It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know what they say about High-Fructose Corn Syrup right?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
Why can't we have supermarkets that care about their customers, to the point where they refuse to market certain all dangerous "products"?

The manufactures of dangerous foods spend a lot of money advertising their foods. However the right advertising campaign, without the right facts (and legal consultation, to take advantage of the First Amendment) could be a very powerful form of advertising in itself. E.g. "If people want to get thin, live longer, be happier then they should shop at your supermarket."

We actually have grocery stores like this---your local health food store. Try Whole Foods markets, they have stores all over the country and they really have a huge selection of products.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Originally posted by babybunnies

I was in Europe last year, and it was interesting to see that in general, their healthy fruit and veg was less expensive than their junk food - something that is the reverse here in USA AND Canada. Fruit and veg is subsidized in England, and the schools have to offer healthy alternatives now by law for lunches, and vending machines are banned in primary schools (equivalent to US elementary schools).

So.....why is Europe experiencing a surge in obesity, much like the one we experienced 10 years ago?

Because it's not just HFCS we are being poisoned by and have to watch out for.

Check out these links about how rats are not naturally obese, so scientists inject baby rats with MSG to make them obese so they can do studies on them.

Hundreds of studies have been done on rats made obese with MSG. One such study was dated 1978!

This article about MSG gives a link to some of the actual studies.

Soy products may be another big item that is pushed and made to seem healthy, when it actually may not be all that good for you, especially since it is in more and more products, like with HFSCs.

I have read that soy (as in drinking a lot of soy milk) can actually cause men to develop *man breasts* and may cause other health problems such as thyroid problems.

Other potential health effects are noted in this article, Is Soy Healthy?

I knew about the HFCS study, and I also knew that the processing method could sometimes result in the product being contaminated with mercury. Of course, the spin doctors (for HFCS being harmless) are already busy spinning.

A lot of my in-laws and family members are obese or overweight and when the subject comes up I tell them what I know about artificial sweetners, HFSC, MSG, the dangers of soy, and other things related to health and obesity. I keep telling them even though they sometimes roll their eyes at me, "here we go again".

I keep telling them if they don't believe me, do some research online and see for themselves, FOLLOW THE MONEY, in other words, who tends to gain (pun intended), by telling a lie.

I'm in my 50's, have had 3 kids, the last one when I was 40, and I'm very thin and fit, heck, the doctor said he'd never seen cholesterol results and blood pressure as good as mine.

I pretty much eat what I want, butter, sweets, you name it, but in moderation, and try to avoid things I feel are bad for me, after weighing different viewpoints, and of course, following THE MONEY.

It does take some diligence to avoid all the things which may cause obesity but we have to try so we can all be healthier, and so our kids can be healthier.

Unfortunately, many people aren't even aware of what is being done to them through their food. They trust that the government is doing it's part to keep them safe, but most people don't know that the government is in bed with the FDA and big business, a nasty menage au trois of evil for profit.

So OP, thanks for bringing this information to the forefront for those who might not have known about HFCS. Hopefully, the more people talk about these things, the more people will start paying attention, so they can protect themselves and improve their health.

God Bless

sezsue

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kissy princess

Back in the day - when we all felt safe there were commercials like:

C & H, "pure" cane sugar, in Hawaii, growin in the sun

These days - we actually have commercials about nothing but a drug for anything, but commercials that guarantee things like "corn syrup"

From this day forward - if there is a commercial politically and corporately motivated like telling me (corn syrup) is good for me - I ain't eatin it!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Just from what I can remember the last few years

Mattel - millions of lead based toys - China

Dog food - chemical Melamine (used in anti freeze) deadly chemical (pets died) - China

Baby Formula - Melamine (used in anti freeze) deadly chemical - China

Halloween Candy - produced in China - Melamine - Youtube it (Melamine Halloween Candy)

Cough Syrup - over seas - Melamine (used in anti freeze) deadly chemical(people died)

Totino's Pepperoni Frozen Pizza - E-coli

Endless ground beef recalls - E-coli

Peter Pan Peanut Butter - Salmonella

McDonalds - Shrek glasses recall - Cadmium - NJ manufacturer

Procter & Gamble has recalled some 120,000 units of Vicks Sinex nasal spray because of possible bacterial contamination

Zicam Nasal Gel and Zicam Nasal Swabs products, may lead to permanent or long-lasting loss of the sense of smell and taste in some users

Corn Syrup - body doesn't break it down because it doesn't recognize it - Fat

Soy - creates a hormone that causes breasts to grow in boys and some men

We won't even go in to Aluminum

Yeah - someone is making sure people go faster than ever - and to them - its all good

China has our number as well as several international distributors - many in the US - and the FDA and Health Inspectors are more than complicit

Now today I get this:
Blacksmith Brands, Inc., issued a recall of four of its PediaCare cold and allergy products for children on the heels of the poor conditions found in the McNeil Consumer Healthcare Fort Washington, Pa., plant, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced. The four product lines were made at the plant under a contract with McNeil, a division of Johnson & Johnson.

