It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep-water ban sending ripples through Houston

page: 1,

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Deep-water ban sending ripples through Houston

www.chron.com

A six-month government ban on deep-water drilling already has caused disruptions, forcing oil and gas firms to idle equipment and thousands of workers and scurry to redeploy them elsewhere. But even if the ban ends in November as scheduled, and it may not, Houston could feel the effects of the interruption long after.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
So this is the third type of fallout... The negative economic effects of the reaction to the original problem has lasting ramifications as we become more cautious ...

Why didn't they think longer term? Why didn't bp find safety to be as important as it should have been?

So now Texas is going to be effected as well.... One wonders how deep these economic effects can ripple....

www.chron.com

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
It looks like as many as 50,000 high paying jobs could be gone in that time. From what I've been reading all day, the rigs will start moving to other waters and it could be years or decades until they have any interest in coming back. Ironically, other countries will continue drilling in the Gulf.

Tens of thousands of wells drilled there and this is the first accident. Can we say Knee-jerk!

The other offshoot of the exaggeration and panic is what the Governor of Mississippi was upset about. Apparently those little tar balls have always washed up on their beaches from the natural seeps. What small oil patches they have seen have been quickly cleaned up. Problem is, the MSM has so fully turned this into a panic fest, the Tourists have stopped coming even though his States beaches are just fine.

He looked pissed as he read the riot act to a reporter I watched this morning. He blames the media for not giving good facts. I wonder if the media will pay for their damage? They have it sounding like the whole east coast and gulf are covered in oil.

This is a terrible thing, but the media and politicians are making it far worse. They could do more financial harm than the oil before this is over.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Agreed... There is enough economic damage which will be caused due to actual issues... we don't need a knee-jerk reaction like this causing even more unnecessary economic damage.

Sure this is a huge problem, but like you say, we've been drilling in the gulf for decades now....

This is a sad development.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

So this is the third type of fallout... The negative economic effects of the reaction to the original problem has lasting ramifications as we become more cautious ...

Why didn't they think longer term? Why didn't bp find safety to be as important as it should have been?

So now Texas is going to be effected as well.... One wonders how deep these economic effects can ripple....

www.chron.com

I don't think the problem was thinking longer term here. I think the biggest problem was ignoring what was right in front of them.

NEW YORK — BP knew of problems with an offshore well hours before it exploded last month, spilling millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, a House committee chairman said Wednesday.

Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., said the oil company told the Energy and Commerce subcommittee on oversight privately that the well failed a key pressure test just hours before it exploded on April 20.

The test indicated pressure was building up in the well, which could indicate oil or gas was seeping in and could lead to an explosion, said Waxman.

Source

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

What does this have to do with the ban on all drilling inthe gulf?

There's a lot of not thinking long term going on here...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I guess I was pointing out the easily preventable chain of events that resulted in the subject at hand. We wouldn't even be discussing this had this easily preventable chain of events not occurred.

Really I feel no pity as there are more than a dozen already drilled and not even close to depleted oil wells in my state that are no longer being harvested. In fact all those workers where laid off. Where was the concern for their families when BP, Chevron, and Shell oil started closing them down? There is plenty of oil right under my feet as we speak. Why then are they still closed down?

These oil companies claimed they needed to cut costs because of the "Economic Crisis". I believe this would be a good opportunity to get these rigs up and running again. I wouldn't mind another "Oil Boom" around here. There are plenty of alternatives to drilling in the water right here at home. Yet no one ever hears about them, especially when mass lay offs take place.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Ruling on drilling ban could come tomorrow

Gawd, I can't even believe anyone is still considering drilling any more wells in the gulf. Are some humans totally incapable of learning anything from this catastrophe? What will it take, a BIGGER catastrophe? These people are either total morons, or totally evil and hell bent on destroying the planet in the name of corporate profit. Gawd, I pray to GAIA that she can either teach humanity a lesson, or gas all their asses off the planet to save the Earth from destruction. Unbelievable. How can anyone be so damn stupid and/or evil to think we should keep playing with disaster? Seriously, there is no hope for humanity. GAIA, send the lot of them to hell! Unreal.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
it's not really to do with where they drill, but why.

the demand for oil is so great that more and more rigs are needed every year, some reports say that a rise as much as 45% in the coming years is neccessary to satisfy consumer demands for oil and gas and these figures will keep on rising until the population in mass changes there views and practices of useage and decide to move on to clean energy sources for their needs and break this cycle of oil demands.

disasters will keep happening, wether in your own backyard or not until such a time as demand drops or when all oil finally runs out.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Blaine you mention in your post that is "other" foreign companies drilling in the Gulf beside PB, but for what I know (I could be mistaken) the Gulf is all US base companies and only BP is the foreign company with rights.

Is any other foreign companies operating in US soil that I am not aware off? I am wondering about that.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by redgy
the demand for oil is so great that more and more rigs are needed every year, ...

NOTHING should justify the destruction of our oceans and our lands. Absolutely NOTHING, not the economy, not your way of life and lifestyle, not even the overall survival of humanity. Nothing should justify the destruction of Earth just to support this unnatural way of life that humanity has chosen to pursue.

Hey, I'm not one of them gawdang selfish self-gratifying planet trashing meat monkeys that must have their ipods and ipads and other plastic icrap in order to survive. I'm ready to chuck it all and go back to living in a pre-industrial age way of life to save the planet and all her other wildlife. I just don't understand the BLEEPS that would prefer to destroy it all, everything, the entire planet wide eco system, just so they can pursue this unnatural self-gratifying hoity toity elitist plastic lifestyle of excesses and planet trashing ways. SCREW world demand for oil and SCREW all those that would want to destroy this planet and my grandchildren's future just so they can have iCrap and fast cars .. may their kind rot and burn in hell!

Pray with me that mother nature, GAIA, can see how evil the vast majority of humanity has become and takes action to defend herself and can separate the good humans from the planet trashing excess ones and then destroy all them that would sellout the planet and their descendants future because they want cheat gas and lot of plastic crap to adorn their horribly selfish self-gratifying unnatural lifestyles. May she reduce the human population to about 11% of what it is today in order to save the planet from destruction at the hands of the icky humans on Earth that just won't give it up already.

top topics

join