It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agency Drops Helen Thomas after Anti-Jewish Remarks!:

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by hisshadow

Wow, I never thought of it like that. Nicely done Sir.

WWII just righted the previous wrong(s).

I like it.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Here's a perfect example of the media spin on this:

Journalist Helen Thomas' recent remarks about Jews in Israel were "offensive," President Obama said in an interview that aired this morning.

Source

How can people say this - when she made NO comment about Jews in Israel? She made a comment about Israel in Palestine! I really don't get it.

Can ANYONE explain this to me? Clearly backwherewestarted is unable to give an explanation, but is pretty good at throwing out insults, but can someone please explain how what Helen ACTUALLY said is offensive?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Come on BH, please quit trying to spin it because we all know exactly what she meant, even though she didn't she come right out and directly say it.

Just admit it, it was a stupid thing to say and now she has been forced to face the music.
Just like the "I can see Russia from my house" comment that Palin NEVER made, but the media made everyone believe she did.
Heck, even YOU were all over that one.

I'm sorry but you are conveniently cherry pickin'!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by backwherewestarted

Well, explain yourself. If you think something she said is "blatant bigotry" let's hear why. I've explained myself. Let's hear how wanting an invading force to leave and "go home" is bigotry. I'm all ears.

Simple.

It's called bigotry and racism when a majority in the U.S. want the invading force of 12 to 20 million illegal immigrants to leave and go home.

So, it's also bigotry (by Helen Thomas and people here at ATS) to support the ethnic cleansing of Jews from their ancestral home.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

How can people say this - when she made NO comment about Jews in Israel? She made a comment about Israel in Palestine! I really don't get it.

Can ANYONE explain this to me?

HT "Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine. Remember, these people are occupied and it's their land. It's not Germany, not Poland."

"so where should they go?"

HT "Home. Poland. Germany. America. And everywhere else.

Cmon BH, Helen Thomas was plainly saying "them" meaning the Jews and Israel leaving the Middle East and going back "home" to Europe and everywhere. Since Israel is a State and can't move, she must be talking about it's citizens.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

A reporter asked what she thought about ISRAEL, not Jews. She said, "Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine". Nothing about Jews. Palestine is occupied and she suggested the invaders get out.

Absurd "logic", even for you.

For example, just how would the United States "get out" of North America because the Native Americans wished it so? They'd also be expecting the citizens of the U.S. to leave, as well.

Any of us would say the same if the US was occupied.

But - as stated previously - we are being occupied by an invading force of illegal immigrants. But you on the left choose to hypocritically look the other way on that issue simply because you see the potential for more votes.

For those who are comparing this to blacks... Blacks aren't bombing our people and trying to take over our land by force like Israel is in Palestine.

Again, who is it that is shooting rockets and missiles at civilians from Gaza and South Lebanon? Plus, there are the homicide bombers ...

Whatever side you take in the Israel situation, and I don't take a side,

Typical.

Earth to BH: only posting on one side of an issue IS taking sides.

saying that Israel should get the hell out of Palestine is not the same as saying blacks should go back to Africa. Blacks aren't trying to kill a segment of people and take over our country. If they were, then I might even suggest they go back to Africa myself. I would defend my country.

Except from an invading army of potential voters ...

And I know what I said isn't politically correct and I know what Helen said wasn't either. But if one county were invading and taking over a nation so vehemently as to attack relief aid ships for that nation, no matter WHO they were, I would probably want them to go home.

How about farmers and ranchers just wanting to make a living working their land?

The media has told us that this is about Jews, when Helen didn't even mention Jews. She was asked about Israel, but that wasn't exciting enough.

God this is stupid! A nation is made up of it's people. For example, our constitution starts out with "We the people ...". Israel is made up of people who also happen to be Jews. There is no magical way to separate the two.

Helen Thomas is an incredible lady. She has said so much that really touched me, I can't tell you! I love her honesty and guts. And I support her First Amendment rights. Political correctness be damned!

I only wish I had the time today to go back and research your comments on "gaffes" made by people on the right. What would I find compared to your willingness to look the other way for Thomas?

Turns out I did have a little time after all. Here is a link to some relevant search results here on ATS:

search results

[edit on 6/8/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Come on BH, please quit trying to spin it because we all know exactly what she meant, even though she didn't she come right out and directly say it.

