It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's "mind-numbingly dumb idea": lift a 24-year international ban on commercial whaling.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Tell Obama what you think..

secure3.convio.net...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
And here I remember voting in the last presidential election. I said to myself, Obama is too much of an environmentalist and will destroy our economy for the environment. I am a conservationist but cap and trade scares the hell out of me. Looks like our boy (insert NWO leader here) got his hands on Obama and made him come around. This man truly confuses me.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

I've been surprised by a lot of his actions.. not the same person as in the campaign. Maybe it was just show to get elected.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Morpheas

Yea, this past election made me personally start believing in the NWO. We got a man that was supposedly for the common person and turned out to be the same as the last guy and looking further back they all seem to be the same. I will vote 3rd party from now on, but the electronic voting seems to be insurance that only one of the two parties will get elected.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by saxony

I am against whaling, but maybe the lifting of the whaling ban is part of some backroom deal. Perhaps if the US lifts the whaling ban, Japan or some other nation might do the US some other favor in return.

Maybe like keeping that military base in Okinawa??
Could be...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Explanation: Excellent. I concur Mr POTUS!

Here is why...

Current Minke Whale population is estimated at over 100,000 whales.

Minke Whales [wiki]

Note that the 100,000 is a severely UNDERESTIMATED amount and actually only refers to North Atlantic population numbers and all my guesstimates are worked out using 100,000 as the maximum population.

Where as Current Global annual whale cull quotas is around 2000 whales in total.

Whale conservation - Protecting the giants of the sea [wwf.org.au]

Reducing JUST the minke whales by 2% annually is COMPLETELY sustainable IMO and I ask to be shown where I am wrong on the mathematics OK!

This isn't even considering that there are more than just the Minke species of whale.

Personal Disclosure: St*r for the member who suggested FARMING the whales as that is what I have been saying for years now!

P.S. A warning to the PETA trolls attracted by the BBQ whale meat smell of this post! I'm quite willing to eat humans so your arguments that they are intelligent creatures ect won't work on me OK!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Why don't we all destroy the world once and for all...It seems we are fighting so hard to change our destiny..we were all destined for what is coming. DOOM! I mean I am sick of reading such stories everyday.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Is it possible that this has anything to do with all the recent talk of military action involving Asiatic countries whose economies could really use whaling right now, and who have the means to pose a threat to the president?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

I thought whales eat squid and krill? Hmmm, yes, some whales eat sprats and other small fish, well, its their habitat, not ours, perhaps humans should farm fish more, like the Oz fishermen farm tuna for sale to Japan.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
He shall think to change times and laws, and they shall be given unto his hands until a time and times and the dividing of times. Dan 7:25. Does the shoe fit?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Three Legs

Maybe we could create huge whale farms. Then we could grow whales in captivity and then harvest them for those who like whale meat. Seems like a win-win.

The problem with farming whales and fish in general is, you don't get that naturally imbibed mercury element in your food.

Our bodies don't know how to react to clean food.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Explanation: Just RFID GPS tag them [at birth] and release! Hunt them down when they mature!

Personal Disclosure:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
bio fuel,

whale oil was pretty big for awhile.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

The main problem with you post is that it is full of "guesses" and assumptions...

As far as i am aware, you are not a marine biologist or an expert in this field...

Justin Cooke, Ph.D. is...

And here he outlines how the world is being deceived by the whaling countries, whose main objective is to start whaling again...

However, we need to appreciate that one is dealing here with very experienced negotiators from the
whaling countries, who know the whaling issue inside out, who are on top of the science, and who
have plenty of skill and practice in calving out deals that aren’t what they seem to be. Such
negotiations require a thorough grasp of all aspects of the subject matter.

You can read his full testimony to the Joint hearing on “U.S. Leadership on the International Whaling Commission and H.R. 2455, the International Whale Conservation and Protection Act of 2009”

here...

www.internationalrelations.house.gov...

I would also like to point out the following...

Although Obama can have a massive influence on the outcome of this issue, it should be known that the wheels were set in motion long before Obama came to power...

