It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Scrap Nearly All Town Hall Meetings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Political Memo: Avoid Town Hall Meetings

An examination of public schedules for dozens of members of Congress last week showed that more House Republicans held open meetings, including several in a series of forums called America Speaking Out, which is intended to help write the party’s agenda if it wins control of Congress in November.

The anger that erupted at meetings last summer — focused, particularly, on the health care legislation — helped draw attention to Tea Party activists. A year later, some of the images are resurfacing once again and will almost certainly be used against lawmakers in television advertisements over the next five months.

The article goes on to include many democrats who have cancelled any kind of town hall meetings with a variety of excuses, nearly all of them claiming that town hall meetings strictly attract rabble-rousers. It's pretty clear they're unwilling to face the constituents they failed to represent.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

The article goes on to include many democrats who have cancelled any kind of town hall meetings with a variety of excuses, nearly all of them claiming that town hall meetings strictly attract rabble-rousers.

Democratic definition of rabble-rouser: Anyone who does not agree with the crooked way they make back-door deals, and pass legislation that the American public does not want.

Starred and Flagged!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Do these meetings ever end up producing some meaningful legislation?

IMO, they are just dog and pony shows anyway. Politician acts like he or she is listening, goes back to Washington and continues to run their own agenda.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Do these meetings ever end up producing some meaningful legislation?

IMO, they are just dog and pony shows anyway. Politician acts like he or she is listening, goes back to Washington and continues to run their own agenda.

That's what's been happening in the last few years. You'd think they'd want to know how to represent their constituents so, you know, they could get re-elected.

It's obvious though that this time they walked the plank for Obama and did not represent their constituents.... and are too afraid to face the music.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
What would they want to go to town hall meetings for anyway? Then they'd have to listen to people who are just clinging to their guns and their religion. Besides, the people in congress know what's best for us better than we do and have only our best interests at heart.

[/sarcasm]

It's ok, though. They don't have to go listen to the voters. They'll hear us well enough come election day.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Most of them already knows where they stand with or without meetings. Republicans as well. They are pros at manipulating the voters. The Dems will keep the majority of dem voters and the reps the majority of reps voters. I am sure the ones who will ultimately be the final say so in reelections are already being targeted.

IMO, having or not having a meeting isn't going to be the deciding issue. Ultimately, it is what they have done thus far.

Of course, thus far the economy still sucks so that is not a good sign.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
nearly all of them claiming that town hall meetings strictly attract rabble-rousers.

Which is true. A lot of people from the opposition will show up just to disrupt the meeting. It's the reason why Bush had those fake town meetings where the audience were all Republicans who received tickets to attend the town hall meeting.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Town hall meetings tend to provide bad press for the politicians and the incumbents cant afford that right now. The meetings are generally stuffed with political activists, on both sides of the spectrum anyway, and often turn into shouting matches between political hacks. Lets face it--our representative form of government died a long time ago. Corporations and NGOs that vote with their money carry a lot more weight than ordinary constituents that cast ballots.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Anyone who does not agree with the crooked way they make back-door deals, and pass legislation that the American public does not want.

lol
No that's the way they describe
a terrorist. Otherwise known
as a Patriot in certain circles.

They do not want to hold town hall
meetings anymore cuz they will be
forced to answer questions they do
not want revealed. The best way to
hide it is not to allow the questions.
That's why Obama has been 10 months
without a Press Conference where he
answered questions.

He hides behind a wall of secrecy !!!!

[edit on 6-6-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
IMO, having or not having a meeting isn't going to be the deciding issue. Ultimately, it is what they have done thus far.

True enough. And what they will do. And what they WON'T do, namely town hall meetings. Hiding from the public could never be a wise decision.

I remember a while back hearing from some conservative talking heads that Pelosi advised democrats to avoid public meetings and questions from the general public. I don't know if that was true but this story seems in compliance with that rumor.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Town halls have become more of an ideological shouting fest than a place of reasonable debate. I think quiet frankly its pointless of anybody to make an effort of holding a townhall meeting because there will always be some ideological hack (sent in part through astroturf campaigns) disrupting any chance of discussion. That in part is their job after all, regardless of whether they know it or not.

