It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Did Extraterrestrials Survive Their Nuclear Age?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Three Legs
reply to post by hippomchippo

Well then we are going to die out then. There are no other planets in the solar system that will support us and everything else is too far away.

Well that's just not true.

Mars could sustain us, the moon could sustain us. Technology will provide a means for artificial atmospheres.

As far as things being too far, there are new rockets and engines that could take us to Mars in 6 months.

That's pretty damn good considering 20 years ago they thought it would take years and years..

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Go try living on Mars. What are you going to do for water, fuel, food, warmth and nearly every other resource we need. You might be able to survive for a few years but you couldnt sustain a civilization on Mars even if you terraformed it.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Go try living on Mars. What are you going to do for water, fuel, food, warmth and nearly every other resource we need. You might be able to survive for a few years but you couldnt sustain a civilization on Mars even if you terraformed it.

Why not?

Earth was technically "terraformed" by the elements.

Show me evidence that we could not sustain ourselves on Mars.

There's water.

There are minerals we require in abundance.

So please, tell me why we could not do that?

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Number one.. lack of gravity. Mars gravity is 1/3 of earths.

Two. nature terraformed earth over BILLIONS of years. That is way less than 100k.

Three. Water. There is some water on mars but nobody has found enough to sustain an entire civilization of millions/billions of humans.

Four. Mars is way smaller than earth. Try cramming 7 billion people onto that.

Five. There are no insects, animals, etc on mars.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Three Legs

Six.
There are no magnetic fields protecting mars from solar radiaton.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
3 words:

One World Government.

we need this too

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Totalstranger]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Do you really think a One World Government would provide you with everything you need to survive just because you are a part of it?

Who do you expect to be in charge... Jesus, Mother Teresa, and Ghandi?

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Three Legs]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Number one.. lack of gravity. Mars gravity is 1/3 of earths.

Artificial gravity fields aren't that hard, they do it in space if I'm not mistaken....either way technology is well on it's way there.

Two. nature terraformed earth over BILLIONS of years. That is way less than 100k.

Nature doesn't have technology.

Three. Water. There is some water on mars but nobody has found enough to sustain an entire civilization of millions/billions of humans.

There is PLENTY of water frozen at the caps to sustain human life and then some.

Four. Mars is way smaller than earth. Try cramming 7 billion people onto that.

There is no population crisis on earth. Look at how much empty space exists just on our planet. In Canada for example where I live. This would be no different on Mars.

Five. There are no insects, animals, etc on mars.

Again technology, there's no need for animals or insects if we bring them from earth and introduce them into our aritificial atmosphere...

ETA: I'm sure the Wright brothers encountered people like you all the time, telling them it was impossible and giving them grief over their dream of flying.

They proved everybody wrong and so will humanity. At some point...

~Keeper

[edit on 6/6/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Do you really think a One World Government would provide you with everything you need to survive just because you are a part of it?

Who do you expect to be in charge... Jesus, Mother Teresa, and Ghandi?

its not about my survival. its about humanitys. reduce the population, establish a one world government and religion. move forward with science without false ethics. colonize space.

100,000 years from now no one will be crying that there was a population reduction just as no one cares that the neanderthals were wiped out.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

LOL, it is one thing to dream about it, but its another to actually do it. You do realize with 1/3 the gravity and no magnetic fields to shield Mars from solar radiation and solar wind that it would be impossible to keep an atmosphere in place. Hint, that is why there isnt one on Mars now. I am pretty sure man hasnt created the means to create a gravity field other than a very tiny one, since nobody has an understanding of how gravity totally works in the first place.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Why not?

Earth was technically "terraformed" by the elements.

Show me evidence that we could not sustain ourselves on Mars.

There's water.

There are minerals we require in abundance.

So please, tell me why we could not do that?

Regarding this 'civilization' of Mars...

How would you even begin to create buildings? They would require hundreds of men, all in heavy spacesuits. How the hell would you even organize that?