See full article from WalletPop: www.walletpop.com...

This is just what goes mainstream - this is sick #$@#$

Wasn't it Bayer who was found to have sent out product with AIDS - targeting races and anyone else they feel isn't a part of their "ORDER"

[edit on 7-6-2010 by arizonascott]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This is all just part of the global eugenics programme and human depopulation but they want to make you sick for a period of time to get as nuch of your wealth by supplying you with their drugs, it all makes sense in this light but only if you have the eyes to see...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
When will anything on television be truthful? They can advertise a meal from McDonald's being low fat and hoards of people will rush to buy it.

Yeah we are all saturated by a lifetime molding of indoctrination. Keep wondering when this stuff reaches like a critical threshold, and all completely had enough of it , and we will ban this from happening ever again!! Oh it sickens me, just like NGC and Discovery they broadcast such crappy programs whilst they could reach such so many people with so much more interesting information. Also the scientific stuff, if it's about the universe, it's mostly about how destructive it is, and all the bad things that could happen to humanity one time ("it can be tomorrow, it can be 10 years, it can be 100.000 years..." blabla comee on) most information, be it theories they'll explain it like they are facts. OK we know we all should get our head with it when we check stuff on media like that ( PRAISE ATS, PRAISE ATTSS =D ( but offcourse, also ATS ) , most of us learned to develop some kind of "information-filter-interpreter". But anyway, a lot of people are just tending to take the information for granted. Just pouring it in.. I guess you feel me..

All big up yourselves
Take care all

Pz fam

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jdills1196

That video was the ****
haha

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
Yes, damn all these modern, scientific advances. I prefer to go back in time where we only lived to the ripe old age of 30 at the most and had to do everything by hand. I prefer to live in the day and age where the common cold could be a death sentence. I prefer to live where I had to strike two rocks together in order to make fire so I don't have to eat the raw meat of the mastodon I just killed using only sticks and rocks. Since it is popular to hate anything mass produced, I am going to jump on the bandwagon of hating everything and anything that someone on the internet can tie into some conspiracy. The conspiracy would require me to do my own research to make up my own mind, but I don't have to, because I read something against it on the internet...and I so like to believe in conspiracy that I'm not going to bother to look into it myself. That would be boring. I grew up on TV and Hollywood, so I have been programmed to accept the absurd, and this is no exception.

Has anyone here actually looked into how the body digest and metabolizes this product? If you have, then I guess there are hundreds of other things you wont eat either, most of which are 100% natural.

And lets not bother talking about the root cause of any disease or disorder that can be linked to this product....which is personal discipline. Last I checked, you can get fat and sick off anything you eat too much off, combined with a sedate lifestyle. Why not ignore stuff like this and educate people how to eat right and exercise on a regular basis.

The food your putting in your mouth is not the problem. Ignorance is. As is the case most often in this modern, lazy and ignorant modern society, folks want to lash out at anything and everything rather as an excuse as to why were are(take your pick):

Too fat
Too lazy
Too stupid
Too poor
Too controlled
Too...whatever, you get the point.

If your too ignorant to control what goes in your friggin mouth on a regular basis, and too stupid to get off the couch and do a little normal exercise...sure I can see why you would get on the internet and blame all your woes on some big, evil corporation. This stuff kills me, it really does.

And to the guy who ripped the cable out of his wall......seriously? You must not put much faith in your ability to correctly educated your family, and you must think they are morons to boot. I have no problem letting anyone in my family watch pretty much anything they want. They have been raised with common sense, reason and logic.....nothing a cable channel can take away from them. I feel so sorry for those who feel they can't parent good enough to combat pop culture and "cable tv" without having to go to such extremes to limit it to their kids. I fear your offspring will become a major part of the problem after they "leave the nest" and are exposed to the very things you hid from them...they will have no "natural immunity" built up that would have developed from years of good parenting combined with exposure to the very things your ignorantly afraid of. They are prime candidates for the thousands of modern snake oil salesman out there thanks to your inability to properly educate them.

well as your name suggest you have clearly ignored the facts.

granted you make good points about peoples lifestyles and how they need to be more active and take control of their own habits. no one is debating this issue so why bring it up??

