It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maximus... of York: Unearthed, the skeletons of 80 gladiators slaughtered for the crowds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Maximus... of York: Unearthed, the skeletons of 80 gladiators slaughtered for the crowds

beforeitsnews .com

Slaughtered in the arena by tigers, or killed by a hammer blow from a fellow fighter, they died to entertain bloodthirsty crowds.

Such a savage spectacle is mostly associated with ancient Rome, but historians believe they have uncovered an entire cemetery of gladiators in the North of England.

The 2,000-year-old remains of almost 80 young men, mutilated by horrific injuries, were found by archaeologists as they excavated a residential area of York.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
A find like this would be important to history any where. Ever more so that its out side of Roam, in north England. The eighty bodies discovered so far have different causes of death, which include decapitation, and tiger bites. This find is being called the only wall preserved gladiator cemetery. Please post any comets.

beforeitsnews .com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Well I mean this might not really apply but in the show Spartacus blood and sand, it shows that Spartacus has to train and fight in other places before he qualifies for the Roman Coliseum so it could be that barbarians from England got bought into this like slaves but couldn't qualify.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by denynothing

Denynothing
in blood and sand as I recall Spartacus did hid fighting in a different city. Not the city of Roam.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
They said it is also possible that these are the remains of prisoners. Only one had marks from a lion. many were beheaded

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I live in North Yorkshire (about 30miles from York) and there is a big Roman history there ... lot's of archaeology ... and this is a fantastic discovery to add to the collection.

Thanks for sharing

Woody

[edit on 8-6-2010 by woodwytch]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I live in County Durham, about 50 miles away from York but my elder brother now lives in York and I'm hoping to go and see him on Friday so might have a pop down and have a nose about.

Good excuse to go for a couple of pints with our lad.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Hope you can have a look around. Always good to hear what people have to say who have seen it first hand.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
What a coincidence i live in York!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Yes that is true but if memory serves me right, Spartacus does fight in the coliseum but who knows maybe I am crossing reality with fiction

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The animal remains are also intresting , I really would not have wanted to be bitten by a bear back then ( or now ..hahaha), like that fella they found ...how many injuries? wow

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
In case any one would like more information on this topic, hear is a documenteryon the gladiators that were found in York.

new topics

top topics

join