It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You know what they say about High-Fructose Corn Syrup right?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+123 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

These commercials bug me sooooooo much. Talk about brainwashing. I wanna bust in there and be like .....

Well let me tell you what "they" don't say, they don't say that more than likely your eating monsanto's BT corn as MORE THAN 80% of the corn grown in the US is and, Bt corn is a genetically modified organism that expresses BT toxin and kills pests so, instead of putting toxins on the corn it is auctually part of the corn, thats right, its poison corn. They don't say that its created by a complex industrial process performed in refineries using centrifuges, hydroclones, ion-exchange columns, backed-bed reactors, and other high-tech equipment. The fact that chemical bonds are broken and rearranged in their production disqualifies them from being called “natural.” And unlike sugar, from mother nature which has 50 percent fructose and 50 percent glucose , HFCS has 55 percent fructose and 42 percent glucose. Most of the carbohydrates we eat are made up of chains of glucose. When glucose enters the bloodstream, the body releases insulin to help regulate it. Fructose, on the other hand, is processed in the liver. To greatly simplify the situation: When too much fructose enters the liver, the liver can't process it all fast enough for the body to use as sugar. Instead, it starts making fats from the fructose and sending them off into the bloodstream as triglycerides. In lab testing, Animals with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained 48 percent more weight than those eating a normal diet especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. They wern't just getting fat; they were demonstrating characteristics of obesity, including substantial increases in abdominal fat and circulating triglycerides, In humans, these same characteristics are known risk factors for high blood pressure, coronary artery disease, cancer and diabetes. Furthermore, HFCS has no real nutritional value to it at all and is more than twice as sweet as regular sugar and since it causes a huge spike in blood sugar when consumed, if that blood sugar is not immediately used up by the muscles via some kind of exercise it is converted into fat and stored in the body as such. HCFS also inhibits leptin secretion, so you never get the message that you’re full. And it never shuts off gherin, so, even though you have food in your stomach, you constantly get the message that you’re hungry. The consumption of HFCS increased 1000% between 1970 and 1990 it now represents more than 40 percent of caloric sweeteners added to foods and beverages and is the sole caloric sweetener in soft drinks in the United States. No wonder why were so fat in the USA, More than two-thirds of Americans are overweight and 30 per cent suffer from obesity but there has been a dramatic increase in childhood obesity. In the United States, the percentage of overweight or obese children has doubled over the past 30 years to 25 per cent of the under-19 population. Being that HFCS is in everything we eat espically snacks and treats for our children you would think idiots like you would put two and two together and connect the dots unless of course, you believe everything you see on TV.

www.nytimes.com...
www.ca.uky.edu...
pubcit.typepad.com...
lowcarbdiets.about.com...
www.sciencedaily.com...
www.naturalnews.com...
www.lewrockwell.com...
www.diabeteshealth.com...
www.betterhealthusa.com...

[edit on 6/7/2010 by concerned190]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
When will anything on television be truthful? They can advertise a meal from McDonald's being low fat and hoards of people will rush to buy it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Hats off to you for this posting.

This is a danger that is already infiltrated into our food supply, notably in the US.

I've been a label reader since I was a kid and more so as a parent.

What I've found is truly awful, in that "healthy" foods like peanut butter are stuffed with either high-fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils which are known carcinogens.

Knowing Monsanto has done this to most of the corn and soybeans in this country helped me to understand those mysterious subsidies that began to be known in the 80's. Paying farmers to plant certain crops, and then NOT to. Hmm.

Realize it's the same with the soy that is promoted far and wide as a miracle food. It's the cheapest kind of soy, and it's nearly all produced by Monsanto and the other food giants, with the Roundup built right into the plant.

No one wants to willingly eat pesticides, do they? No wonder these companies hide behind vague ingredient labels and don't always label the food's origin, where it was grown, etc.

However, if one can read the code language, these horrible additions are present all around.

One great tip I received: buy the foods whole, not canned or chopped, etc. Whole cuts of beef, not roast beef in a can. Fresh fruits and veggies, which are not modified. Whole grain breads, but again, read the labels, and watch and see how many times this phrase comes up in your mind, about the corn syrup, I mean.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Copperflower

Yes, over 90%.......over 90%(thats a HUGE percentage!!!!) of soy beans are GM and more than likely, its monsanto round up ready soy.

