It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hiding from Big brother.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Hiding from Big brother.
I wont the paranoid ATS members to help me hide my PC.
I remember when XP first came out. I thought that some thing was funny that it was 4 times as big as 98se.
I got a program called Comodo firewall free. I cleared out the preset programs and started from scratch. it kept coming up with windows won't to in install a Hook! yes that is what it called it. every thing I did it added two or more hooks. every new program. I just block’t them all. only one stop’t a program. a windows program to! they I too the comodo off my PC and installed SpyShelter. ( free trial) I cleared the programs that had been given permission again. and all the time I get a window pop up saying a program wonts to add its self to the allow list. the pop up box tells you what it wants to spy on. windows trys to get in to every thing it can! every program every web page every document you have on the screen and every key stroke. you have to see it to believe it. Microsoft have Ever thing you have ever done on a PC stored some were. They are the biggest Spy there is.

any one else know of good fire wall programs? and good Virus programs. that are free and the best you pay for? I have used AVG that is free with free up dates. and Zone alarm that is free with free up dates. I use adaware and Spyshelter at the same time. Avg and Zone I have used for 15 years with no trouble with viruses. thats good for free soft ware. but I wont recommendations from you all. what do you use? the best free and paid for programs. and programs to hide your IP address. I use hotspot shield. it slows the internet down. but it seems to work well. we should all help each other stop Big brother spying on us. and it seems that big brother is Microsoft and Google. Google is spying on the world to.

Google Street View data disk sought by privacy officials
www.metro.co.uk...

Google has banned Windows for its workers over security fears,
www.metro.co.uk...
so Google dont trust windows ether.

Linux how safe is it? what firewall and virus programs to use? please tell us.
and a good IP hiding program. I would bet they are well in to the Linux OP.
I would use Linux all the time but you can not play games on it. and so much more.

the on line IP hiding site are.
www.startpage.com...
anonymouse.org...
but can you truest them? who runs them?

Help me / us stay safe, securer and free...
Thank you!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Linux..........
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Add all the security you need.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Linux is terrible! You would want one of those child safety computers you can buy at wal-mart.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Want him to steal one?
He said free

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SLaPPiE

If only he can outrun wal-mart security. Which I have high hopes for him there.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Safest and cheapest solution, unplug your PC and don't turn it back on.. Not ideal but the most secure and cost effective.

Realistically, use firewalls like Comodo.. however ideally a hardware firewall also.. use public wifi .. change your network interface card often and or spoof your MAC address.. and use proxy servers.

secure your PC with a harddrive encryption program.. use PGP on your email.. Have a secondary PC for all that confidential stuff that is NEVER online EVER..

Also Linux is a great OS.. its open source so if there are back doors.. people can actually attempt to find them.. unlike windows or even mac.. there source is closed.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by E-ville]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Linux is secure. Read up.
Then look here www.itsecurity.com...

Plus you can boot to a jump drive or live dvd, without mounting the hard drive.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
lol
it won't matter much longer !!!!
when TSHTF ....
the power AND internet are going
down and you won't need it anymore

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
lol
it won't matter much longer !!!!
when TSHTF ....
the power AND internet are going
down and you won't need it anymore

Maybe for some people.. I got solar power, as for the internet.. it was designed to stay working even if the SHTF.. so well see if it does or not

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

Hope you don't have a grid tie inverter...cause they kick out when they can't sync with the grid..but yea, if you can afford the pv panels, it is a way. How many kW can your system produce? Just did a 5600 kW SMA with suntech panels.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
well it looks like the evil Microsoft is geting its claws into the Linux world. they have opensuse and Red Hat partners with Microsoft
www.theregister.co.uk...

I think Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is safe for now.
but still need a good fire wall.
all it needs is a little add on or a graphics add on.
and they can spy one you.

any one know of any good firewalls or virues progs?

[edit on 13-6-2010 by buddha]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLaPPiE
Linux..........
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Add all the security you need.

Absolutely!

Best operating system ever!

and it comes secure!
You dont even have to add anything else if you dont want.. and you will be very secure.
But if you turn on the built in firewall..
you are beyond secure.
Just dont download BS from BS sites.

But if you want an amazing OS, with amazing security, and amazing functionality~
Give Ubuntu a try mate!

I will help you all you need to get up and going.
(or anyone else who asks).

window$ is not your friend.

anyone who is talking crap about Linux~ has clearly NEVER used it!

windoze users for life.

Ubuntu/Linux is the future of OS's my friends...
really, it is just
good! lol

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
well it looks like the evil Microsoft is geting its claws into the Linux world. they have opensuse
www.theregister.co.uk...

I think Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is safe for now.
but still need a good fire wall.
all it needs is a little add on or a graphics add on.
and they can spy one you.

any one know of any good firewalls or virues progs?

Ubuntu comes with a built in firewall~
it is jus not turned on as default (not needed).
But for those who want the extra security [like myself]
It is very simple to turn the firewall on.