OBVIOUSLY IF YOU SIT ON YOUR BACKSIDE AND DO NOTHING BUT EAT FOOD YOU WILL GET SICK. what kind of stupid statement is that??? i didnt think the title of the thread was "hey point out the bleeding obvious"

the point the op is trying to make and if you stayed on topic you would understand this, is that the adverts are omitting certain facts that could help the consumer make a more educated choice. instead they use heavily biased and emotive language to ridicule and make the person questioning the safety of something to look ignorant. last time checked ignorance was accepting anything without question??? RIGHT?? SO IM SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE THEM JUST BECAUSE THEY SAY SO? im not allowed to ask questions??

is that the world you want to live in?? everybody just believes everything everybody tells them?? i dont know what you angle is but i have noticed a trend in your posting style.

the op has posted numerous links to substantiate their claim and also a very detailed explanation of how fructose is metabolized in the body. all you did was rant on about fat people?????

sorry buddy im just trying to look at this thing logically and the only thing i see is a massive company spending millions on something i wouldnt even waste a cent of it it wasnt true.

to give you an example if you were crap at your job and people started saying you were you would defend yourself by saying you were not. giving examples of how hard you worke and saying the people spreading the rumors were just envious of you. on the other hand if you knew you worked had and you knew your boss knew you wouldnt give a dam what people though about you. BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE TRUTH AND SO WOULD THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER.

this doesnt even get to the whole GM corn and all the rest of that. just to be clear i love modern conveniences i love having a hot shower. i love that i can have take away at 4 am. i love that i can catch a flight to another country instead of spending months on a boat. who here is hating on progress???? nobody. i love eating sweet food. I JUST DONT WANT TO DIE AS A RESULT OF IT. is there something wrong with that? why cant i have my cake and eat it (pun intended).

i dont care how crazy science gets. yeah lets splice all the genes we can get our hands on but lets do it safely not more economically. the problem is multimillion dollar corporations is they only care about 1 thing. you need to drill this buit of info into your brain. drill it in and let it sit there. THEY ONLY WANT MORE PROFIT. is profit was 2% next year it has to be 2.5% if it doesnt go up the CEO GETS AXED AND SOMEONE ELES TAKES THEIR PLACE. now if your the ceo of a multibillion dollar company and you lavish lifestyle is on the line your kids want a new Bentley you wife just maxed out the 100k credit card and you looking for a new holiday home in the Bahamas. and all this relies on you making an extra.5% by using a product that MAY have some unsavory side effects that cant be directly linked to you or your company or even if it could you are confident the spin doctors in public relations can spin it. You think that ceo would even think twice??? do you know what kind of person you have to be to get to that position in a company that big and powerful? i have been in sales for almost a year and a half and i can assure you its cut throat AT MY LEVEL. at that level of management its downright murder.

you need to either wake up or choose a side. usually i wouldnt say this as i dont believe in side good or bad they both serve a purpose. but this isnt about whats right and wrong. im just telling you whats going on. you decide if its good for you or bad for you. unless you have shares in the company making this crap i find it hard to see how this might benefit you. but thats just me i like to weight up my options based on logic.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

Myth: High fructose corn syrup contains DNA from genetically modified corn.
Reality: While the corn used to produce high fructose corn syrup may or may not have been produced using genetically enhanced corn, existing scientific literature and current testing results indicate that cornDNA cannot be detected in measurable amounts in high fructose corn syrup.

www.sweetsurprise.com...
This one made me laugh the most......may or may not. Odds look like they just might be gmo

[edit on 6/7/2010 by concerned190]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProUSA
What do you guys think we should use instead of HFCS? Just good ol' natural sugar, or? Now, don't be confused, I'm not defending the use of HFCS, I simply just want to know if there is an alternative that I don't know about!
[edit on 7-6-2010 by ProUSA]

YES!

There are several better choices available, in my opinion:

1. Stevia - found in Truvia, Sun Crystals, and all by itself at health food stores.
www.stevia.net...
www.steviainfo.com...

2. Agave Nectar - made form the Agave plant.
en.wikipedia.org...
The Truth about Agave

3. Honey

4. Xylitol - A sugar alcohol better tolerated than Sorbitol by most individuals.
en.wikipedia.org...
www.xylitol.org...

Of course you can get more information about these products using any search engine.

By the way, OP, great post! They're telling us that HFCS is comparable to refined sugar and carefully not mentioning that refined sugar isn't very good for us, either!

