It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shocking Reality of Modern Day Extinction.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WishForWings

I hope it will result in a victory for the Whales.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Thanks for the Jeremy Jackson video as well. What he said parallels what I read in the book "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. We have destroyed the world's fisheries. Given that the vast majority of the planet's population not only lives near the oceans but also is fed by them raises a very disturbing problem whichh, if not controlled now, will ruin the world's salt waters for 10's of thousands of years. In other words - We are committing suicide. Scary stuff, no wonder most people don;t even want to hear about, no less think about it.
The bottom line here is that if we do not control population growth we're gone as a species. Modern capitalism is dependant on growth so I think we need a new ecomonic model to work with. It will be hard, very hard and there will be sufering shared by all but we can change things for the better. If we don;t do it, the planet sure as hell will.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

You're welcome.

I agree with you on the economic system.

Population control I think is debatable.
I'll explain my point of view.

The last 60 or so years almost all western nations lost their self sufficient economies.
Everything that can be mass produced is taken out and moved to countries where there is a cheaper workforce.

First result is : We are know depending on others to gather our resources. If something goes wrong like a famine because crops and weeds production fail we don't really notice it because we are wealthy enough to buy somewhere else.
However... As you have seen with this crisis we are left with jobs that are easily effected by problems and the crises shows that there does not even have to happen something to see or wealth vaporize. Why ? Because of a bubble that bursts.

The bubble exists from the rising of value which is not based on anything then demand and value of a currency.
Problem is money. Money is representing the value of a product. In the past this was gold. They heve turned Money into a product which effects what you have to pay for a bread. But that same bread is still just as expensive as a cup of butter a century ago.

Interest creates money that does not represent anything and thus leads to inflation.

Now for the poor countries. Our food is produced there. Their crops a re shipped her leving them without food and without land to grow food themselves.
Result : Destruction of habitats and overfishing cause they got to eat.

So this is a pretty big cause of our problems. Above this comes our consumerism which right now needs more then the Earth can give.

I kid you not when I say : Prohibiting multinational corporations . Takes away their power, Makes us self sufficient again, leaves the poor with their own land.

Problem solved.

When we are talking resources... The west uses almost all of it. Killing of Africa would not change a thing. Think about it.

I now it sounds a little simplistic but it is all it needs. IMO

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Hi

Have you had the change of fining out what kind of actions Australia is willing to take against the Japanese Whale industry ?

Kind regards

~ SK

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I'm horrible at research, but this is a recent article which explains it a billion times better then I ever could. I'm not well informed on the topic, I just love animals. I hope this helps solve your questions.

Australia legal action to stop Japanese whaling

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Thank you very much.

I will look at it tonight. I'm going working first.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
There is still some good news.

[color=cyan2]New info add relating OP.

Governments to debate planet "bailout"
11 May 2010

Never has the world faced a more pressing crisis than the current loss of biodiversity, which affects every man, woman and child. The gap between the pressure on our natural resources and governments’ response to the deterioration is widening. IUCN is calling for governments to come up with a “bailout plan,” a 10-year strategy that will help countries halt and reverse this loss.

But as have mentioned in the OP. We have got to act now or it could be to late !

“Twenty-one percent of all known mammals, 30 percent of all known amphibians,12 percent of all known birds, 35 percent of conifers and cycads, 17 percent of sharks and 27 percent of reef-building corals assessed for the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species™ are threatened with extinction,” says Bill Jackson, IUCN Deputy Director General. “If the world made equivalent losses in share prices there would be a rapid response and widespread panic, as we saw during the recent economic crisis. The loss of biodiversity, crucial to life on earth, has, in comparison, produced little response. By ignoring the urgent need for action we stand to pay a much higher price in the long term than the world can afford.”

Governments to debate planet "bailout"

So please ladies and gentlemen. Spread the word. The more people realize the urgency of the situation, the more strings will be pulled.

Kind regards

~ Sinter

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
[color=cyan3]Snake Populations Mysteriously Plummet

Again I find species in decline... ?! Scientists don't understand how and why.
It's probably a little more complex but the cause, it is simple IMO.

