It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Christians worship Jesus as if he were God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
It occurs to me that Christians worship him as if he were God. Jesus- never claimed to be God. All he claimed was that he was God's Son, and, that he wanted to do his work. He also said that people who would believe in him would be saved and that other people who didn't believe in him would be judged somewhere else. He did not say that he was God. In fact, the whole time he said that he was just doing God's work.

***I'm looking at this from a purely theological standpoint, and, I'm trying to be objective***

John 17
Jesus Prays for Himself
1After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. 2For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do. 5And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

www.biblegateway.com...

I also believe- as I've believed all along that Jesus, didn't necessarily want people to worship him. He just wanted for people to believe in his message. Also, from John 17

Jesus Prays for All Believers
20"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world. 25"Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."

The World Hates the Disciples
18"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me. 22If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin. Now, however, they have no excuse for their sin. 23He who hates me hates my Father as well. 24If I had not done among them what no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. But now they have seen these miracles, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: 'They hated me without reason.'[c]

www.biblegateway.com...

I think this passage from John 14 is also key. He says not to just trust in God, but, also to trust in him. He doesn't want to be worshipped as a God. He is just telling people to believe in him because he says he will set people free.

John 14
Jesus Comforts His Disciples
1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God[a]; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going."
Jesus the Way to the Father
5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"

6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

8Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."

9Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. 12I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
Jesus Promises the Holy Spirit
15"If you love me, you will obey what I command. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be[c] in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

22Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, "But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?"

23Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

www.biblegateway.com...

That being said, I think that's enough. So, I ask- why do people worship him as a God? I don't think he even wanted to be worshiped as one.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Christians look at him as their savior. That alone seems to be enough to justify worshiping him.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Hello There

This is simple. you need to re read it

not much to argue against really, your post is just a few Bible quotes.

but for me the bible, throughout from the OT and the NT describe Jesus as God. As such i treat him as God.

David

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Due to lack of Scriptures knowledge.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by drevill

My point is that while everyone else may describe him as Gos, he himself does not. Those passages arent just quotes from scriptures- they are quotes from Jesus himself.

Note how he describes himself doing Gods work.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

All he claimed was that he was God's Son,
***I'm looking at this from a purely theological standpoint, and, I'm trying to be objective***

Theological standpoint?
The two biggest stumbling blocks for beginners when studying theology as it pertains to Christ is the distinction between the nature of man and the nature of God
Here is a basic intro. don't think to hard,Its simple common sense.
The son of a goat would have the same nature as a goat therefore he would be a goat
The son of a horse would be a horse
The son of a camel would be a camel
The son of a bigfoot (if he existed) would be bigfoot.
The son of Man would be man
The son of God would be God.

Jesus shared two natures. That of the son of man, and that of the son of God.
Jesus claimed many times that he, and only he, had divine nature that only God can possess, therefore concluding that he is God.

Example. Revelation 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by oliveoil]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

That's complete nonsense. Jesus may have claimed that he shared divinity with God but he never said that he was God. All he said was that God sent him to Earth to save people.

16"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[f] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.[g] 19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."[h]

www.biblegateway.com...

31"The one who comes from above is above all; the one who is from the earth belongs to the earth, and speaks as one from the earth. The one who comes from heaven is above all. 32He testifies to what he has seen and heard, but no one accepts his testimony. 33The man who has accepted it has certified that God is truthful. 34For the one whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God[k] gives the Spirit without limit. 35The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands. 36Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."[l]

In John 14- it is quite clear that he isn't God. He just says for people to believe in him. This is the closest thing he says to being God- all he says is that either he is speaking the word of God, or that God is with him. Not that he is God.

Jesus the Way to the Father

5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

8Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."

9Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. 12I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

www.biblegateway.com...

Saying that he is the alpha and the omega doesn't necessarily mean that he said that he was God. All that he said is that he has divine qualities and that he judges people. He would be like a God- he is a demigod. He is the son of Man. He is human. But no, he is not God.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Revelation 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

In assuming that God did in fact give you a brain lets go ahead and try to use it.
In referring to Rev 22:13 "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last". What do you suppose Jesus was saying? Common sense tells us there can only be one first and last. One beginning and end.One Alpha and omega. For Jesus to say this would be blasphemy if only it were not true.

Heres another one. John 10:30 "I and my Father are one". Jesus and the father are ONE. not TWO, but ONE. The same.

Jesus' outright declaration that he is God.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by oliveoil]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

He would be like a God- he is a demigod.