I know it seems like that to you, but I'm honestly not. I have never gotten involved in the Israel conflict threads until this (check my profile). I consider myself neutral on the issue. Truth is, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. But I can HEAR what she said and I can see how the media is spinning it.

How do you know what she meant? Does she have a history of being anti-Semitic?

Originally posted by pavil

HT "Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine. Remember, these people are occupied and it's their land. It's not Germany, not Poland."

"so where should they go?"

HT "Home. Poland. Germany. America. And everywhere else.

Cmon BH, Helen Thomas was plainly saying "them" meaning the Jews

You neglected to include the original question. What are your thoughts on Israel? If ANYTHING, she meant the Israelis who are occupying Palestine should get out.

The reporter then asked where they should go and she listed several places. Maybe she doesn't think Israel has a right to exist, I don't know. But I didn't get that from what she said and I think people have to read a LOT into what she said to come up with that.

and Israel leaving the Middle East and going back "home" to Europe and everywhere. Since Israel is a State and can't move, she must be talking about it's citizens.

She was saying to get out of PALESTINE, not get out of Israel. Are you saying that she considers all of Israel to be Palestine???

I'm being honest, guys, I really don't get it. Maybe it's because I don't understand the whole history, but on face value, I don't get it.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
Helen Thomas was 100% correct with her statement on the Jews.

Political correct mongers just run over everyone that doesn't think their way (groupthink) it's the herd mentality.

She spoke her opinion which many agree with but since the Jewmedia controls political correctness of course she will be thrown under the bus and given a label 'antisemite'

If you are antisemite to be against jews then I guess I am one also, cause the Jew politics are very wrong and perhaps a coup de tat would solve the problem I dunno.

But I agree she has every right to say what she did and that does not make her a bigot. Only political correct mongers will label her as such.

Political correctness needs to be done away with, it's the weapon that jews and others use when they have nothing to back up their arguments. they use it as a front to label others.

just proves who the real bigots are as Helen Thomas inferred. PC, Jewmedia and such are the real enemies.

^I will simply quote this post in credit to the poster since that basicly describes my thoughts about this whole ordeal.

It is amazing that a person like this,after 60 years is being haulled of after one comment? One she had every right to make no less.It seems to be true for a lot of people for some reason.If you make a comment critizising jews ,you hate jews.

And this is in a country where organizations like the black panthers and KKK are legal.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Rafe_]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Here's a much better analogy:

Reporter: Helen, what are your thoughts on Iraq?
HT: I think the US should get the hell out of there and go home.

And the media EXPLODES because Helen Thomas hates Christians!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Here's a much better analogy:

Reporter: Helen, what are your thoughts on Iraq?
HT: I think the US should get the hell out of there and go home.

And the media EXPLODES because Helen Thomas hates Christians!

Actually a terrible analogy.

The U.S. has no plans to permanently occupy iraq, as in make it the 51st state.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

You sure about that? Anyway, it's an analogy. It doesn't have to map 100%.

Besides, your statement about Israel permanently occupying Palestine makes Helen's words all the more true. Israel SHOULD get the hell out of Palestine and give up thoughts of permanent occupation.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

reply to post by centurion1211

Besides, your statement about Israel permanently occupying Palestine makes Helen's words all the more true. Israel SHOULD get the hell out of Palestine and give up thoughts of permanent occupation.

And so we're back to you failing to understand a simple fact (in a pitiful attempt to spin Thomas' remarks):

A country cannot "leave" where it is geographically. Only it's people can.

Therefore Helen Thomas' remarks were bigoted because she was targeting the Jews that live in Israel with them.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

She was saying to get out of PALESTINE, not get out of Israel. Are you saying that she considers all of Israel to be Palestine???

Yes, I do think she was saying that Israel should not exist in the M.E. and that the Palestine she was referring to was the whole of Gaza, Israel and the West Bank. I found it strange for her to say it that way, but for her to retire like she has, she herself must have meant it that way. As others have stated, a Nation can't really move, only it's peoples. She plainly tells "them" to go back to where they came from, ie Europe and elsewhere. I don't think she was referring to Israeli settlers in the West Bank, but all the citizens of Israel.

Kinda even more bizarre when you think about the origins of where Judaism started.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by pavil]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

I've been doing some research on her past views about Israel and I think you're right. So, I apparently misinterpreted her statement.