A main source of food has already been in decline for a while. Amphibians like frogs.
The Snakes habitats keep getting destroyed...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/614557c97a03.jpg[/atsimg]

[color=cyan3]Snake populations plummit.

[color=cyan3]Snakes may be in decline worldwide: study

Every time I come across new extinction and / or related material I will post here.
Lets hope this does not grow in to a countless page thread.

~ SK

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Another breathtaking claim.

An article from a Australian scientist that says : Scientist Predicts Human Extinction In 100 Years

Frank Fenner, professor at the Australian National University and the man who helped eradicate smallpox, told The Australian newspaper this week that "Homo sapiens will become extinct, perhaps within 100 years."

Think of it.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
[color=cyan3]Snake Populations Mysteriously Plummet

I tend to think most snakes can survive most odds...

...except for when stupid people kill them out of irrational fear.

AHHHH A SNAAAKE!

So here in Tampa I hardly ever see any snakes. But we have an epidemic of "Tree Rats". These rats literally live in the trees. Hang out on the porch at night, hear a noise on your roof, look up and there's a rat sitting near the edge watching you.

But people kill the snakes. "Too many" cats help put down the rat population, but they aren't exactly allies either.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I agree people do kill unnecessary and without understanding.

I'd like to point to a much bigger problem because it are not just snakes.
Every creature endangered or already extinct in this thread are only the tip of the ice berg.

The extinction is already so severe they already have a name for it called The Holocene mass extinction .

I say this because snakes do not cover the overall problem.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Take a look at the this thread people.

Muckster did a fine job collecting all the links you need on topic.

Our world is dying.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Absolutely excellent thread... great work... S+F

I can’t believe how people seem to conveniently ignore the correlation between the disappearance of species and humans "so called" progress and development.

The once great forests of Europe and Britain have vanished... the oceans are overfished... and pollution is an ever-increasing threat.

Or "progress" as a race is celebrated and enjoyed... but at what cost?

Nature is under immense pressure as we encroach deeper and deeper into virgin territory and exploit it at our leisure... Many people simply do not understand (or don’t want to understand) the seriousness of this situation!

If i could give more than one star and flag i would... Once again, great work,

thanks

Edit to say... after posting this i noticed that you placed a link to my thread on this same issue... very decent of you... thanks again and I’ve added you as a friend

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Of course.

This to important to be selfish about. But I would also do it when a thread already exists on the exact same topic. It would be a wast of my time if I didn't.

Thanks for the add. I will do the same.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
MrsBlonde is sad because she knows that all one has to do to save animals in danger ,or not in danger is leave them alone. Without us they have everything they need ,we are like that guy who kills his whole family and then kills himself

I always wonder why can't he just kill himself ?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

That is the first thing I think when some idiot killed their entire family.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WXBackdoor
The Dodo , WE " the human race", single-handily forced them unto extinction .

So sad.

A section of road had a 35 mph sign posted. I had seen mama and Bambi on the side of the road. A new subdivision had been fenced off and left the deer a small area on its outskirts. Just a small strip between the fence and the road.

I doubt many people cared about the speed sign. The road had only been open for a year or two. The last three times I traveled it I saw dead deer at the edge of the road. Mama and Bambi, together, were two of the casualties.

This is one of the ways we send them into extinction. Some of it is caused by bad city planners and also careless drivers.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Indeed.

The point you make is important. We are all responsible. Not much... Just a little.

A lot of a little is still to much.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Sorry if this has already been mentioned...

Finless porpoises, a rare type of toothed whale, may be even more endangered than previously thought.

A survey of finless porpoises in Asia has revealed there are two species, not one, and that they rarely intermingle.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Looks like another one for the list

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Many of these extinctions were caused by natural evolution, and some due to the dependence on the mercy of man.

Now mankind is dependent upon the mercy of man.

We'll have to wait and see how merciful we will be. Wish I could be more optimistic.

I have to say brilliantly put.

Also man's dependency on man's own creations to keep sanity.
Maybe eventually .... Machine > Man

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join