It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you choose as livestock if the SHTF??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
What would you choose as livestock if the SHTF??

To start off i am not an alarmist,and with all my heart i hope the SHTF scenario never happens.
But as my grandfather used to say an "ounce of prevention saves a pound of problems" and id rather play the squirrel than the cricket.

My personal choice would be rabbits, they taste good take up little space and breed often. I am wondering what other people think who have given this some thought.

~meathead

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Depends on how much land I have to keep the livestock on. A small chunk of land, then I would go chickens. Constant production of eggs can't be beat. If you have a few acres to fence in then I would go goats all day. Eat everything (will literally eat the rope you tie them up with) so it's easy to sustain them, provide plenty of manure for your garden, and provide meat and milk.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Chickens and a few goats. Non stop eggs and milk, you really need nothing more. Plus, why grow cattle or pigs when you couldn't even eat one whole one by yourself even considering storage.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

Rabbits, squirrels, snakes, lake fish, river fish, poke salad, berries, wild turkey (real wild turkeys not the liquor, lol) pigeons, quail, deer, mulberries.

edit to add: I misunderstood the question apparently, I thought you meant other than the usual livestock.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by space cadet]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Some sort of blind mollusc I could suck on and slurp...maybe a giant squid that lives at he bottom of the ocean. Something blind or nearly sightless, rubbery, and habituated to cold and dark. Certain species of mushrooms might fight the bill, too. (I am positiiong an absence of sunlight due to nuclear winter, debris from asteroid or commet strike, etc...something like the event that killed the dinosaurs, not some piddling little stock market meltdown or whatever).

Char-roasted human femur is always an option for those willing to cross that particular extra-special line...

[edit on 6/7/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

First Ty for your reply and input.and since you asked 20 acres,in northern vermont. at the moment we havent started building and only have a small hunting "camp". i was thinking rabbits as they could be kept relatively close to the camp in cages .Goats seem like an extremeley good idea for milk now thinking about it ty for the suggestion.we had also planned on a few chickens for eggs.
again ty for your input

~meathead

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Being from Florida, Turtles, Gators, Snakes, CatFish, hmmm what else...Shoot, there's tons in FL that one could eat...Swamp Cabbage would be a staple

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

mmmm swamp cabbage, I haven't had that since I was a kid, we used to eat it all the time when I grew up in fla, and gator too! Turtles, smart, I forgot about those tasty treats!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

Mike,

With 20 acres, you have more than enough to be self sufficient. Keep your rabbits caged and close to your house. Most people would say cows but as you can tell, goats are just much easier to keep up. For your plant needs, how do berries grow up your way? I am in Bama btw so I am not familiar. Blackberries and blueberries make great jams and learning to can is an ability that will help you greatly even without the need for survival. If you don't know how to, learn to grow your own garden. Me and my wife did one for the first time this year and so far cucumbers have been extremely easy and we are waiting for the rest of our plants. Corn is also a great thing to learn to grow, but again, not familiar with how things grow up there. I am generally interested in all things survival as far as living off the land goes so anything you learn, please post it and keep me informed. (Really wonder why ATS doesn't have a survival board) Good luck in your adventures.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
If you live in warm climate it is more worthwhile to grow guinea pigs instead of rabbits since eating excessive amounts of rabbit can cause 'rabbit starvation' because rabbit meat is very lean.link

link   
reply to post by space cadet

well i appreciate your input and agree the more one can forage the better off they will be, but i was asking about sustainable livestock not hunting or fishing quarry.

I was only thinking rabbits because they breed so fast and can be kept in cages close in proximity to the camp where i can keep an eye on them .

~meathead

link   
Alligators ...

1) They sort of taste like chicken.

2) They've been around for millions of years so you know they can weather the storm.

3) They provide a certain element of ... let's call it security.

4) I'm not big on the boots ... but hey, why not

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
You could starve eating only rabbits. There is no fat on their meat and you could become malnourished. Chickens would be a predator dream. They are a bunch of dumb animals in a cage.

I'd recommend guinea fowl since they have a good warning system for predators, and they can eliminate a tick problem. They can provide meat and eggs, they are just a little prehistoric looking. Goats would also be a good idea too. they can keep predators away and could provide milk as well as meat.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
i'd breed insects. lots and lots of insects. they provide massive amount of protein, taste good when cooked and i don't have to worry about them dying. they feed off of each other and drink very little water, water i can be drinking in the fabled SHTF scenario.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

wild blue berries and blackberries galore, very tastey and good foraging even if not as big as there commercial counterparts.
i am an avid gardener with much experience, i dont intend to want for produce. my main concern was providing a consistant supply of meat after everyone in my area has hunted as efficiently as they can.

growing conditions up north are a bit differant but nothing you cannot overcome if you plan ahead and start plants early inside.
thanks again for your reply and input

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I have never heard of growing guinie pigs for food,i will look into that and thank you for the suggestion!

~meathead

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by belidged

thank you for the suggestion you are the second to mention this, definately worth looking into

~meathead

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Oh.. that's an easy question...

REPUBLICANS!

IRM

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

although im not a cannible you get a star for making me smile in such a gloomy thread!

~meathead

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

So they're going to Survive the Apocalypse? Is this your official prediction Sir?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join