It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrate the Ocean: World Ocean Day, June 8!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Tomorrow, June 8, 2010 is World Oceans Day, a day we use to celebrate the vital role the oceans play in our lives.

This year is especially important to use the day to celebrate the ocean and all that it gives us. With the devastation in the Gulf of Mexico from the BP oil spill, people's eyes are already on the waters. Use the day to reflect as well as educate others.

What does the ocean provide for you? What do you do for the ocean?

Peanut butter, every other breath you take, cancer medicine and one in six jobs in the United States.

What’s the connection?

It’s not Kevin Bacon. But if you guessed our oceans: you’re right!

You don’t need to live near the beach to be connected to the ocean. Oceans and coasts affect people’s lives every day, around the world.

The air we breathe. Oceans are a critical player in the basic elements we need to survive. Ocean plants produce half of the world’s oxygen, then these amazing waters absorb nearly one-third of human-caused carbon dioxide emissions. Oceans also regulate our weather and form the clouds that bring us fresh water.

The food on your plate. Besides seafood, oceans are connected to what you eat in many more ways. Ocean ingredients, like algae and kelp, are used in making peanut butter beer, soymilk and frozen foods. Plus, 36 percent of the world’s total fisheries catch each year is ground up into fishmeal and oil to feed farmed fish, chickens and pigs.

The items in your medicine cabinet. You’ll find ocean ingredients flowing out of your medicine cabinet in everything from shampoos and cosmetics to medicines that help fight cancer, arthritis, Alzheimer’s, heart disease, viruses and other diseases.

Jobs and the economy. One in six jobs in the United States is marine-related and more than $128 billion in GDP annually results from ocean tourism, recreation and living resources. Healthy marine habitats like reefs, barrier islands, mangroves and wetlands help protect coastal communities from the results of hurricanes and storm surges.

A shared resource. While many of us enjoy the spectacular recreational activities that oceans offer, for some people oceans are a lifeline for survival. Keeping oceans healthy keeps people healthy, and we each have a personal responsibility to protect our oceans.

Nature Conservancy Article

Oceans cover about 70% of the Earth's surface. The oceans contain roughly 97% of the Earth's water supply. Life on Earth began in it's oceans, and they are still home for some of the most diverse webs of life. Take the time to check out some of these links and learn more about Oceans:

Oceans Alive!

Enchanted Learning: Earth's Oceans

Why is the Ocean Salty?

The Ocean Channel

SeaWiFS Project

-----

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d8e297987e9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc2cdbe7e0d2.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5461ca5fa26f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa0b3dd44f38.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b0255e72c9a1.jpg[/atsimg]

-----

Google Video Link

-----

I decided to post this today, as it will be the 8th by the time I could post this later for some of the members.

Feel free to share a story, picture, video.. anything to do with our Oceans.

Thanks for reading.

Peace.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by broahes]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Wow broahes, what a moving thread,S&F. I recently took some Before pictures of a beach in my area, reluctantly, I am going to take the After pictures once the Oil corrodes it.

This is a beautiful thread my friend!! Thank you for posting it!!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Also, being that the oceans may never be the same as we know it after this spill, I feel this thread needs a bump. To all members that are on a coast line, regardless of the Country you live in, the BP Spill will eventually affect you speculatively. Cherish this day while you have it...

Once again OP...Truly outstanding thread!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Beautiful thread as always my friend!

I am so in love with water, I wish I could just swim all day long

Sadly, I can`t seem to find the pictures I took in Hawaii, so I`ll just post these:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f5ce1a02b22f.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f579e6127d5e.jpg[/atsimg]

And the most awesome feeling on the planet
free diving

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I just have to share this.. this guy is great:

Peace.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
yeah people, you better enjoy the beach trips while you can because by next year things wont be the same i'm afraid.
thank you

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by sandri_90
And the most awesome feeling on the planet
free diving

I have been free diving, in the Keys and off the coast of Mexico in San Carlos.

I have to agree with you, at least that it is one of the most amazing feelings in the world.

I have been waiting for the right time in life, but I'm really itching to get over to Australia and can assure you I can't wait to do it again.

Thanks for your kind words and your response. Peace.

Edit to say:

My avatar at the moment is just above where I was in San Carlos last year, beautiful waters there.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by broahes]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Awesome pictures.

