It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know what they say about High-Fructose Corn Syrup right?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Your absolutely correct about personal discipline....however, by putting a tax on sugar, and giving huge subsidies to farms for corn production, economically we create the incentive to develop HFC and then put in in everything: thus the reason why its sooo cheap to eat food bad for you while healthy food stays relatively expensive. Sometimes its not always about discipline so much as saving money to buy cheaper, yet unhealthier food.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Excellent thread! The commericals are extremely annoying and I actually never knew anything about HFCS, so thanks for putting this out there for everyone to read. Bottom line though is that theres too much of both in todays drinks. You look at the nutritional facts on a bottle of soda and its 36 grams. Its ridiculous. Whenever I buy a bottle of gatorade or something I have to add half water to it. Its sickening to think your drinking down that much sugar in the matter of minutes.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Their calling sugar a nutrition in this add, wtf

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
What's even scarier is that HFCS is also in foods that aren't highly advertised, for example, mayonnaise.

My local store brand and the next nearest competitor in low price both use HFCS. The two most expensive brands, Hellman's and Cain's all natural, do not use it.

Most of the inexpensive store brands on other items like ketchup, and canned or frozen vegetables use tons of additives and preservatives and other chemicals that the higher priced brands do not.

Unfortunately, most shoppers, especially those with large families on a budget, will choose the lowest cost items to save money. They don't even know how much of this stuff they are throwing into their children.

I always read the labels on everything and avoid HFCS as much as possible.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteMagicWoman
What's even scarier is that HFCS is also in foods that aren't highly advertised, for example, mayonnaise.

My local store brand and the next nearest competitor in low price both use HFCS. The two most expensive brands, Hellman's and Cain's all natural, do not use it.

Most of the inexpensive store brands on other items like ketchup, and canned or frozen vegetables use tons of additives and preservatives and other chemicals that the higher priced brands do not.

Unfortunately, most shoppers, especially those with large families on a budget, will choose the lowest cost items to save money. They don't even know how much of this stuff they are throwing into their children.

I always read the labels on everything and avoid HFCS as much as possible.

I was shocked to learn it was in the breakfast cereal I was buying, and it wasn't the sweet sugary kind either, it was a store brand version of Rice Krispies.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I wonder how the FDA would feel if someone were to make their own parody of this commercial and pay for it privately to air on national TV. I can see it now... All Natural Coccaine, it sweetens anything you put it on and its fine in moderation.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Thanks OP - We don't get these ads in Canada - so was interesting to see.

Canadians are obviously too smart to buy into all the hype around HFCS, but not smart enough to stop buying all the products they use every day that contain them. Personally, I won't eat ANYTHING that contains HFCS..

They keep pushing this as an "alternative" to sugar, but nearly all the products that contain this have very high doses of sugar in them AS WELL as HFCS.

When will they tell the American public that the obesity epidemic has really hit only since HFCS was introduced into the food supply in large amounts, in pretty much EVERY processed food in the supermarket? I saw a documentary the other day that said that over TWO MILLION Americans fit into the "Super Morbidly Obese" category - weighing OVER 550 pounds. Go back two or three generations and I bet you'd be hard pressed to find 2,000 people WORLDWIDE in this category.

Countries around the world that don't allow HFCS (or have diets low in sugar and processed foods) have very low obesity rates.

Watch "King Corn" for a real eye opener about HFCS. If HFCS has "the same nutrients and the same calories" as sugar, why don't people use it instead of sugar if it's so good for you? Put it in their coffee and tea, or spread it over the top of their cereal?

Advertisiing HFCS as "good for you" is like giving HFCS candy to a baby, and completely brainwashing the American public - probably why other countries don't allow these ads.

I'd love to see them find ONE INDEPENDANT nutritionist or dietician that will say that HFCS is okay as part of ANY healthy eating plan.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I can't watch the videos right now; work blocks youtube. But thanks for the thread...

Originally posted by concerned190
To greatly simplify the situation: When too much fructose enters the liver, the liver can't process it all fast enough for the body to use as sugar. Instead, it starts making fats from the fructose and sending them off into the bloodstream as triglycerides.

ALL fructose is metabolized in the liver. It's either stored as liver glycogen or it's essentially converted to VLDL (triglycerides). Unfortunately, it doesn't end there. VLDL count is directly proportional to LDL count. In fact, the Very Low-Density Lipoproteins are precursors for Low-Density Lipoproteins.

You mentioned an insulin spike...I'll just expound upon your details. Fructose is considered extremely lipogenic (fat producing). The body can only store a small amount in the form of glycogen, the rest is ejected into the blood stream as fat. Combine glucose with fructose (Sucrose, High-Fructose Corn Syrup) and you now have a perfect storm for fat accumulation.

