It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's "mind-numbingly dumb idea": lift a 24-year international ban on commercial whaling.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Obama Under Fire for Backing Deal to Lift Global Ban on Commercial Whaling

Environmentalists, already peeved with the administration’s handling of the Gulf oil spill, are accusing President Obama of breaking his campaign pledge to end the slaughter of whales.

The Obama administration is leading an effort within the International Whaling Commission to lift a 24-year international ban on commercial whaling for Japan, Norway and Iceland, the remaining three countries in the 88-member commission that still hunt whales.

You really couldn't make this stuff up.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by loam]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It's almost like, politics and life are one big social experiment.
*Slaps his own forehead*

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
They're not killing enough sea life with the oil leak?????
This is absolutely ridiculous !

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
He promised Change!

He didn't care to elaborate during the election, but change is change....right?

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Carseller4]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Oh and don't forget the HOPE.

Oh yeah Obama forgot to bring the HOPE. My bad.

CHANGE!... into a communist.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Eh, Obama's logic is that by allowing it we can control it more, and set up DNA bases of whales and blah blah blah... but looking at the facts and numbers, I think his plan really would just do more harm than good.

Imagine if Bush said whaling is ok!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

At least he acknowledges the whaling exists outside Japan, our PM, with the support of our populace claimed he was going to 'take Japan to court" and yet, all these citizens don't even realise that whaling is NOT just commited by Japan.

Our leader doesn't even seem to KNOW about Norway and Iceland.

I can only assume he needs to schmooze up to one of those nations so has to acknowledge them all.....

Did anyone REALLY expect 'change'.
Anyone who would implement real 'change' would never be a presidential candidate.....
they'd more likely be a coup leader.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Can anyone in this administration please explain why this stunningly horrible idea is a GOOD THING!!!???? Just about the time you think they've hit a new low, They manage to dig deeper. Why Why Why???

Saxony

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by saxony

I am against whaling, but maybe the lifting of the whaling ban is part of some backroom deal. Perhaps if the US lifts the whaling ban, Japan or some other nation might do the US some other favor in return.

link   

Originally posted by loam
You really couldn't make this stuff up.

No, no you couldn't.

I can't wait to hear what Joe the gaffe Biden has to say about this.. it should be a keeper.

link   
Maybe we could create huge whale farms. Then we could grow whales in captivity and then harvest them for those who like whale meat. Seems like a win-win.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Just thinking outloud here, but what if there is an ulterior motive to this? The numbers of fish in the sea are way down, due to over-fishing and now the coming extreme pollution. Can you imagine all these large mammals all slowly starving to death?

I have a deep place in my heart for these mammals, but I wonder what they will endure in the future?

[edit on 6-6-2010 by SunnyDee]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Well now Obama has lost any respect and the benefit of doubt from my point of view. What a bloody moron...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Three Legs
Maybe we could create huge whale farms. Then we could grow whales in captivity and then harvest them for those who like whale meat. Seems like a win-win.

Gross.

Maybe we could just have human farms where we grow humans until they are 16 and then harvest their organs too.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

The whales also compete against fisherman. Thinning out whale populations may increase the amount of fish available for fisherman.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

So I take it that you do not eat chicken, beef, or pork or any other meat?

Second line.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I just wanted to say this was posted here too: www.abovetopsecret.com...

but I must say your title was catchy.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Of course they will try to lift the ban, Transocean have no links to the whaling industry do they?
Would explain why its BP taking the brunt of the blame when the same thing happened a few years ago with transocean. But look up the ties people. Whats the benefits of whaling again?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
One more thing out of curiosity, if i may?
When the whaling is banned what happens with the ships? Are they still used? Are they specially designed for whaling and suitable for any other purpose?
Because this leads back to something else that made me think if they needed these vessels handy to use?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
So the only private sector job, Obama wants to stimulate involves the slaughter of Whales... Even people who Hunt, don't like the idea of Whaling. Who are the people who, think this guy is smart? cause if this guy is the brightest Washington has to offer... then we are all SOL. every Idea he has is worst then the last. I really wish he would spend more time golfing and less time working...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join