The new smart balance milk commercial annoys the heck out of me, too. 2% milk has more saturated fat than french fries.. Bah! Of course it does .. potatoes are a starchy vegetable and they're cooked in vegetable oil .. so no saturated fat. DUH!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

When will anything on television be truthful? They can advertise a meal from McDonald's being low fat and hoards of people will rush to buy it.

If people hear it's low fat, most will buy two.

Also, I really enjoyed your avatar.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Amazingly, I heard of a report a few years ago about one positive side-effect of fasting, yes, Biblical or cleansing-type, or spiritually-based fasting: it produces a chemical that appears to defend against Parkinson's.

Also, one of the best videos I have ever seen tying fluoride and nutrition into tooth decay is posted here on ATS by another member, and is called "The Beautiful Truth."

The member insisted that this was a most important video that every person should see, and I certainly agree.

The information supports eliminating/reducing the processed sugars in our diets, along with processed flours and bread products, since the sugar in them are not what our bodies are physically able to process for optimal dental health.

Indigenous tribes had little incident of tooth decay or oral problems. They also never brushed or used fluoride products, of course. So one intrepid scientist went around the world and found the commonalities:

All boiled down to one thing, native diets contained natural sugars, which naturally REPEL bacteria and actually protect the teeth, once ingested by our bodies. They are put to use and defend our teeth, rather than leave them weak and defenseless without enough natural nutrients to stay strong and healthy.

Nature provided them the exact balance of nutrients to keep their teeth in great shape and the key was what they ate, not how they brushed or how sweet the fruit was, etc. The sugars did not cause decay.

Processed sugar does, but as a nutrient, not as a topical deposit, as we are often taught. Brushing is definitely a must, but not as effective at tooth health as diet changes which are made one at a time, on purpose.

It also points out that mercury fillings are constantly degassing in our mouths, and need to be removed asap by a dentist trained to remove them properly. This step can immediately improve health and a general feeling of wellbeing since the mercury is immediately stopped from emitting its vapors directly into one's mouth.

Truly chilling, but the source of many powerful and intelligent choices we can actually make now.

I cannot recommend it enough, and thanks to the member who posted it with such passionate insistence.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by digalog

Yeah we are all saturated by a lifetime molding of indoctrination. Keep wondering when this stuff reaches like a critical threshold, and all completely had enough of it , and we will ban this from happening ever again!! Oh it sickens me, just like NGC and Discovery they broadcast such crappy programs whilst they could reach such so many people with so much more interesting information. Also the scientific stuff, if it's about the universe, it's mostly about how destructive it is, and all the bad things that could happen to humanity one time ("it can be tomorrow, it can be 10 years, it can be 100.000 years..." blabla comee on) most information, be it theories they'll explain it like they are facts. OK we know we all should get our head with it when we check stuff on media like that ( PRAISE ATS, PRAISE ATTSS =D ( but offcourse, also ATS ) , most of us learned to develop some kind of "information-filter-interpreter". But anyway, a lot of people are just tending to take the information for granted. Just pouring it in.. I guess you feel me..

All big up yourselves
Take care all

Pz fam

Sorry for the long quote, but I cannot agree with you enough.

As a lover of science, it frustrates and often outrages me when I see theory after lovely theory ruined by being treated as fact.

I have a sickening feeling these types of programs, which I have noticed as well as yourself, are taking a distinct turn towards marketing to people who want to learn, but possibly those who did not attend college, and are flooded with so many theories it makes the head spin, all offered as though these are long-established facts that "educated" people know.

Anyone who has the least bit of critical thinking skills realizes this is insulting and obviously from a viewpoint that most people can be easily led and won't notice the constant innuendos, etc. It's absolute, condescending, terror-mongering and not history, not science.

This kind of assumption further annoys anyone who does them the honor of taking them seriously. Soon enough, one can't help but notice that they never quite present actual facts or proof.

Just keep piling on frightening and confusing theories, mixing up real and speculative histories, keeping people wondering why but always leading them on to new threats, new fears, new things to fear.

I think it's easy to see that this is not by accident. But what do we see about health issues? That it's our own fault, which I find fascinating since things like Splenda, which none of us asked for, was actually developed as a pesticide.......where's the breaking news on that?

As long as no one is reporting on things like that until we all stop using them, I have less and less interest or use for the mindbending nonsense distracting us on the tube these days.

Even news is ridiculous, with the blah blah on the large part of the screen with the attractive faces and the important world events reduced to a caption line, one sentence long for each and every thing deemed worthy to be there, from celebrities to medical news, but rarely the stuff that matters most, like the promotion and use of pesticides for sweetening purposes.

Honey, on the other hand, is ignored, considered quaint, and usually cooked and homogenized anyway, which destroys most of its many, many health benefits, including use for healing wounds, poured directly on and loosely bandaged.

