It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karzai of Afghanistan Says Some Taliban Should be Freed (wtf?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan has ordered a review of Taliban prisoners in local jails.

Article Source

He has said that the order will probably lead to the release of prisoners who have been put into jail without enough evidence.

The decree by President Karzai came on Sunday, in response to a national conference last week on ways to end the country's nearly 9-year-old insurgency.

After the conference, the president said Justice Ministry officials would be required to identify the prisoners held in Afghan jails and in US military custody, and release them if allegations against them could not be substantiated.

I guess I can kind of understand why this guy wants to make nice with the Taliban. What doesn't sit well with me is once it's all said and done, will he be able to maintain the Taliban? More so, the U.S. is rather reluctant from other articles that I have read:

U.S. Expresses Concerns Over Karzai's Taliban Remarks

U.S. officials raised new concerns today about Afghan President Hamid Karzai. On Saturday, Karzai told Afghan lawmakers he might join the Taliban, rather than submit to foreign pressure to reform his government. It's unclear whether Karzai was serious, but, in Washington today, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said this.

That particular comment is a bit of a head-scratcher. But, beyond that, you know, we're -- we're -- you know, we were troubled by some of his comments last week. We think we have addressed them.

I can't explain, you know, what he said about the Taliban. He is the elected leader of Afghanistan. We're working closely with he and his government.

Well I think it's safe to say he's serious. The U.S. is like
"you know"

It just seems that if this is allowed to take place, then Operation Enduring Freedom (the war) and the men & women that have died was completely in vain...that much I do "know".

[edit on 6/6/2010 by UberL33t]

join