It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Christians worship Jesus as if he were God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The way I look at it, it is like this:

Think of it as a King and a Prince. God the father would be the King and Jesus would be the Prince. Father and Son. If a prince walked into a room, would they not bow down to him? It's a family of royalty. How you would treat God the father is also how you would treat God the son.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by prophecywatcher

Think of it as a King and a Prince. God the father would be the King and Jesus would be the Prince. Father and Son. If a prince walked into a room, would they not bow down to him? It's a family of royalty.

A good perspective, but again there is only one King(Father/God) and only one Prince(only begotten Son).
And this Prince is at the right hand of God his father.
So they MUST be separate entities.
The first century christian Stephen even gave us an eye witness account of this fact, just before he was stoned to death.

Acts 7:55 & 56

But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed steadily into heaven and saw the glory of God, and he saw Jesus standing in the place of honor at God’s right hand. 56And he told them, “Look, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing in the place of honor at God’s right hand!”

He saw 2 beings not 1, so they are separate.
People need to purge themselves of the EMOTIONAL attachment of the trinity dogma and listen to the bible.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
reply to post by prophecywatcher

Think of it as a King and a Prince. God the father would be the King and Jesus would be the Prince. Father and Son. If a prince walked into a room, would they not bow down to him? It's a family of royalty.

A good perspective, but again there is only one King(Father/God) and only one Prince(only begotten Son).
And this Prince is at the right hand of God his father.
So they MUST be separate entities.
The first century christian Stephen even gave us an eye witness account of this fact, just before he was stoned to death.

Acts 7:55 & 56

But Stephen, full of the Holy Spirit, gazed steadily into heaven and saw the glory of God, and he saw Jesus standing in the place of honor at God’s right hand. 56And he told them, “Look, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing in the place of honor at God’s right hand!”

He saw 2 beings not 1, so they are separate.
People need to purge themselves of the EMOTIONAL attachment of the trinity dogma and listen to the bible.

You still do not understand. Jesus is king of kings, Lord of Lords.His kingdom is Heaven.
Revelation 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

What Stephen witnessed was the blessed Trinity. The three persons with the one divine nature which is God. What a perfect example you have given us.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.-Col1.18

Christ has indeed been raised from the dead-

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.-Matt28.18

that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth-Phil2.10

firstborn among many brothers.-Rom8.29

The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.-Heb1.3

In putting everything under him, God left nothing that is not subject to him. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to him.-Heb2.8

Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'? 35If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken— what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world?-John10.34

And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angels WORSHIP him."-Heb-6

For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.-1Cor7.14

She gave birth to a son, a male child, who will rule all the nations with an iron scepter. And her child was snatched up to God and to his throne.
-Rev12.5

I and the Father are one."-John10.30

The LORD will be king over the whole earth. On that day there will be one LORD, and his name the only name.-Zech14.9

Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.-Rev5.6

he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit-1Cor6.17

the head of every man is Christ-1Cor11.3

His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself-Rev19.12

For the nation or kingdom that will not serve you will perish; it will be utterly ruined.-Is60.12

They are all defying Caesar's decrees, saying that there is another king, one called Jesus."-Acts17.7

Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—John1.12

no one will hear his voice in the streets.-Matt12.19

David himself calls him 'Lord.' How then can he be his son?"-Mark12.37

it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring.-Rom9.8

But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived-Matt25.10

"To what, then, can I compare the people of this generation? What are they like? 32They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling out to each other-Luke7.31

Then the Spirit came into me and raised me to my feet. He spoke to me and said: "Go, shut yourself inside your house.-Eze3.24

His body was like chrysolite, his face like lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and his voice like the sound of a multitude.-Dan10.6

I looked, and I saw a figure like that of a man. From what appeared to be his waist down he was like fire, and from there up his appearance was as bright as glowing metal.-Eze8.2

And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me-Luke22.29

The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.
-Is11.6

There is neither Jew nor Greek-Gal3.28

43it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; 44it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.-1Cor15.34

"The products of Egypt and the merchandise of Cush, and those tall Sabeans— they will come over to you and will be yours; they will trudge behind you, coming over to you in chains. They will bow down before you and plead with you, saying, 'Surely God is with you, and there is no other; there is no other god.' "-Is45.14

But the saints of the Most High will receive the kingdom and will possess it forever—yes, for ever and ever.'-Dan7.

The LORD sits enthroned over the flood; the LORD is enthroned as King forever.-Ps29.10

the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.-2Cor3.17

For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?-2Cor10

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
From the theological standpoint, the answer is a simple one...the trinity.
If you accept this, then God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all one in the same, so there you go.

Sounds simple, and that's because it is (and is that way purposefully). Hard to be a monotheistic religion with multiple deities roaming around...(although, one could certainly argue a "demi-god" status for Jesus, and god statuses for God and Satan....)

Nicely put. However, the Jews who sought to kill Jesus thought of him not as a God but God himself.

John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

The Jews could not have this because Jesus did not fit a kingsley messiah role.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by oliveoil]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. "But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

The LORD will create a new thing on earth

Behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.

And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth."

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by No King but Jesus

Im not really sure of what you are trying to say however, it sounds good to me

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

I should hope so friend "I" did'nt say anything it's all written-everyword which we know is good for all kinds of stuff

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by drevill

My point is that while everyone else may describe him as Gos, he himself does not. Those passages arent just quotes from scriptures- they are quotes from Jesus himself.

Note how he describes himself doing Gods work.
Calling Himself the "Son of God" in the Hebrew culture was the same as saying He was God. Saying "Before Abraham was, I AM." is also saying he is God.