Argh.....Do what you can. It really does help, and the results are very obvious.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I agree we put many many more poisons in our food beyond just HFC, but this thread is on the crazy propaganda commercials.

some one mentioned fibromyalgia earlier, thats what V.A. finaly decided I was suffering from. wether it is or not I dont know, but I have been working on trying to cut out as much processing involved with my food as posible and I have noticed a difference. It hasnt cured anything by any means, but I do notice a difference. I knew all the additives and overly processed stuff was bad for me but didnt try overly hard to cut it out untill i spent 6 months in sweden living off of burgerking, salami, cheese and fresh baked bread everyday and lost 30 somthing pounds and felt much better than i did before i arrived. after i found out they were more strict on what was allowed in their food over there i started to do my research and cutting out as much as i could.

the "in moderation" line kills me also. like someone else said, how can you have it in moderation when its in everything. not just in everything but in insane ammounts in everything.

personaly i dont know which conspiracy theory is right, but im prety sure the main problem here in the states anyway goes back to money. without going too far off topic I hope, it comes down to our desire for profits over everything else including other peoples health. i know you could argue, dont blame us we are the good guys, we just make the stuff all those other companies are the ones who use it as a main ingredient.

there is plenty of blame to go around.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Coming from a country that feeds their kids pizza for breakfast before school, I am not surprised that Americans fall for this.
People can blame who they like for these health issues related to food, but the only people really to blame are yourselves.
Stop eating the sh*t and you don't get fat.

Its that simple.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
So to comment on diet in general I started reading a book The Metabolic Typing Diet) which was publised awhile ago and the Science it self is actually from the 70's. Metabolic Typing which is the idea that each person has their own individual makeup in regards to what nutrients and types of foods they need for optimal health.

Basically Western Medicine is only good for acute issues like broken arm, gun shot wound etc etc. All chronic problems of the body such as diabetes, depression, tierdness etc etc can be traced back to a bodily process which is out of whack.

Our world only treats the symptoms and not the root cause. I just found out I'm a heavy Carb type and need to stay away from Fat, and heavy meats like Red meat etc. You could be a protein type which needs primarily Fat and and protein.

Point is this one size fits all approach to nutrition (food pyramid) and western medicine (think prescription drugs) just doesn't work for individuals. We are too diverse and unique and need customized solutions.

As for HFCS, aspartame I do not use at all. I also stay away from Flouride and since doing so my teeth have improved and I have had no cavities in 4-5 years. (I used to always get them when i was an unconscious eater)

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I am soooooo happy that someone caught onto this! I just saw this commercial the other day and i just could not believe they would even try to run a disinformation add about HFCS. It has been shown time and time again to be terrible, and the real facts do not lie. I think i am going to make a spoof of these commercials and buy some add time on the air. The characters would say all the same stuff but when the guy says you know what they say.....the other guy rather than looking like an idiot would be like...."well they say it is NOT natural as just corn, it ISNT good in any moderation, etc etc!" Just to get the real truth out there. Anyone wanna help?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I think it's great that they had to make commercials like these..it lets me know they know people are getting concerned and are trying to do damage control on the sheeple. Also, the tag line "in moderation". So let me get this straight, for argument sake, one popsicle or cup (8oz) of juice/soda could be considered "in moderation". How many people drink ONLY that much? Not many I'd say. I used to drink 10-12 mountain dews a DAY, every day. I did it for years so no wonder I always carried extra weight.

I gave up soda about 4 years ago but after 2 years off I started slowly drinking it again but I'd only drink about 1/2 can a day by sipping on it all day. Guess what? After reintroducing it to my body I came down with the condition of gout. I just watched the video on sugar and loved it-it even referenced gout. I think by giving my system time to get rid of it and then reintroducing it is what caused it. I'm happy to say I got off of soda about 3 months after I started it again. I thought, 'why did I work so hard just to do it to my body again?' No more gout episodes, my uric acid levels are in check and I've lost 20 pounds with 20 more as a goal which will put me at 180 and I'm hitting the gym again and feeling much better.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I find it funny that the girl who's against corn syrup in the first commercial is Buffy's (the vampire slayer's) freshman year demon roommate from season 4.

On the lighter side, check out this spoof of the corn syrup commercials:

www.youtube.com...

A little humorous, evil drag queen

...not only is it difficult to avoid corn syrup, it's hard to avoid all sorts of corn products, like maltodextrin...or whatever it's called.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Sphota]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

In the US, Maltodextrin is made from corn starch; in Europe it's made from wheat starch.

-Dev

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join