Today more than 90 percent of soybeans and more than 80 percent of the corn grown in this country are genetically engineered

www.nytimes.com...

[edit on 6/7/2010 by concerned190]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Star and Flag!!

Thanks for the sources too!! I always end up not knowing why it's bad in general chit chat of the day, so now I can reference to something!!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I understand that this is worrying and brainwashing, but your first part of your argument was talking about the equipment. OK me being an Ap bio student I know what some of those are and let me tell you centrifuges arent something to be afraid it just separates things in a test tube. I understand that this a growing threat but by stating "and other high tech equipment" your just promoting fear through your scare tactics.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I was just trying to express that its not a simple process.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
check out this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

and please watch the vid on it.
also you can get a pretty good idea of my stance on these ridiculous commercials, they make me wanna hulk out as well. i'm just not even gonna think about them right now.

edit: actually could someone please just imbed it in a post? everyone should really check it out!!

[edit on 7-6-2010 by shagreen heart]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I hate seeing these commercials.. they make me sick. To me it is a conspiracy, but I also think that these commercials had the potential to backfire because they were so blatantly BS and bringing attention to what people ARE saying about HFCS.
I'm glad you posted these, Its been a few months since I have seen one of these, more people need to realize what these companies are up to. Reminds me of the thread about the makers of aspartame changing the name to AminoSweet.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
i just saw this commercial today. and i have to agree with the op. it really bugged the hell out of me. as i watched it i remember think who in the world is dumb enough to actually believe this. but then i remembered that most people take things at face value. also the writer / writers of the commercial i saw used the line "you know what they say about high fructose corn syrup". i thought that was absolute genius. by using that line i feel they are able to create a auditory memory. so for example if one was to get into a conversation about HFCS, if someone said anything along the line of you know what they say about. it would trigger the memory of watching said commercial. at least thats how it works for me.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Study Finds High-Fructose Corn Syrup Contains Mercury

Wednesday, January 28, 2009; 12:00 AM MONDAY, Jan. 26 (HealthDay News) -- Almost half of tested samples of commercial high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) contained mercury, which was also found in nearly a third of 55 popular brand-name food and beverage products where HFCS is the first- or second-highest labeled ingredient, according to two new U.S. studies. HFCS has replaced sugar as the sweetener in many beverages and foods such as breads, cereals, breakfast bars, lunch meats, yogurts, soups and condiments. On average, Americans consume about 12 teaspoons per day of HFCS, but teens and other high consumers can take in 80 percent more HFCS than average... ...And in the second study, the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP), a non-profit watchdog group, found that nearly one in three of 55 brand-name foods contained mercury. The chemical was found most commonly in HFCS-containing dairy products, dressings and condiments.

Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

Rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained significantly more weight than those with access to table sugar, even when their overall caloric intake was the same.

In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. The researchers say the work sheds light on the factors contributing to obesity trends in the United States.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I could be wrong, but I think the point of the "other high tech machines" is that it is not natural.

I will admit I dont know much, and my memory is faulty and I have a hard time bringing the facts that I have read in the past up when asked, but that doesnt make eating something ok. those commercials just reak of propaganda to me, and they annoy me also every time i see them.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Well this certainly won't stop me from consuming corn syrup because 1. I'm sure I'm not overweight and 2. they taste great with pancakes.

BTW, I much prefer honey on my pancakes lol.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

Commercials like these were why I cut the cable 2 years ago. And I mean physically cut. And dragged out of the wall, cut another length off, and shoved the end back into the wall so that you would need a to either break the dry wall just to get it or use some kind of special tool (like, I don't know, a "snake" or something) to get it again. I didn't want ANYONE in my household to take matters into their own hands and continue brainwashing themselves.

I know it sounds a little control freaky, but I would rather be called names, than to listen to BS like that again.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
wow thanks OP..

Flag for perfect punctuation!!

but i'm already fat.. no hope for me..

i wish i weighed my I.Q. 172.. but 215 is to much for a 5'10" male..

oh well,, i'm 45 maybe i could learn a new weigh (pun),, but i don't want to give up my natural sugar in my Twinkies.. or my booze,, ...hic..

world is full of too many people wanting to help others.. GREAT!!!

but when others want to help by controlling or going into HYPE mode. i think
the message gets lost in my right to not have to listen to your diatribe.

i hate Monsanto,, sure,,, i grew up around corn farms, as a child.. and one of the biggest around turned into a television station and tower... forget poison IN my corn,, how about poison in the airwaves..

pick our battles,, and save ourselves,,, and leave my guilty, crumb stained sheets alone..

been ddrinking monsanto corn m,esh whisky,, nevermind what i said..
i wont remember tommorow either.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The first time I saw those comercials I thought they were some kind of satire, but I just went to that website
They have an entire campaign on this.
This is what they say:

In this section of SweetSurprise.com, you will find information from credible sources supporting the consensus that high fructose corn syrup is safe and nutritionally the same as sugar.

