It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt to strip men married to Israelis of citizenship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Egypt to strip men married to Israelis of citizenship

rawstory.com

A Cairo court on Saturday upheld a ruling to strip Egyptian men married to Israeli women of their citizenship in a case that has highlighted national sentiment towards Israel.

Judge Mohammed al-Husseini, sitting on the Supreme Administrative Court, said the interior ministry must ask the cabinet to take the necessary steps to strip Egyptian men married to Israeli women, and their children, of their citizenship.

The court said that each case should be considered separately,
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
sify.com
www.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Doubt Israel will exist long-term

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I found this to be rather disappointing. I preferred to look at marriage to be a way to bridge the two cultures. This ruling seems to be more of a way to drive them apart. Since this is a supreme court ruling I doubt it is going to change. It should also be noted that the ruling does not apply to marriage to Arab Isrealies. Please post any comments or thoughts.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

yes this is on bbc as well , a strange isolating move in my opinion , very strange move , freedom of love , where is that?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Gambon
thanks for posting
freedom of love..... Of all the illusions we have of freedoms, love I fear is sometimes one of the largest of illusions. Between arranged marriages, or false pretenses it can make one wonder if love is still out there. With the marriage between cultures is one of the places that I think does offer hope. That is why I was sad to read about this ruling.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I do wonder what would be said if this was the other way around tbh....

A seemingly blatant racist breach of human rights it seems...

[edit on 6-6-2010 by gambon]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

This will be called anti semetic.

If it where to be the other way around most likely "Israels right to do so"

Is any of the 2 players here really any better then the other?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Jeeze

Oh, wait, it's okay. Arab Israeli women are okay to be married to.

Whew! I thought this was some sort of country thing, It's just a racist thing. That's fine, then. sarcasm mode off.

My apolgies if I can't offer more insight than I did. I'm just, like,

I could go on and on. Ut, oh. Here I go. Nope, don't want to be smacked on the booty by a mod for going so far off topic that it's been decided amongts some of them that ................oh, crap. I just did it.

You know, as I continue to not know when to leave my keyboard, if this was the other way around, with Israel govt or courts saying Israeli men could no longer be citizens because they married an Arab or non Jew woman......wow. What an uproar.

No matter, from my limited experiences in Israel and with Israeli friends whom I correspond with, this sort of thing is just left up to the people. You get shunned by others, or you don't. By some and not by others. Seems to work, at least better than an official govt/court sort of ruling, like in Egypt.

Someone tell me this just didn't happen in Egypt. Please, tell me it's a joke and it really is some sort of sick joke.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I am really sorry this is not a joke ,some times , just sometimes I wish my finger was on a button o doom....lol, just as the arabic community gain much sympathy from the media , they9 give their opponents all the ammo to use against them, its like the whole region just cant help itself.....

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

It's not the Arabic community, it's one country making a huge mistake.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Yep. And sometimes it seems I can't talk any sense into my Israeli friends. And at the same time, they are very frustrated that I am such a stupid and ignorant individual, too.

However, all the Arabs and Jews and Israelis who have befriended me are really great friends. Very loving and forgiving, too. But I suppose that might have something to do that I don't live where they do and I am not Jew, or Muslim or Arab or Israeli. I don't really know. But they all welcome me into their homes with open arms.

It's good to be me.

Because I am not all caught up in this stuff physically, and don't have to live constantly with what they throw at each other or put up with from each other. Maybe they just realize I am ignorant and harmless to them and just don't know a damn thing about what they go through, but am kinda cute and funny
and well. whatever. I am not them and I truly don't know what they go through from day to day.

How horrible it must be to live in that region of the world. Fear, fear, fear everywhere. And for the most part, most of them hide the fear very well, but slightly under the surface, they fear and wish they could get out of this "fear zone", but their identities are there and can imagine no other place to be.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

"Yep. And sometimes it seems I can't talk any sense into my Israeli friends. And at the same time, they are very frustrated that I am such a stupid and ignorant individual, too.

However, all the Arabs and Jews and Israelis who have befriended me are really great friends. Very loving and forgiving, too. But I suppose that might have something to do that I don't live where they do and I am not Jew, or Muslim or Arab or Israeli. I don't really know. But they all welcome me into their homes with open arms."

same here totally the same , you know in the old films when people were slapped, just a little bit , to bring them back to ......

lived in dahab for 7 months , really nice ,,,so they bombed it......

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rafe_
reply to post by gambon

This will be called anti semetic.

If it where to be the other way around most likely "Israels right to do so"

Is any of the 2 players here really any better then the other?

Doctor Laura maintains exactly what you suggest. She insists that mixed religions, and cultures, are not successfully bonded in the sacred act of marriage.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by davidmann]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Though I think this is a BS law, it's certainly suggestive that Israel, through it's own actions, are becoming more and more alone in this world.

Like it or not, this is just a sign of the times!

IRM

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
It doesn't really matter where one stands regarding this incident , but i do believe that in the eyes of most of us this is just plain sad

It's a step backwards and it is representative on how average citizens of a certain country have to suffer from the actions of their leaders

This is an attempt of breaking families , families that may have children . Without the citizenship that you had since you were born it may be very hard for one to survive in this world

Although most of you already know that i condemned the Israeli actions this should not be about that , neither for me or anyone else

This is not right , no matter how you think of it

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Choose your sides. Can't have possible traitors among us. When the shyte goes down.

This is very bad. I pity the common folk, as ever, who are the sole victims here, and will bear the brunt of this evil.

I wonder though, Egyptian govt is not as popular as they would like to be. also very dictatorial. But i supose Israel is the common enemy. I don't see a human rights issue here though, but i do wonder how Israel will respond, either open arms or ... not.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller

But i supose Israel is the common enemy. I don't see a human rights issue here though, but i do wonder how Israel will respond, either open arms or ... not.

They would receive a lot of praise if they would give citizenship to those man married with israeli woman , as otherwise those stripped of their citizenship will became a stateless person . I can't even imagine living in a civilized world without a citizenship . It's sure death

But i guess it's not that easy giving making someone a citizen in a blink of an eye

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Egyot should not act and enforce policies similar to Israel. Imo they should not put this rule as it will be copycat of Israeli rule of not marrying Arabs, then here will be no difference between them and Israel.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Could understand if it was economic or trade sanctions .. But to take citizenship and break up families is sheer stupidity.. Theres nothing wrong with cross-cultural marriages ..

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Hold on!

Don't the israelis do the same when a jew gets married to a non-jew or an Arab?

I thought they outcasted them too?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Doujutsu

Nope. There is no law "out-casting" Jews that marry non-Jews. There are private organizations that think that it is their business ,but they are not connected to government and they can (and sometimes do) apply only psychological pressure. They have no legal means.
There is a law however that blocks Palestinians from getting Israeli citizenship and resedency if they marry an Israeli (does not matter Jew or Arab however Arabs suffer more of this law due to natural reasons) and kids of such a marriage have to leave Israel after age 12. This law exists. It is highly controversial but still it does not take existing citizenship from Israeli so Egyptian lawmakers made another step into wrong direction here..

[edit on 6-6-2010 by ZeroKnowledge]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join