Even the Pharisees said that he claimed he was God.

Re-read the gospels, Jesus claims He is God numerous times, and His enemies also use that claim against Him.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I think you should reread the gospels. You also need to read the Old Testament to understand it. Jehova is the one God- from a theological standpoint. Jesus was mainly only to know his teachings and wanted to spread them to the people. He himself was a Jew at the time. He was a rabbi. He said many times that God sent him to Earth.

48"How do you know me?" Nathanael asked.
Jesus answered, "I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you."

49Then Nathanael declared, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel."

50Jesus said, "You believe[k] because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You shall see greater things than that." 51He then added, "I tell you[l] the truth, you[m] shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

www.biblegateway.com...

Also, read this again

31"The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33The man who has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God[k] gives the Spirit without limit. 35The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. 36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."[l]

www.biblegateway.com...

[edit on 8-6-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Is my foot me or something else? What about my hand or my leg? You're confused over a difference in roles. Jesus is not inferior to God the Father. He only varies in difference to the role he plays. The reason for this difference I believe to be as follows:

Could you bring the Sun (our nearest star) into your house for observation? Obviously the amount of energy there is too great to draw close to. Now expand this out to an almighty, infinite Creator. God, being infinite energy, can not be present in the physical realm that you and I dwell in. God needed a placeholder or physical representation of himself to interact with us on our level. Jesus is essentially the manifestation of God in this physical Universe. I think there are some differences in roles that are beyond our scope of understanding and probably only are relevant to Jesus and the Father. To say that Jesus is not God however is a misunderstanding.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I think you should reread the gospels. You also need to read the Old Testament to understand it. Jehova is the one God- from a theological standpoint. Jesus was mainly only to know his teachings and wanted to spread them to the people. He himself was a Jew at the time. He was a rabbi. He said many times that God sent him to Earth.

48"How do you know me?" Nathanael asked.
Jesus answered, "I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you."

49Then Nathanael declared, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel."

50Jesus said, "You believe[k] because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You shall see greater things than that." 51He then added, "I tell you[l] the truth, you[m] shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

www.biblegateway.com...

Also, read this again

31"The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33The man who has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God[k] gives the Spirit without limit. 35The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. 36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."[l]

www.biblegateway.com...

I don't need to 're-read' anything. You made this statement:

"My point is that while everyone else may describe him as Go(d), he himself does not."

Which is completely false, Jesus calls Himself God, the Parisees use that charge against Him, that he calls Himself God.

I quoted you erroneously claiming that Jesus never claims to be God. That's false, and furthermore, that is EVIDENCE A in his trial before Pilate.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Um, in all the quotes I have been posting he said he is the son of God. Is he lying?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Um, in all the quotes I have been posting he said he is the son of God. Is he lying?

True, however you failed to provide THESE verses:

"Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?" "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God." John 10:31-33

"If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, `Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. " John 14:7-10

"I and the Father are one." John 10:30

And the OT speaks of the Son of God/Messiah:

" For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. ..." Isaiah 9:6-7

FURTHER INFO HERE:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

True, however you failed to provide THESE verses:

"Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?" "We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God." John 10:31-33

"If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, `Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. " John 14:7-10

"I and the Father are one." John 10:30

And the OT speaks of the Son of God/Messiah:

" For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. ..." Isaiah 9:6-7

FURTHER INFO HERE:

Hi N.u.Typical/

Well said!
The Son, as expressed by the Apostle Paul......
"made himself of no reputation,
and took upon him the form of a servant" (Philippians 2:7-8)....He took 'FLESH' and became man so that man can again re-unite with God, as it was before the fall.
Jesus Christ is also called the second Adam....for where Adam's skull lay is where Jesus Christ was Crucified!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by helen670

Just the idea that Jesus never claimed to be God is absurd, that's the reason the Jews wanted Him dead. "Son of Man" and "Son of God" are Hebraisms that the OT spoke of about the Messiah who would be God made flesh.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

It occurs to me that Christians worship him as if he were God. Jesus- never claimed to be God.

John 10:33 [Jews talking to Jesus]
"because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God."
That means Jesus was claiming He was God.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Is my foot me or something else? What about my hand or my leg? You're confused over a difference in roles. Jesus is not inferior to God the Father. He only varies in difference to the role he plays. The reason for this difference I believe to be as follows:

Could you bring the Sun (our nearest star) into your house for observation? Obviously the amount of energy there is too great to draw close to. Now expand this out to an almighty, infinite Creator. God, being infinite energy, can not be present in the physical realm that you and I dwell in. God needed a placeholder or physical representation of himself to interact with us on our level. Jesus is essentially the manifestation of God in this physical Universe. I think there are some differences in roles that are beyond our scope of understanding and probably only are relevant to Jesus and the Father. To say that Jesus is not God however is a misunderstanding.

Your analogy is good however your making it out to seem like the father is God almighty alone. Jesus (God the son) the father (God the father) and the holy Ghost are all the one true God Almighty in nature.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by texastig

All that means is that other people said that Jesus was god. Jesus himself said over and over that he was the son of God, or the son of man in the literal sense. He made distinctions between himself and his father- calling his father God, and he wanted for people to have closer connections with his father.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think Ive worked out a compromise belief. I just read the epistles of John and now I think the scriptures are saying that while their spirit is one that people should both believe in God and the son of God. It is saying that their spirit is the same, but, that they are different beings. What do you all think of that interpretation? How is that for a compromise?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join