Glucose goes directly to the bloodstream immediately spking insulin levels. Fructose spikes triglycerides after a short period. Generally, insulin will stay elevated for 2-5 hours after a rush of sucrose, depending on insulin sensitivity. Any excess glucose that isn't burned will eventually be shuttled, by insulin, to the liver to be "converted" to fat. The presence of insulin alone will shuttle all fats in the bloodstream to the adipocytes (fat cells) and lock them in until insulin lowers and the body begins to burn fat again for energy.

Glucose spikes insulin, fructose turns to fat....insulin shuttles the fat into fat cells while the body burns sugar for energy.

When bloodsugar is high, insulin locks fat in the cells so your body can clear glucose from the blood.....because it's NOT a good thing to have in high levels. But once glucose levels subside, insulin levels begin to drop and the body returns to burning fat and adipocytes are "unlocked" allowing fat to freely flow in and out.

In lab testing, Animals with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained 48 percent more weight than those eating a normal diet especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. They wern't just getting fat; they were demonstrating characteristics of obesity, including substantial increases in abdominal fat and circulating triglycerides, In humans, these same characteristics are known risk factors for high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, cancer and diabetes.

Here's the study you're referring to:

High-fructose corn syrup causes characteristics of obesity in rats: Increased body weight, body fat and triglyceride levels.

High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) accounts for as much as 40% of caloric sweeteners used in the United States. Some studies have shown that short-term access to HFCS can cause increased body weight, but the findings are mixed. The current study examined both short- and long-term effects of HFCS on body weight, body fat, and circulating triglycerides. In Experiment 1, male Sprague-Dawley rats were maintained for short term (8weeks) on (1) 12h/day of 8% HFCS, (2) 12h/day 10% sucrose, (3) 24h/day HFCS, all with ad libitum rodent chow, or (4) ad libitum chow alone. Rats with 12-h access to HFCS gained significantly more body weight than animals given equal access to 10% sucrose, even though they consumed the same number of total calories, but fewer calories from HFCS than sucrose. In Experiment 2, the long-term effects of HFCS on body weight and obesogenic parameters, as well as gender differences, were explored. Over the course of 6 or 7months, both male and female rats with access to HFCS gained significantly more body weight than control groups. This increase in body weight with HFCS was accompanied by an increase in adipose fat, notably in the abdominal region, and elevated circulating triglyceride levels. Translated to humans, these results suggest that excessive consumption of HFCS may contribute to the incidence of obesity. Copyright © 2010 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

HCFS also inhibits leptin secretion, so you never get the message that you’re full. And it never shuts off gherin, so, even though you have food in your stomach, you constantly get the message that you’re hungry.

Insulin influences leptin and nearly every other hormone. Many, many studies have shown that Insulin increases hunger.

-Dev

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigbomb456
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Your absolutely correct about personal discipline....however, by putting a tax on sugar, and giving huge subsidies to farms for corn production, economically we create the incentive to develop HFC and then put in in everything: thus the reason why its sooo cheap to eat food bad for you while healthy food stays relatively expensive. Sometimes its not always about discipline so much as saving money to buy cheaper, yet unhealthier food.

I was in Europe last year, and it was interesting to see that in general, their healthy fruit and veg was less expensive than their junk food - something that is the reverse here in USA AND Canada. Fruit and veg is subsidized in England, and the schools have to offer healthy alternatives now by law for lunches, and vending machines are banned in primary schools (equivalent to US elementary schools).

A six pack of coke in my mum's local Safeway grocery store was about 6 POUNDS (about $9 Canadian), compared with a 12 pack of coke for $4 (about 3 pounds) here in my Safeway in Canada. My sister was saying that there are very few drive thru windows outside the major cities (like London) and that my 8 year old nephew has never been inside a fast food restaurant - a stark contrast to friends in North America who have kids that ALL get into the fast food lifestyle within their first year.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Through my research on Chemtrails I have come to conclude that Monsanto is conspiring with the Chemtrailers (ie..entity in our government) with the simple motive of profit. Monsanto has indeed created aluminum resistant seeds and other such stuff. This is just the tip of the iceberg, history shows that their past business practices are full of greed and corruption.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Here

Watch this

www.google.com... OEO&ei=fxoNTOnlAcSblgellrmvDg&usg=AFQjCNGbSX4iWoR9bfadOGs_wqonYj5hOw

I know I'm goin to miss her, but a tomato ate my sister.....