It's MY view, however (and this is what I thought she meant) that Israel (the government) should get the hell out of what's left of Palestine and stop being such a bully. They quite remind me of the US (the government). My view has nothing to do with Jews or ANY people or ANY religion.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Kinda even more bizarre when you think about the origins of where Judaism started

You should have expanded on that point. Very interesting topic I think.

I think that could be a whole topic discussion itself-or probably already has been in the past here on ATS.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I agree that settlements are a very big impediment to the peace process. They should be dismantled in any peace deal. East Jerusalem is the really big problem, Israel isn't going to give it back and the Palestinians need to have it as their Capital. That one issue is going to the the hardest one to solve. Both sides want it and neither is willing to budge.

The whole thing is a mess and both sides are idiots about it.

No one here should be accusing you of anything BH, you are good in my book. I don't always agree with ya, but I always enjoy reading your comments. Peace.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by pavil]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I'm pretty sure it has been a topic of a few threads, I am aware of the location, which actually would probably surprise people.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Sometimes people overcomplicate things. That seems to be happening in this thread, as it often does with anything related to Israel.

I'm sorry, but I'm respectfully calling this.

Palestine is being occupied by others than themselves. Yes or no?

Simplified. Yes or no?

Very simply, you have someone here who stated that the Jews in Israel should "go back to Germany and Poland."

Were they always in Palestine, or did they migrate from Germany and Poland, both countries enduring the harsh brutalities of Hitler's Nazi regime?

Is there still a regime in Poland and Germany killing the Jewish people? Yes or no?

What makes that statement more interesting is the fact that this person was an adult during the Holocaust and knows exactly what happened to the Jews who were in Germany and Poland at the time.

Homosexuals were also killed in Germany during the terrible reign of Hitler. Not to put one above the other, where is the "gay state" recognized internationally and given bucketloads of money while producing nuclear weapons without being a member of the nuclear non-proliferation treaty?

I don't see any criticism of the Israeli government in her statement that day. I guess the line "criticism of Israel isn't anti-semitism" gets repeated so often that it even comes into play when there was no criticism of Israel in the first place.

Perhaps then Israel should not call themselves the "Jewish State." Criticism of Israel is not Anti-Semitism, except to those that believe that a country is a faith. How sad really, that we would have to negotiate our morals with the consequences of being called Anti-Semitic because we disagree with the decisions dictated by a country's government that is overstepping their bounds left and right with no moral compass whatsoever.

After speaking to three of my devout friends today that happen to be Jewish, and them agreeing, I would question why they too must be called Anti-Semitic being Jews themselves and why I would also because we harshly disagree with the government of Israel and their atrocious actions?

*Edit - Respectively changed to "Respectfully."

[edit on 6/9/10 by niteboy82]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
Criticism of Israel is not Anti-Semitism, except to those that believe that a country is a faith. How sad really, that we would have to negotiate our morals with the consequences of being called Anti-Semitic because we disagree with the decisions dictated by a country's government that is overstepping their bounds left and right with no moral compass whatsoever.

I completely agree. As I said, I don't claim to know the entire history, but I don't think I need that knowledge to see that a large and powerful government is treating a smaller and weaker nation of PEOPLE with behavior that I can only interpret as unfair and quite abusive. Inhumane, even.

Regardless what Helen meant (and we can guess but don't know for certain) speaking out against Israel's bullying cannot and should not be assumed to have anything to do with its citizens' religion. There ARE some critics of Israel who ARE anti-Semitic, I'm absolutely sure, but the cries of anti-Semitism toward ANY critics are only an attempt to quell any criticism of Israel, IMO.

In my thinking, that's not something ATS stands for.

I don't know any Jews, as far as I am aware. And any that I have ever known have been fine people, just like the Christians and Muslims I've known. I have NO reason or desire to criticize or dislike the members of any particular religion and I don't appreciate people jumping to the conclusion that I am bigoted toward a religion I know nothing about because I criticize a government.

[edit on 6/9/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Every one is either European, or a colonial outpost, or a puppet state defendant on the USA.

I guess that the old Soviet Union, WHICH VOTED FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT of Israel, was a puppet state of the USA then? Either that, or you are ignoring the fact that the old USSR spanned ASIA as well as Europe, and the last I checked, it was not a colonial outpost.

You need to bone up on your geography and geopolitics!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join