This idea of building infrastructure on a planet as hostile as Mars is ridiculous and unrealistic, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

You miss my point. You seem to ASSUME that a one world government would be benevolent. There is no evidence to point anyone to that conclusion. Plus, we have done quite well without a one world government. We dont need population reduction, per se. Eventually there will be another major war or disease which will take care of that.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

You miss my point. You seem to ASSUME that a one world government would be benevolent. There is no evidence to point anyone to that conclusion. Plus, we have done quite well without a one world government. We dont need population reduction, per se. Eventually there will be another major war or disease which will take care of that.

actually I think benevolent leadership may be what destroys humanity. If aliens have survived the nuclear age and have moved out into space, they probably have quite the military industrial complex. Like someone else said in this thread, many of our advancements have come about through finding ways to protect ourselves.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

But if you have a one world government that is not benevolent then why do you think anyone would be motivated to put in the long hours it takes to succeed in developing new tech?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

We were discussing that possibility in 100 thousand years time.

Much will have changed, our technology, well I can't even begin to imagine what kind of tech will be available then.

Nothing is impossible when it comes to human ingenuity.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

reply to post by hippomchippo

Well then we are going to die out then. There are no other planets in the solar system that will support us and everything else is too far away.

So you think our planet detection technology right now is going to be the top for the next 100,000 years? There's probably hundreds of planets that are habitable within our ranges or hell within 100,000 years we'll probably have terraforming technology(If we make it 100,000 thousand years)

[edit on 6-6-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

We were discussing that possibility in 100 thousand years time.

Much will have changed, our technology, well I can't even begin to imagine what kind of tech will be available then.

Nothing is impossible when it comes to human ingenuity.

100, 000 years?!

We've gone from the Ford Model T to space travel in less than 100 years, and you think Mars will still be of interest in 100,000 years?

I imagine the human race will be a long, long way away by then, probably way beyond the Solar System.

If we're still here on earth in 100,000 years trying to figure out how to colonize Mars, then I think we should all give up and go home now...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
How Did Extraterrestrials Survive Their Nuclear Age?

However overwhelming a world or national crisis may seem, one can’t help but suspect that it isn’t entirely new. If you’re sympathetic to the view that life exists elsewhere in the universe, it follows that other planets have confronted problems similar to ours on earth and lived to see another day (however long that is in another galaxy). For example, how did the denizens of another planet survive an era when its states, federations, or territories were armed with nuclear weapons or their extraterrestrial equivalent?

The article does bring up an interesting question and some prominent people have interesting takes on it. One suggestion is that since there is no apparent direct evidence of ET life that quite simply, they didn't survive nuclear technology. Others take a stance that since we have survived our nuclear technology it follows that other life forms also would. Another possibility: they destroyed their home planet and doomed themselves to nomadic behavior.

No matter how one looks at it this is an interesting question.

Maybe its quite simple......take the topic on ATS live this week of Gun Law. Britain's don't require Guns the same way the US does. So our alien friends just didn't create to destroy.
I'd say they evolved to improve their life styles instead of their weapons stock piles.
Just think if we didn't know of war and Oppenhiemer's breakthrough came along we didn't make bombs we chose to study it to improve our life style from day 1.
So its a case of the difference between Human Brutality and CivilizedTranquility. I could imagine this civilized tranquility would nurture leaps in technology unprecedented in human civilization to date. It's easy really they didn't have the military keeping the technology secret for years before it became mainstream ...e.g Bomb to Fusion. Atleast 20 years of military. The Military Thumb.
did I say 20 years lol I'd say thousands of years and rising......

[edit on 6-6-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Also with no Communism or Capitalism I'm sure the aliens will not have a cold war

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
Also with no Communism or Capitalism I'm sure the aliens will not have a cold war

Totally
and also Race Diversity may have not been a factor.
It's very easy to see how a race survived the Nuclear Era and infact it probably wizzed through it without restrictions onto Fusion and then ZPE and so on and so on.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by DreamerOracle]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join