It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The biggest conspiracy you will never hear about?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'm probably the last civilian, or non-personnel from who knows what organization to remember what I am about to tell you.

This story is almost a quarter century old, but I remember it quite clearly. The story was published in a tabloid newspaper in Québec, Canada, in Le Journal de Montréal", between 1982 and 1985.

I said I remembered clearly the article, not the date...

The article talked about a project created by the American Government. It involved 16 science-fiction writers. They were asked to "create" a technology, in writing, as they would have it in one of their novels/movies, etc. They were paid one million dollars each, and were never to speak about it.
The government has said that he would proceed to create these newly imagined technology.

I've contacted Le Journal de Montréal to see if I could get a copy of the article from their archives, but I have to have the NAME of the article... Which I don't remember.

But, who were hot sci-fi writers of the 80s? Is there a trace of that gain? Funnily enough, what I found recently is that between 1982 and 1988, almost no sci-fi stories were published! Link. www.magicdragon.com...

Could the money have made the imagination a bit more lazy, or were they "ordered" to slow the cadence a bit?

Some writers I've come across as being great ones of the sci-fi genre have famous ancestors, as if it was a new trend. I won't name since I couldn't prove anything. But you can make research on the question of the great sci-fi writers of the 80s...

As to what as become public in the sense of new technologies, one can't help but notice that almost all the new tech presented in the next link is of 1984 nature, as "Big Brother" can easily have access to the presented systems.

www.cnn.com...

A different list.

www.usatoday.com...

Does anyone else remember anything about it? Thanks for your time.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Aresh Troxit

Hmm..I remember Heinlin ans Assomov and quite a few others being very popular in those years, but i can't recall ever hearing about that..could be a good conspiracy if you ask me...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
hence this thread...
I would so have loved to find that original article...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Bonjour!

I wasn't an avid reader of le Journal de Montréal at that time, and the story does not ring a bell. However, back in WWII, it's interesting to note that Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein and L. Ron Hubbard were in the US Navy. All three were stationed in the same office, the very one where the supposed Philadelphia Experiment happened.

After 911, Homeland Security also publicly employed 6 sci-fi writers to help them. I remember that Larry Niven was among them.

So, overall, your story could be true; it would be nice to have the original article, though.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

I don't know about sci-fi writers per say, after 9/11, but I do remember that the Pentagon had a meeting with the top directors of Hollywood for "advice on future terrorism scenarios" or something stupid along those lines.

Personally I believe that it was an intimidation tactic or a deal was made to produce propagandic movies about the U.S. military. Because during the 2-3 (or 4) years after 9/11, a whole bunch of movies started coming out, like "Behind Enemy Lines", "Blackhawk Down", "Hart's War" and some other ones that showed the U.S. military in a positive light.

So yeah, anything (along those lines) is possible/probable.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Heinlen was one of my favorite writers! I've read in some of his stories about a device called a "babel fish" yes just like the internet babel fish. that instantly translates spoken language to native language of the wearer. Though heinlens version was actually a small fish/organism that was deposited into the ear. I hear tell that DARPA has developed similiar tech for troops in the field, that automatically translates common phrases into english.
Now if we just had bounce tube technology!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Not sure where you got your source but it was not L.Ron Hubbard.It was T.T. Brown.

Hubbard was the C.O. of a ship he got fired from, for attacking a Mexican island off the coast in the Pacific.

But I do not see where any of this adds up to a conspiracy.

The biggest conspiracy you never heard about is the one I participated in,but I am not talking about it.......yet.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Drum roll please....

The biggest conspiracy you never heard about is the one I participated in,but I am not talking about it.......yet.

Now I hate that kinda talk...If you cant say it all then say nothing..You do know you will be nagged relentlessly till you talk or leave ATS???

so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell..
so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell.. so tell..

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Bonjour, ( où plutôt bonne nuit! )
It was a very little article, believe me. I didn't know sci-fi writers were hired after 9/11. Was it to write scenarii of possible terror threats?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sumgai

When jean Chrétien was Prime Minister of Canada, and he was making a stand against GWB, you could suddenly see bad jokes on Canadians. French got whipped too. In the 80s, we saw muslims as stupid dangerous anihilator... That's propaganda all right... Sigh...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

If you don't understand that Black Programs aren't created for your benefice in anyways, you're nothing but an old dude, dude...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
So they made everything up.