I live pretty much right in the middle of the United States...so I don't get to see the Oceans very often

But I remember them from my vacations...and just sitting on the beach and looking...I think I could sit there all day.

Even though this oil is probably putting a bit of a downer on this...let's hope the Oceans are resilent enough to fight it off.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Great thread. S & F
Thanks for posting,

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I have no doubt that the oceans are going to be able to bounce back from this. The earth has gone through a lot more than us pesky humans could ever put her though. With that said.. we should do all we can to help her out.. considering how much she gives to us.
It's only right..

I can't imagine living so far away from the Ocean, and not being able to get there in an hour or two. I hope you get to visit more in the future, and that it's everything that you once enjoyed. I'm more fond of rivers, but that's all because of where and how I was raised I guess. The water in general is calming and has much peace to offer.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Once last little bit of info:

2010 Theme - Oceans of Life

Pick your favorite * Protect your favorite

This year’s theme focuses on our ocean’s great diversity of life and how we can all help in its conservation. Since everyone has a favorite ocean animal, we are interested in connecting their favorite species with what they can do to help conserve our world's ocean. Pick your favorite and protect it - try to pick just one favorite; it’s hard! We can help motivate people to take conservation action: Together, we can make a difference!

The wealth of life in the oceans is so incredibly important for so many reasons:

* Each of us relies on a healthy ocean with a rich diversity of life to provide most of the oxygen we breathe, much of the food we eat, as well as medicines and other essentials that we need to survive
* The ocean provides endless opportunities for inspiration and recreation such as diving, snorkeling, fishing, and boating. How much would you enjoy the ocean without its great diversity of life?
* The greater the diversity of life in the ocean the better job the ocean will do in helping maintain the planet’s normal climate conditions and in adjusting to a changing climate

With this year's theme focusing on "Oceans of Life" here are some related events to know about:

* The Census of Marine Life will celebrate a decade of discovery when they release their 10-year report in October, 2010. This scientific report seeks a much stronger understanding of the marine environment and its diverse life.
* 2010 is the 50th anniversary of a favorite children’s book One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss. The Seuss Foundation is working closely with The Ocean Project to help the colorful characters of Dr. Seuss come to life at our Partner sites around the world through “Seussian birthday parties”
* 2010 is also the International Year of Biodiversity, as designated by the United Nations, to try emphasize the value of biodiversity in all of our lives.

There are many ways you can get involved this year and we encourage you to start right now!

How celebrating World Oceans Day can help:

We can help make others more aware of the importance of the ocean in their daily lives by showing them ways to reduce their negative impact on the ocean, by reducing CO2 emissions. By joining with people all over the world in celebrating World Oceans Day, we can make a real difference for our oceans of life!

Ways to take personal action now:

* Forward this information to your friends and family – spreading the word is one of the most important things you can do right now.
* Check out the World Oceans Day action poster for simple things you can do to cut your CO2 emissions and celebrate the ocean.
* Plan a World Oceans Day event or participate in one near you.
* Use the World Oceans Day media and outreach kit to help spread the word about the ocean, its diversity of life, and climate change.
* Let us share your success stories with the world – send us information about how you or your group are helping to make a real difference!

Other ideas for learning and doing more:

* Browse our collection of some of the best aquatic and ocean conservation websites.
* Read an Ocean Book of the Month.
* Subscribe to Blue Planet News to Use, our seasonal e-newsletter.
* Subscribe to the monthly Seas the Day Action Tips: featuring a different conservation theme each month, with inspirational information and tangible ways to help.
* Become a World Oceans Day fan through facebook.
* Get the latest news and tips on twitter.
* Read The Ocean Project blog.

The Ocean Project - WOD Page

Enjoy the day.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Glad to look at photos of clean oceans again today, and remember that they do still exist. Have you ever done any diving in the Galapagos?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

No, I haven't.. but I did just check out some videos of some dives down there as well as some pictures. Maybe I will have to put it on my list.

Most of my diving experience has been in search and rescue in rivers and lakes, but I have done it for fun.. mostly in the Keys and off the Pacific coast of Mexico when I lived there for a while.

I would definitely like to now that I've seen these videos:

Peace.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hey thanks for posting those Galapagos videos; haven't seen them before.

new topics

top topics

join