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
This is crazy! I didn't realize that such a high percentage of soy and corn crops were Genetically Modified... generally that wouldn't bother me, but if 80% of corn is GM'ed, then I don't have much of a choice regarding whether or not I'll eat GM'ed food. You know what I mean?

I think I'll start going to the farmer's market for my fruit and vegetable needs...

Thanks for the thread. It was eye-opening.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Great thread. I've been working on cutting out HFCS for my family and kids. It's not easy though. I'm absolutely addicted to Coca Cola and it's proving hard to break the habit. And, yep, I'll admit to being weak willed and somewhat lazy, but it's hard. Now I'm reading more about the addictive qualities of HFCS and am buckling down.

nutrition.suite101.com...

High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), found in many processed foods, has replaced regular sugar in many products. It is six times sweeter than sugar. It does not act the same way as regular sugar in the body. HFCS does not stimulate insulin production, it is processed more like fat in the body. Some experts believe that it actually converts to fat faster and easier than regular sugar. It also could contribute to sugar cravings because if its super sweet flavor. Read more at Suite101: Understanding Sugar Addiction: The problems with sugar.

BTW, 5'11" 275, IQ 146. I'd LOVE to trade those numbers!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

I was in Europe last year, and it was interesting to see that in general, their healthy fruit and veg was less expensive than their junk food - something that is the reverse here in USA AND Canada. Fruit and veg is subsidized in England, and the schools have to offer healthy alternatives now by law for lunches, and vending machines are banned in primary schools (equivalent to US elementary schools).

So.....why is Europe experiencing a surge in obesity, much like the one we experienced 10 years ago?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by zamo1993
This is crazy! I didn't realize that such a high percentage of soy and corn crops were Genetically Modified... generally that wouldn't bother me, but if 80% of corn is GM'ed, then I don't have much of a choice regarding whether or not I'll eat GM'ed food. You know what I mean?

I think I'll start going to the farmer's market for my fruit and vegetable needs...

Thanks for the thread. It was eye-opening.

I buy local whenever possible. I also grow what I can. You would be amazed at what you can get in such a little space.

I'm in an apartment on the third floor, and my balcony garden so far has many of my herbs (basil, 2 parsleys, mint, thyme), tomatoes, spinach, swiss chard, arugala, radishes, green onions, and beans.

Look up "container gardening" if you're interested in growing some of your own.

Here's a pic of my balcony so far:

www.whitemagicwoman.com...

Many of the local garden centers around us also grow their own produce. Even though I'm in an apartment, I have a chest freezer and I freeze and put up (can) as much fresh as I can.

I can't wait until I get my own house and a real garden.

GM crops scare the bejeeeesus outta me...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Star and Flag for you my friend. Thank you very much for a very informative and intresting thread. The woman in the commercial defending high frutose corn syrup annoyed the h3ll outta me when I originally saw it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
A previous thread of mine:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Researchers in the US found that much of the high fructose corn syrup that is increasingly replacing sugar in processed foods is tainted with mercury, a metal that is toxic to humans. They also tested many branded food products and found they too contained mercury.

Here's a list of foods that contain HFCS:
www.accidentalhedonist.com...

Baking and Cooking ingredients

Kellogg's® Corn Flake Crumbs
Nabisco Oreo Cookie Crumbs
Shake n Bake - Tangy Honey Glaze
Shake n Bake - Honey Mustard Glaze
Stove Top Stuffing - Chicken
Stove Top Stuffing - Cornbread
Stove Top Stuffing - Homestyle Herb
Stove Top Stuffing - Pork
Stove Top Stuffing - Turkey

Beverages:

A&W Root Beer
Capri-Sun Sport Drink
Coca-Cola
Darigold Chocolate Milk
Hanson's All-Natural Soda (all flavors)
Hanson's Tonic Water
Jones Soda
Newman's Own Pink Lemonade
Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice
Orangenia
Pepsi
PowerAde
Snapple -Cranberry Raspberry Juice Drink
Sprite
Starbucks' Frappuccino
Thomas Kemper Soda's
Tropicana OrangeAde
Tropicana Smoothies
Village Lemonade

