It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attitude

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
It sounds so simple doesn't it, just change the way you think about things! It is easy for me because I'm a "glass half full" kinda guy, but for whatever reasons, so many have a knee jerk reaction to everything they encounter, as just more crap in the world. I am not judging these folks, just observing that without a conscious effort, we all become stained with life's more negative attributes.

To be honest, I haven't read the thread past this, but I just wanted to say this before I forgot it... You say that most people have a 'knee jerk reaction' to everything they encounter as more crap in the world... but have you ever stopped to consider that the only thing you really achieve by being a 'glass half full' kinda guy is that your knee jerk reaction to everything you encounter is just more non-crap in the world.

Face it - the world is full of crap.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LususNaturae

Your right, the world is full of crap. From the oil spill to kids starving in Africa. It's not right to ignore the negative. At the same time you don't need to let the "crap" you deal with on a day to day basis get the better of you. You do this by changing your attitude, change the way you see things.

Take work for example, it's easy to just see it as just work, another day in, another day out. I'm sure we would all rather be out fishing or boating or spending time with our family rather than working a job you don't particularly like, which is just fine. But, you don't need to let it effect you in a negative manner. When you find yourself saying, "Ugg another day of work, this sucks, I hate my job...etc. etc." You are letting it get to you, you are letting it effect your thoughts, you are letting it control your emotions, and essentially, you are letting it control you.

With a change in attitude, these bad and mundane and boring things really aren't THAT bad.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I see work as a bad thing because it robs me of 10 hours of my life every day, for what? A 100 bucks?

Sure, a change in attitude can do a lot, but like you said, we can't ignore the negative. And I view working for one of the biggest automobile makers as a huge negative. I don't WANT to work for a company. I WANT to work for myself.

That's why I'm gonna start a farm. ANd I'm sure that's gonna have loads of negative things, like all the debts and loans to start it up, paying taxes worrying if the weathers gonna ruin my crops etc... but at least i'll be worry for myself and not about how $#!^^% work is.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I see work as a bad thing because it robs me of 10 hours of my life every day, for what? A 100 bucks?

Sure, a change in attitude can do a lot, but like you said, we can't ignore the negative. And I view working for one of the biggest automobile makers as a huge negative. I don't WANT to work for a company. I WANT to work for myself.

That's why I'm gonna start a farm. ANd I'm sure that's gonna have loads of negative things, like all the debts and loans to start it up, paying taxes worrying if the weathers gonna ruin my crops etc... but at least i'll be worry for myself and not about how $#!^^% work is.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by doped00
Attitude. We have all seen the pictures on the wall in school saying, "Attitude is a small thing that makes a big difference". How much of us actually understand what that means?

About 3 months ago, I became aware that my general attitude was more negative than positive. I realized I was focusing more on negative things rather than positive things. "Math sucks, this English paper is stupid, this Botany assignment is worthless, work sucks, I hate getting up early....". Once I became aware of this, over the past 3 months I have changed it now to a generally more positive attitude.

My life has been a whole lot better. For example, I just recently completed a 3 week accelerated English course. I could have went in there with a sucky attitude, dreading the worst, making myself miserable before it even started, as I am not particularly fond of writing. But, I went in there with a positive attitude, knowing I probably wasn't going to like it, but I didn't have to like it, I was going to make the best out of it. And what happened? I actually didn't mind the class and actually enjoyed it. I enjoyed writing about whatever I wanted to, that fit the particular assignment.

Now, this girl that sat next to me repeatedly said, "This sucks, this paper is stupid, this is pointless...." etc. etc. And for her, I'm sure, the class was a huge drag, she probably dreaded waking up to go to it, and all around had a bad experience simply because of her attitude. I mean, c'mon, it wasn't THAT bad. We got to sit in a comfortable chair, in an air conditioned room, listen to music if we wanted, take breaks whenever we needed...With a negative attitude, that could easily be: I hate writing, I hate typing, why does this paper have to be so long, 4 hours for a class is too long...

The whole "creating your reality" thing, in my opinion, is simply a change in attitude, which is a change in your perspective on how you see things. This doesn't mean you have to like everything you do and it doesn't mean you just focus on the positive and ignore the negative, but what it does mean is those bad things you have to do, don't drag you down, they don't piss you off, they don't bring a flood of negative emotions.

Whenever you have to do something you don't want to do or something bad happens, you do not have to let it effect you in a bad way. As I was driving down the Interstate the other day, trying to make the 4 hour trip for a 30 minute eye doctor appointment, half way my tire blows. I could have gotten all flustered, pissed off, cursing, mad, angry, because I knew now I wasn't going to make it on time and today was the only day for the next month my schedule allowed me to make the trip. I knew I just wasted over a half a tank a gas for nothing plus the money to purchase a new tire (money is real tight right now) and half a day wasted.

On paper this looks like a bad experience, but it only would have been if I had let it. Instead it went something like this: (1) My tire blows - (my response): Ah, whatever, the tire was bad anyways, I didn't get hurt, good thing I have a spare in the trunk, a "Vehicle Help" van came and gave me a better jack, awesome! (2) 1.5 hour wait while they put on a new tire - (my response): No biggy, I brought a book, I'll just chillax for a while. (3) $230 later for gas and a couple new tires - (my response considering I only had $600 to my name): Yeah that's about a third of my bank account, but I still got enough for food and it's just money, I'll make it back, now I've got two new tires that I needed anyways and I got to read my book for an hour and a half.

I have been reading about Buddhism lately and it teaches about controlling your thoughts. A thought only holds as much power over you as you let it and a potentially bad experience only effects you in a bad way if you let it, just like money only holds as much value as you give it.

Learn to develop control of your thoughts, your attitude, and you gain control over your emotions. You will find yourself in a good mood more and more. No longer will you be prone to the roller coasters of emotions and mood swings.

Change your thoughts, change your attitude, change your life. You do not need to let bad thing effect you in a bad way. When you find yourself with a crummy attitude, change it right away, and soon that positive attitude becomes a habit.

Edit: I wanted to share my experience and in no way do I profess I am a master of my thoughts and attitude yet. But I have come a very long ways and I keep striving to improve.

Thanks for your post. Even though you may only be 19, you are certainly far wiser and matured than many.

Some may say that at your age, you can afford to be frivolous, but once you settle down with family and kids, your concerns and worries will mount, and it will take a toll on your present attitude and change you for worse.

However, nothing can be further from the truth. It is such attitude - never say die and taking responsibility for your own actions of your on free will, without blaming others, will you succeed in life, not necessarily of materialistic nature, but at a spiritual level where others will find comfort and solace with you and your presence.

You are a rare find in humanity, and may more learn from your shared experiences. Y

ou are the last of a kind that our forefathers were, who never bowed and grovel to Adversity, but to confront it head on and do what needs to be done, to alleviate theirs and others sufferings and forged a new destiny for a new land together, an inspiration for humanity at large, even though that inspiration had been tweaked, twisted and manipulated by those in power who seek to control and enslave us all.

While it may be too late to change this intricately linked and complex world without destruction to millions of innocent lives, we can still wake up and change ourselves, and together, reclaimed that inspiration for ourselves and our next generations.

Cheers and thanks for sharing your insight! :-)

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LususNaturae

No matter what you do, ever, there will always be negatives aspects to it. Your outlook and attitude do control how the negative aspects effect you on an emotional level.

Good luck with your endeavour!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join