Big title:
Occult Science Dictatorship: The Official State Science Religion and How to Get Excommunicated

Actually hiding technology by faking us out.

CHAPTER IV - SECRET SCIENCE:
Thought-Control on The
Professional Level

Epistemology

In order for the government to hide so many scientific and technological
discoveries through its secrecy, there had to be a way to change the way
people thought and what they believed. The formation of what one believes
is usually limited by one's epistemology—what one's "first laws" are, what
one's theory of knowledge or truth is. Is "seeing believing", or is "seeing
just an illusion"? Philosophers have identified two basic theories of
epistemology, which are the Platonic and the Aristotelian. We each usually
choose one or the other, depending on what we are willing to accept as "the
truth" or accept as "real".

They are smarter than us ... they hired the likes of Marlowe (Shakespeare)
in his day.

And need to pay the price to stay on top.
ED: Here is something further down the page:

The disconnection of science from the Aristotelian epistemology, and the
movement of scientific thought toward the Platonist epistemology, was
accelerated particularly after 1919, when Relativism was projected into the
vogue. Beginning about 1910, the mega-corporate owners of the mass
media had begun to control science and other educational curricula,2
particularly that of the medical schools, through the use of so-called
"philanthropic grants", which were actually designed to benefit the
corporations which had set up the foundations through which the grants
were awarded. These Rockefeller grants set the stage for the controllers.
The foundations eventually appointed compliant faculty members as
officers, so that the foundations, corporations, and the

[edit on 6/7/2010 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

I will read with great interest the info in the link you have provided. Thanks.

One could be tempted to think they are smarter than us, but I believe it is more that their ancestors had the chance to stumble upon important discoveries, and they were egotistical about it. Instead of sharing, they made all this an object of control and power.

And they manipulated, and still do, knowledge, so we see what they want us to see. If they were really smarter than us, there would be NO ATS. We would simply be live stock.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
two off the top of my head are Asimov and Herbert.

weirding way.

let me see.

firestarter.

i should read your posts a bit more, my mind is kinda going at it.

firestarter.
Dune is a 1984 science fiction film written and directed by David Lynch, based on the 1965 Frank Herbert novel of the same name.

Fire STarter 1984.

Dreamscape is a 1984 science fiction film directed by Joseph Ruben and written by David Loughery, with Chuck Russell and Ruben co-writing.

John Carpenter's Starman is a 1984 science fiction-fantasy film directed by John Carpenter that tells the story of an alien (Jeff Bridges) who has come to Earth in response to the invitation found on the gold phonograph record installed on one of the Voyager space probes.

Brainstorm is a 1983 science fiction

these are the ones i could find that may fit the criteria of this thread.

as to asimov, there were only two movies his books were made into, the first ones name is Nightfall the other I robot, asimov had allot of social science involved in is books.

what you look for in technologie may escape your sight if it is not what you are accustomed to looking for.

now ask this why was it done.

im going back to reading the thread, my choices in the movies or whatever are a bit scary

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by fortis

Thanks for the contribution!

There was also Buckaroo banzaï, in 1984, about aliens and dimensions crossing The Philadelphia Experiment, no need to explain this one and there is another one about a student finding a time travel device, from the US military, that had made its way to the dump. Time and dimensions were mixing. Don't remember the title.

Also in 1984, there was The Last Star fighter, about a teen that plays a video game that is in truth an alien Combat simulator for a new, last resort Star Fighter...

Books were at a low at this time.

I can't wait to see what you have to say once you've slept enough!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by azrael36

The babel fish was an invention of the late Douglas Adams - writer of the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy! in which it features im afraid.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Babel_fish

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Silk

When it comes to sci-fi, I've noticed that many ideas were used on different shows, like the babel fish concept that you can find in Farscape, with bacterias injected in the brain and that translate every languages live, and there is a third I forget at the moment.

What perplexes me is to see that those ideas are novel, and yet, no one sues when the idea is taken...

So, would that be part of some kind of conditioning for the masses to help accept ideas that would otherwise be revolting?

And if these ideas were made public via sci-fi, what concepts did they imagine that they are MOT talking about anywhere?...

join