP's rigs and assets in gulf. It will take two weeks in order to fully understand well is shut. This is when you start moving Special Operations troops around gulf in destroyers stuff like that. If other countries become suspicious just claim naval exercises.

Immediately board rigs seizing all personnel claim imminent domain, appropriate all material all equipment and so forth. Tell well workers you are being held on Homeland security that is all. Nothing they can do when navy seals are pointing machine guns at them!

Since BP will screw America on clean-up once well is shut this is the smartest plan. If the world doesn't like it just say look what these a8sholes did to us and instead of wasting time with weird prosecutions this was our only choice. OH and also make friends with China and explain 20% of workers will be chinese since they are good employees and also give a percentage of oil at cost. The Chinese will board because they need the petrol. It would be nice conning BP to move in 2-3 super tankers into US Waters so they can be seized also.

Now you have United States Petrol or USP for people who enjoy acronym

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution

It may well do that. but it is better to be prepared for the more common event of a blow out.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Originally posted by shmo5

Explanation: I am totally unaware and I haven't applied myself to any research on this issue.

But if that was the case, then is the USA lagging behind other countries OH&S [occupational health and safety] standards on this issue?

If it was Mandatory then why wasn't one [or several] available for the DeepWater Horizon Rig???

Personal Disclosure: I only posted this thread because I just heard on the news that the POTUS had totally kyboshed any futher deep water drilling and it occured to me spontaniously that predrilled relief wells might just ease his [and others] mind on the matter a bit.

Dont want to bash Americans or America here, but ive talked to a few guys who work on the rigs here in Britain and they said they had, had some Americans over as an exchange type thing and they (Americans) where (dont know how to say this nicely) completly incapable of the job. The guys i spoke to used slightly harsher words.

Then again I dont know how this group of guys compaire with the majority of US oil drillers.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Explanation: Bumped to help generate ad revenue!

Personal Disclosure: Enjoy!

new topics

top topics

join