If youd like a GUI for your firewall, just install UFW-Simple firewall config)
and you can just click the firewall on or off.

Some people like to use an A.V. with it, but truly it is not needed.
But if you are sharing files with a windoze PC, then you might want to have one just to scan those files.
for that I suggest clamTK.
I hear good things about avast and bitdefender to,
But they truly are not needed unless the user is a retard.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Linux is terrible! You would want one of those child safety computers you can buy at wal-mart.

why must you open your mouth on subjects that you are completely ignorant to?

You clearly have absolutely no idea what youre talking about here.
So its best you just not talk.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Linux Ubuntu is ftw my friend.
2nd

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
yes Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is great and about as easy as windows to use.
but! you dont get the great games

any one know any thing about games for linux?

oh and the great thing is.
you can put linux on a CD
and boot from the CD
you dont need to install it to see if you likr it.
be care full when you do install it.
it can mess up windows if you put it in the wrong places.
just ask for help.
lots of linux forums to.

so you could just use it for E-mail and forum.
all things on the internet.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by buddha]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Linux is wonderful. I personally use Archlinux, which is a little more of a custom setup because you pretty well set the base system and everything else from the ground up. I don't advise this unless you've used linux for a while.

I started out with Kubuntu, as it is more similar in look and feel to M$ Windoze, but I have messed with Ubuntu. The only difference between the two is the desktop shell and accompanying software. I personally think KDE (which is what runs on Kubuntu) is more configurable. That said, I use XFCE anymore (if you use 'buntu you'll want Xubuntu to try that one)...it's really light weight and fast. You can install all three of these and any others you want to try alongside each other and use each at your own leisure, if you want. Linux is all about openness and freedom.

Either way, it comes standard very safe, but if you setup an IPTables firewall you're safer than any M$ computer. The open source aspect also provides more security, making you feel safer than using OSX as well.

If you're ultra paranoid, you can setup intrusion detection and stateful packet inspection, as well as built in IP address blocks in and out to detect everything from annoying ads and portscans to full fledged hack attempts - and block anything that gets through the firewall...which is a very difficult thing to do...if it's even possible at all.

As for apps, check out openoffice, and of course firefox with adblock, noscript, and betterprivacy installed. If you're super paranoid, surf in private browsing mode, where no cache or cookies are stored.

Games - you can use WINE, an open source implementation of the windows api that allows you to play pretty well any windows game, even WoW and the like. Some things don't work but they usually work those bugs out eventually. Wine also allows you to run some windows apps that have yet to be duplicated or ported to linux. To make using WINE easier, I suggest you install and play around with PlayOnLinux.

There are also linux native games. Warsow is one of my favorites...it's based on the quake 3 engine and you basically hop around in a low gravity environment and shoot at other people as you play the game online. The great thing about opensource/linux games is that 99% of them are totally free. Warsow, of course, is.

Pidgin is the best instant messenger as it integrates with all of the chat networks, and with a plugin even integrates with facebook chat. To replace iTunes, you can use Amarok, but I feel that Songbird is the best for that. It looks and feels like iTunes, only without the DRM...and it also syncs your music to various mobile devices. (I also run an open source OS on my iPod, so I just copy my music over with rsync from time to time).

Most apps under linux are actually multiplatform, so they'll run on OSX and windows. I tend to keep a partition with windows xp (stripped down heavily) just for random lan parties and the odd app that won't run under WINE. I use it very rarely, but I do like playing windows native games on windows sometimes because it takes some effort to get them working under wine.

All that said, it's very hard to break a linux system, unless you're like me and try experimental filesystems...

Once you've got the basics down, you should learn how to compile applications, do basic code modifications, and build your own kernel - in which you only build in the drivers and modules you need for your specific machine. This increases performance drastically.

I like archlinux because I don't see the point in building from the ground up. It's all prebuilt, but everything is rebuildable and the package build scripts are nice. I don't really like apt based distros anymore...thus, arch fits me well.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by joesomebody]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Thank you very much "joesomebody" for the infomation. it is very helpfull to me.

I am very suprised that more people have not said any thing?

but if they read what you puy down. they will be safe as we can be from them!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Speaking as a retired computer security geek, the ONLY way you can keep your computer completely safe is to take it off the Internet.

Otherwise, you have to assume almost everything can be accessed. All my important files are on a computer that is never connected to the internet.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
window$ is not your friend.

anyone who is talking crap about Linux~ has clearly NEVER used it!

windoze users for life.

Ubuntu/Linux is the future of OS's my friends...
really, it is just
good! lol

Ditto.

Ubuntu is Kosher / Halal

Originally posted by Byrd
the ONLY way you can keep your computer completely safe is to take it off the Internet.

This is also true... Most safe: Flash drive storage in a mayo jar buried in the back yard.

Sri Oracle

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Sri Oracle]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join