This is wrong also because Jews believe in only one God. Jesus teaches there is only one god. Mark 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Jesus also repediately said that he was the messiah and he son of man. He told people to believe in God never saying he was God. So, therefore it would seem logical to say that he is the son of God spreading his fathers words. I urge you to reconsider his statements, and, I can find more from the book of john if you want me to where he refers to God as his father.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

EErrrrr!!:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:
Get yourself a good book on theology. Then we will talk. Cheers!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

The son of God would be God.

What???

NO!
The direct son of Almighty God would be a god, not the Almighty God.

The OP question is a very valid point.
It is a question each christian must answer, as idolatry is grounds for destruction, even if you do it by accident or in ignorance.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
That being said, I think that's enough. So, I ask- why do people worship him as a God?

well, because to them, he is.

I don't think he even wanted to be worshiped as one.

no, definitely not. you've pointed this out, and very well.

the reason being that Jesus doesn't want the power of those worshipers. they are giving their power AWAY.

he came to give power - the power of love over the fear of death!

but now christianity is a religion with a great deal of fear attached to it - not because of the GREAT GOD (the ancient of days, the great spirit, the force, etc) or because of Jesus or any so-called 'devil' or 'anti-christ.' it is because they give their power of love away by loving only Jesus and usually, others of their mind-set, neglecting his greatest teaching which is to love your neighbor as your self.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

NOPE.

there are TWO alpha's and omega's.
not two of each but two who are both.

check your book.
pay attention to the wording and definitions in these two verses which pertain to the Alpha and Omega: Revelation 1:13 and 21:7

it's a gender-bender, for sure!!!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
and your belief structure is ?

Given that you are a product of your environment.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
God says that apart from him, there is no savior. Jesus is the savior, so what does that tell you?

God is spirit, so when he was inside Jesus working in his flesh, that's the vessel he chose to work through - that's why Jesus get's the glory. He's at one with Jesus. This is why it is written that every knee shall bow and every tongue confess.

I don't think you understand what it means to be one with God. Try understanding the phrase King David used in the Old Testament "The Lord said to my Lord" and meditate on it and you might get it.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

NOPE.

there are TWO alpha's and omega's.
not two of each but two who are both.

check your book.
pay attention to the wording and definitions in these two verses which pertain to the Alpha and Omega: Revelation 1:13 and 21:7

it's a gender-bender, for sure!!!!!

You make absolutely no sense. Go get yourself a red letter addition and then tell me who is speaking.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Mankind has been trying to make a man god sense our written histories began to exists, and mabey much before that.

For some reason...many men feel the need to have a man as god. God in the flesh....is not a one religion concept...it belongs to many ancient beliefs. I find it just an adopted need of man from previous man.

Cant give you a for sure answer...but I do think its an adopted belief that gets moved on and changed somewhat here and there to fit the people and culture.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I love this argument, one side quoting many scriptures, and the other side, quoting the same couple of mistranslated, most controversial scriptures written like the fav John 1:1. Or even disregarding scripture entirely and suggesting you use your own logic OOPS! Prov 3:5 "do not lean upon your own understanding"
The bible itself tells us how to approach situations like this, its found at Romans 2:18..."test the things that differ" (NWT refernce)

When Jesus refers to himself as the son, or refers to God as the Father (of which betwene Matthew, Mark, Luke John these statements are made over 60! times) someone who wants him to be part of a triune godhead, asks us to believe that Jesus is lying, so that he would not be considered a blasphemer, as if he was a man afraid of the jewish rulers.... that is truly dissrespectful to Gods firstborn; and his role as the fullfiller of Gods promised intentions

Here's another post when I took the time to find as many scriptures that Jesus called himself the son, or spoke of God as his Father I would add all those scriptures here, but it takes two full posts to do it, so, here's a link
www.belowtopsecret.com...

The trinity snuck in, as has been suggested to popularise christianity, differing sects were nothing new even in Jesus day...historian Josephus suggested the Pharisees taught an imortality of soul, and Sadducees believed neither in the resurection, nor angels...so, false doctrine has continued to be hard to see through, but the bible itself is clear how to see through these lies, rely on the bible, and test it out against itself to see the things that are true.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
From the theological standpoint, the answer is a simple one...the trinity.
If you accept this, then God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all one in the same, so there you go.

Sounds simple, and that's because it is (and is that way purposefully). Hard to be a monotheistic religion with multiple deities roaming around...(although, one could certainly argue a "demi-god" status for Jesus, and god statuses for God and Satan....)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join