It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early 1900s in Colour

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Did you notice that the picture in Holland the people still looked crazy lol.
Also the mongolian child stuck in a wooden box was kind of random.
reply to post by badfish86

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Outstanding OP. Out-freaking-standing. This is the kind of stuff that is like a soothing medicine for my aching heart. Thank you for brightening my day.

To any who support any war on Earth, look through these pictures. Look at the people who come from the land that you hate. The Palestinians, or the Iranians. This was before Wahabbism ruined their spirituality. These people are not our enemies. They are just people.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by badfish86
I came across these and thought I'd share

citynoise.org...

In the early part of the 20th century French-Jewish capitalist Albert Kahn set about to collect a photographic record of the world, the images were held in an 'Archive of the Planet'. Before the 1929 stock market crash he was able to amass a collection of 180,000 metres of b/w film and more than 72,000 autochrome plates, the first industrial process for true colour photography

The one picture of the Sphinx caught my eye, Could anyone do me a favor and upload the picture from the website. also a recent picture of the sphinx.

to me it looks as if they rebuilt the sphinx's legs but i was unaware of this, what does everyone else think
You can also see a stack of bricks across the side of the Sphinx lmao

Yea just googled sphinx and yea there definitely were no legs before...

So lead leads me to say....

Isn't there something buried beneath the paws....but if the paws were put in after 1900, then that means that whatever is under the paws , possibly also could have been put there after.

So why are we never told of this ?

That single picture is the catalyst for so many questions yet to be answered.

But for the rest....It's almost like these people live now....that is what color does to your perspective on these people.

Things have not changed all that much once you ad a bit of color.

I love history so this is a huge plus for me.

Thanks for posting this.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
Don't these guys seem awfully "happy" for being outside, amongst guys and in the African heat?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a6ce735d40a.jpg[/atsimg]

--airspoon

Those are covers that they wear 24/7...

Saw a special on one of the history channels or discovery about them.....

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
The two pictures that caught my attention were the Iraq and Iran pictures. Women(or girls in the iran pic) and not a burqa in sight.

Iran
citynoise.org...

Iraq
citynoise.org...

[edit on 6-6-2010 by LordBaskettIV]

Actually that's not Iran... That's India.... The titles are above the pictures... Not below.

I'm pretty sure the names are under the pics...

you may want to re-check again.

Hence when you see mongolian looking men on horses, and then underneath it , it says.........Mongolia !!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Nice, it is amazing how the color makes them look "less old". I guess my eyes have been trained.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by slane69]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Great collection, thanks for the link, OP.

As far as the Sphinx goes, it really does look as though the legs were added later, which might put to bed all the conspiracy theories about the secret room under the left paw. One of those theories are that there is a secret room with the scrolls from the library at Alexandria buried there.

I'll do some digging around and see what I can find out.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The one that amazed me was the one of the group of soldiers I believe missing arms and legs and stuff. Notice how they are smiling like not a care in the world. To get their picture taken must have been a pretty big thing to them. Sometimes it's pictures like that, that can put things in perspective.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by jaynkeel]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
In all of the photo's the clothes are hand made in the country the photo was taken in, with no mass produced clothing in any of the pics. In fact very little mass produced anything in any of the pics.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Fantastic images, each and everyone unique. Thank you so much for sharing with us!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
What blows my mind is that the people in the photos likely never saw
the finished product. Back in those days, weren't the pictures developed
after a given trip was over... in a dark room back home, or something
like that? I wonder if they even knew what a photo was in some of
those countries.

Those guys with the boners made me laugh and the girl in the box being
starved to death made me sad. I wonder what she did to deserve such
a harsh agonizing death?
-cwm

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Very cool photo's, loved the nostalgia feel!
And people do realize that the guys in that photo of Africa - three standing together with 'excitement' lol aren't really experiencing boners right?
it's a cultural practice - something where they bind THAT area for men's rites.
Might have misconstrued the sarcasm, though hehehe.
(I believe)
Cheers
Wag

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this.
I have to admit, this is the first time I've seen these.
Awesome.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dampnickers

up untill the mid 1800's the sphinx was almost entirely buried. Maybe another reason it has lasted for 15,000 years.

Before anyone queries the time period, just remember it has been there since egypt had a tropical climate and severe rain/weather. Which is approx 13,000 bc.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Again I would like to thank everyone for their appreciation towards this thread

It is so great to see everyone enjoying the pictures as soon as i seen them i thought of everyone at ATS and instantly knew everyone would love them.

so don't thank me for posting i just found them. you took the time to view them you should just thank yourself for being part of ATS

with all the arguments and all the different perspective's here on ATS it's great when everyone can come together an share a common interest.
for we are all looking for are own truths. we all have are own thoughts, but something like this we can still all come together and share for the true greatness of the pictures.

and tomorrow we'll go back out and try are best to prove our truths and show our individual righteousness

but until then let's enjoy the fact we can all see eye to eye while looking at these pictures

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Look at both pics,its obvious at the time of the first photo the legs had not yet been uncovered, the dirt level around the sphinx is the giveaway.

The legs look so new still because they were buried longer than the rest of the sphinx. In my own opinion the head is out of propurtion because some vain pharoa carved over the original head. Most likely a lion's head and made in the time of leo. About 13,000bc

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
This is so awesome. I love looking at pictures from the old "black and white" days but could never really imagine them in color. Hence was always curious as to what color the clothings and designs held in those pictures. This is simply amazing.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Thought I'd add to this...

This site has a lot of galleries with WW1 era photos in color and such.

Enjoy!

www.worldwaronecolorphotos.com...

[edit on 8-6-2010 by bvproductions]

Also, this site has TONS of amazing old photos...some are in color, some not:

www.old-picture.com...

[edit on 8-6-2010 by bvproductions]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Excellent post, this will fill in a lot of spare time chasing down the links!

Ghosting in these pictures is quite easily spotted, as someone else pointed out, the long exposure times means someone can move about during the taking of the photo, and appear as a ghost. You can do it yourself, set up a long exposure, at night is best, then walk around in front of the lens, stop for a few seconds, then move to another spot, and wait, if you vary the length of time in each position you can be either a faint or rather solid ghost

As to the paws of the Sphinx, they look rather new and unconvincing, does Hawas have a theory on the paws?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ByteChanger

Originally posted by airspoon
Don't these guys seem awfully "happy" for being outside, amongst guys and in the African heat?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6a6ce735d40a.jpg[/atsimg]

--airspoon

lmao... Took me awhile to spot...

Also, interestingly, the shape of their huts....

I half expect to see Papa Smurf around here somewhere

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join