This deal was originally constructed by Senator Ted Stevens as a way of ensuring the Alaskan Inuit’s right to hunt the whale. This proposal has involved many many politicians, Republicans and Democrats... Although Obama should be pressured into doing the right thing, it is not as simplistic as just laying the blame squarely at his feet...

Although, it often seems that people require a lone boogeyman to blame everything on (Bin laden, Bush, Kim Yong-Il etc...) It is often not as simplistic as one bad guy, in an Austrian castle tower, pushing the buttons of evil and pulling the handles of hatred.

The worst things being done in the world are nearly always being done by a collective group of people collaborating with other collective groups...

To single out one man is often counterproductive because it provides the accused group with a scapegoat and often deflects the attention away from the real issue (in this case the whales plight) and places the attention at the foot of a small part of the problem (Obama)!

Peace!

possible return to commercial whaling

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Explanation: St*r for you!

I agree that my guesstimates are just that and were disclosed as just that!

But lets have a look at those guesstimates again shall we...

A] I only used one species of whale when there are many!

B] I only used a single sub species of that species for my entire population!

C] I only used an annual total cull [1200] of ALL WHALE TYPES from a reputable source and I added a full EXTRA 800 whales to it! [an increase of 66.6%]

So I UNDERESTIMATED the total number of REAL whales by an INSANE FACTOR, whilst OVERESTIMATING the number of REAL KILLS at the same time and as a numbers game that came out at 2% per annum!

My back of the envelope calculations have been quite generous and still no-one has faulted my maths as yet.

Personal Disclosure: And regardless of any numbers game...

I don't endorse the hunting of any endangered species for any reason whatsoever!

I don't endorse the killing of pregnant whales!

I don't endorse the killing of immature whales!

I don't endorse the current POTUS!

I do endorse ending the moratorium!

I don't endorse any whaling country but I do endorse their cultural and historic rights to hunt whales SUSTAINABLY AND RESPECTFULLY!

P.S. Since there is still some ambiguity as to the real numbers of whales, my suggestion that they ALL be RFID GPS chipped so that the entire internet population can monitor them, their wellbeing and whereabouts ect. 24/7! SHOULD hold some serious merit!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It's almost like he is on a mission to piss off everyone that voted for him.
It is going to be fun watching the ATS Obamatrons twisting themselves into pretzels trying to put a good spin on this.

Let the fun begin!!

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
My problems are not with the small indigenous populations that that have been reliant on these cultural practices for hundreds of years. It's the much larger modern nations, such as Japan, that have absolutely NO need to hunt these creatures. The ones that do so just because such a 'delicacy' sells for so much more.

So long as money/greed remain the motivation and driving force behind the killing blow, it is an inevitable fact that lies and corruption, will result in over hunting -- and the potential for worse.

In my honest opinion it's absolutely unethical.

No matter the species.

[edit on 8/6/10 by Navieko]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Well said... I totally agree...

It is unnecessary, unethical, and unwanted!!

Peace!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I hesitate to ask this question, but can anyone find where Obama or the White House has shown support for this proposal by the IWC? I mean, I know FOX News is claiming Obama to be the poster boy for whale death, but there are no quotes from him in the article and I can't find any indication that he actually supports the IWC's recommendation...

I don't have an opinion on the plan, but I'd like to hear what the administration thinks of it, not FOX new's spin.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
On May 27, 2010, Monica Medina, U.S. Commissioner, International Whaling Commission said that the US will NOT support lifting the ban.

IWC Briefing

QUESTION: My name is Toshi Katsuda from Asahi Shimbun, Japanese daily newspaper. My question is for Ms. Medina. The U.S. Government – it’s stay on the same position that supposed to – moratorium, as strongly still? Is it the same?

MS. MEDINA: Yes, absolutely, the U.S. continues to support the moratorium. And in fact, one of the key elements of the proposal that makes it possible for us to even consider it is that the moratorium would not be lifted or waived , changed or amended. There wouldn’t be anything different going forward if this proposal were agreed to by the IWC. The moratorium remains in place and we, the US, would not support anything that didn’t do that. So yes, we remain strongly committed to the moratorium.

I'm wondering where FOX News got their information...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join