Breakfast Cereals

Kellogg's Frosted Rice Krispies®
Kellogg's Tony's Cinnamon Krunchersâ„¢
Kellogg's Corn Flakes®
Kellogg's Frosted Flakes®
Kellogg's Smorz®
Kellogg's Special K® Red Berries
Kellogg's All-Bran® Bran Buds®
Kellogg's All-Bran® Extra Fiber
Kellogg's All-Bran® Original
Kellogg's Apple Jacks®
Kellogg's Cinnamon Crunch Crispixâ„¢
Kellogg's Cocoa Krispies®
Kellogg's Complete® Oat Bran Flakes
Kellogg's Complete® Wheat Bran Flakes
Kellogg's Fruit Harvestâ„¢ Strawberry Blueberry
Kellogg's Honey Crunch Corn Flakes®
Kellogg's Kellogg's Crunchy Blends™ Just Right® Fruit & Nut
Kellogg's Kellogg's Crunchy Blendsâ„¢ Low Fat Granola without Raisins
Kellogg's Kellogg's Crunchy Blendsâ„¢ Low Fat Granola With Raisins
Kellogg's Mini-Wheats® Frosted Bite Size
Kellogg's Mini-Wheats® Frosted Original
Kellogg's Mini-Wheats® Strawberry
Kellogg's Crunchy Blends™ Mueslix® with Raisins, Dates & Almonds
Kellogg's Product 19®
Kellogg's Raisin Bran
Kellogg's Raisin Bran Crunch®
Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats® Cereal
Kellogg's Rice Krispies®
Kellogg's Smart Start® Antioxidants
Kellogg's Smart Start® Soy Protein
Kellogg's Special K®
Kellogg's Special K® Vanilla Almond
Kellogg's Fruit Harvestâ„¢ Peach Strawberry
Kellogg's SpongeBob SquarePantsâ„¢ Cereal
Kellogg's Corn Flakes® with Real Bananas
Kellogg's Spider-manâ„¢ Spidey-Berry Cereal
Kellogg's Kellogg's Frosted Flakes® 1/3 Less Sugar
Kellogg's Special K® low carb lifestyle
Kellogg's Fruit Harvestâ„¢ Banana Berry
Kellogg's Disney Pixar Finding Nemoâ„¢ Cereal
Kellogg's All-Branâ„¢ Bars Honey Oat
Kellogg's All-Branâ„¢ Bars Brown Sugar Cinnamon
Kellogg's Disney Pixar The Incrediblesâ„¢
Kellogg's Tiger Power
Kellogg's Smart Start® Healthy Heart
Kellogg's Disney Lilo & Stitchâ„¢
Kellogg's Special K® Fruit & Yogurt
Kellogg's Mini Swirlzâ„¢ Fudge Ripple
Kellogg's Toasted Honey Crunchâ„¢
Kellogg's Cran-Vanilla Crunchâ„¢
Post Blueberry Morning Cereal

-Dev

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

And then they sell you poison Shrek glasses for your children to drink out of - we have the whole damn set!

We are being poisoned from every angle and if this isn't an attempt at world depopulation - I don't what else it could be. Its not about just cutting corners and profit.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

That was very well written and presented. I think you did a really good job informing everyone about HFCS that it is important enough to know why we produce so much of it for food and drinks. Like you said HFCS is corn syrup that has its molecular structure altered to convert a majority of its glucose into fructose, but where does all the corn syrup in that process come from? It comes from "yellow corn." What is yellow corn, why do we have so much of it, and why do we have so little natural sugar?

In 1977, the United States Government imposed a system of sugar tariffs and sugar. Why would the U.S. government impose a system of tariffs and quotas on imported sugar? They did this because they knew we can’t grow enough sugarcane in the U.S. homeland to feed the country’s sweet tooth thus making us import sugar which is expensive. Also, Monsanto and other U.S. producers could not make major bank importing sugar they wanted to be able to create the sugar too. So, they synthetically derived high-fructose corn syrup from yellow corn, which is already an unnatural, genetically modified plant, and something Monsanto and the rest of the U.S. grew in mega-ultra-sized-bushels. The reason we have and grow so much yellow corn is because the U.S. Government gives 5-10 billion dollars a year in corn subsidies to Monsanto and other U.S. farmers. This is two to three times more in subsidies than any other agricultural product in the U.S. This makes it cheaper to buy corn and more lucrative to grow it.

Like the Maya and Aztec before us, we have based a majority of our agriculture around corn. However, this time we are unlike Maya and Aztec because their cultures were based around the more nutritional “blue corn.” Our agriculture is based on genetically modified “yellow corn” that then has its chemical compound altered to create more fructose, so it can also be substituted for sugar infusing it into every bite we eat and every sip we drink. It is as far from natural as you can get, and is the reason why a majority of people are obese. We are more susceptible to diseases and tooth decay than we have ever been. They are slowly killing us and they know it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The commercials are comparing HFCS to cane sugar, so I suppose my question is this:

Does most cane sugar from genetically-modified sugar cane plants or not?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join