Myth: High fructose corn syrup is not natural.
Reality: High fructose corn syrup is made from corn — a natural grain product. High fructose corn syrup contains no artificial or synthetic ingredients or color additives and meets the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) requirements for use of the term “natural.”

High fructose corn syrup:
Is a natural sweetener made from corn
Is handled by the body the same as sugar
Has the same number of calories as sugar
Is as sweet as sugar
Is fine in moderation
A sugar is a sugar, whether it comes from cane, corn, or beets
right....and they forgot the fruits

HFCS and Sugar in Products Labeled "Natural" - High fructose corn syrup is considered a natural food ingredient under the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's definition of the term “natural.” Under FDA rules, “natural” means that “nothing artificial or synthetic (including all color additives regardless of source) has been included in, or has been added to, a food that would not normally be expected to be in the food.”(1)

And on almost all pages they keep barking about what a pleasing brown crust high fructose corn syrup gives.

High fructose corn syrup enhances fruit and spice flavors. It is described as having an “early” sweetness profile, which enhances flavors in foods and beverages. This means that when high fructose corn syrup is consumed, the sweetness is detected rapidly by human taste buds, or “early” in the tasting process, but the sweetness does not linger. As the sweetness of high fructose corn syrup subsides, other flavors such as fruit, citrus and spice are experienced more clearly and completely.It is the crispness and clarity of its sweetness profile that allows high fructose corn syrup to enhance other flavors.

Now, here comes the part about the benefits!

Sweetness, Flavor Enhancement, Freshness, Soft Texture, Browning, Stability, Pourability, Fermentability

Myth: Consumers know why high fructose corn syrup is found in many foods and beverages.
Reality: If consumers are sometimes surprised to find high fructose corn syrup in particular foods or beverages, it may be because they do not have a full appreciation of its versatility and value. (
really? )High fructose corn syrup often plays a key role in the integrity of food and beverage products that has little to do with sweetening.

It gets even better:

Myth: High fructose corn syrup contains DNA from genetically modified corn.
Reality: While the corn used to produce high fructose corn syrup may or may not have been produced using genetically enhanced corn, existing scientific literature and current testing results indicate that cornDNA cannot be detected in measurable amounts in high fructose corn syrup.

“To pretend that a product sweetened with sugar is healthier than a product sweetened by high-fructose corn syrup is totally misguided.” “The bottom line is there isn't a shred of evidence that high-fructose corn syrup is nutritionally any different from sugar.” "HFCS has been blamed by a few people for the obesity epidemic, because rates of obesity have climbed right along with HFCS consumption. But that’s an urban myth. There isn’t a shred of evidence that HFCS is any more harmful (or healthier) than sugar. We’re consuming way too much of both."

"Thus, it is the position of The American Dietetic Association that consumers can safely enjoy a range of nutritive and nonnutritive sweeteners when consumed in a diet that is guided by current federal nutrition recommendations … as well as individual health goals."

And they also have a lot of things on that website (research, experts, ADHD, obesity and so on):

Let's separate fact from fiction. High fructose corn syrup does not cause diabetes nor is it responsible for the rising rate of this disease. The known causes of type 2 diabetes are complex, yet what is clear is that no particular food, beverage or ingredient (including high fructose corn syrup) can be singled out. Instead, the primary risk factors for type 2 diabetes are excess weight, particularly too much abdominal fat, genetics

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
People will not do anything about it..fear has been injected into people

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Sugar Tax + Corn Subsidies = Sh*tty economics ruining our nation

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
good thread mate, i could say the same for a number of ingredients, aspartame is one of which im not happy with, the ammount ive just bought something, downed it, read the label and found it has aspartame in it is really annoying, just have to avoid that #, and nobody believes you when you tell them anyway, it's cool, least ile be the one without alzeihemers disease.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Drinking diet soda which contains Aspartame has also been linked to Parkinson disease..Sad

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join