We have people complaining that their representitives are not listening them (the representitives they never voted for and liked in the first place) and then when its their chance to have a say, they abuse it by shouting and disrupting the entire meeting. We are talking about adults here and it is down right embarresing. We had tea party protestors last year break into town hall meetings, disrupt any chance for a fair and mature discussion crying about 'death panels' and 'my medicare'. Seriously now. What did this do besides gain media attention? And people still insist on town hall meetings?

Both Democrats and Republicans have failed us over these years, but the bulk of the population including the tea party protesters have just as much to blame in my opinion. We allow ourselves to be controlled by astroturf campaigns, by actors who make money off feeding people emotional cr*p like Glenn Beck, Keith olbermann, by scare mongerers like Alex jones, we run around like idiots and then we complain about our representitives when we in part are pushing the nation to where it is by buying BS. Meanwhile we ignore the corporations that are making a killing at our expense.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Its amazing in less than 2 years Obama, Pelosi, and Reid managed to turn the Democratic party into the wussy kid at school that everybody hates.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Another cutesy cliche hits the floor dead.

Maybe to instill a folksy feel to defuse American anger as much as they can, they can call the next PR exercise 'Fireside chats with the president'

Oh wait... It's been done. Whats next...

'Baking Apple pies with Michelle' hmmm... Out of ideas for the next propaganda idea...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Good one T.D.

I just saw this and beleive it collaborates your story.

Times: Dems Frightened of Townhall Meetings
Source: www.newsmax.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
It's ok, though. They don't have to go listen to the voters. They'll hear us well enough come election day.

Let me ask you something Jenna. Do you think your voice will be heard come election day with the Republicans breaking majority? Is this your voice?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Let me ask you something Jenna. Do you think your voice will be heard come election day with the Republicans breaking majority? Is this your voice?

Is what my voice? Republicans? Nope, not necessarily.

Unlike many (ok most) voters, I don't really care which side of the aisle someone sits on or which letter they have after their name on the ballot. It's their stance on the issues and their track record for doing what they say and saying what they mean that matters to me. If that means I vote for a Republican, so be it. If it means I vote for a Democrat, so be it. If it means I 'waste' my vote on a third party candidate who likely won't win the election, so be it.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
If it's anything like the last town hall meetings, I wouldn't do it either.

I'll bet a huge portion of the people that show up are either EXTREMELY MISINFORMED or plants.

If these people knew what the hell they were talking about, they'd be asking for higher tariffs to bring jobs back to our country which also tackle our DEBT PROBLEM.

Since they don't know this, and since they believe all the nonsense on television, they don't even know what to ask of their Congressman other than pointless drivel told to them by talking heads on both sides of the "ideological" aisle.

Yes, many Congressman are corrupted...but they are corrupt because most of the public has been filled with so much BS that any legitimate way to solve our country's problems are NEVER DISCUSSED.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Times: Dems Frightened of Townhall Meetings

Republicans should be frightened as well since they SUPPORT TBTF banks...the same banks that taxpayers just bailed out. They voted down the bill in the Senate a few weeks ago.

They also keep watering down any financial reform...just as Democrats are.

People will vote in Republicans this year...and absolutely NOTHING WILL FRICKING CHANGE, because most of the replacements will be corporate candidates.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Good.

These town hall meetings (for dems) are a waste of time and taxpayer money since many of these so-called "representatives of the people" are on their way out in November.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
People will vote in Republicans this year...and absolutely NOTHING WILL FRICKING CHANGE, because most of the replacements will be corporate candidates.

I'm amazed that some people think that this is an issue with Democrats only. I look forward to the Town Halls in the future when the Republicans have done NOTHING for the people (just like the Dems have done) and the people are still screaming at them. But that won't happen, because Republicans screen their audience and anyone who speaks up or wears the wrong t-shirt gets dragged out.

[edit on 6/7/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join