It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil recovery ship.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Not sure if this was the right forum, but its about oil...

I was doing some research a few weeks ago and ran across information on a German Bottsand class oil recovery ship. I hadn't heard anything on here, or in the news or anywhere else about the Coast Guard, or anyone having one of these in the United States.

I don't know the math involved or how to calculate it all, but would a ship like this be a viable option for oil recovery in the gulf? Looking over it and the general idea it seems like 2 of these skimming the gulf would do more than booms etc..

en.wikipedia.org...

The Bottsand class oil recovery ships (Type 738) of the German Navy are intended for seawater pollution control. The twin hull ships feature a bow which can be opened by 65 degrees. This creates an area of more than 40 m² to collect oil-polluted seawater. The water is pumped into the ship's 790 m³ tank, where it will be cleaned and the oil separated. Per hour one ship can clean up to 140 m³ of ocean surface polluted with a 2 mm oil slick.[1]

The two ships in the class entered service in 1984 and 1987. The ships are auxiliary ships of the navy. They are used to contain oil spills from German ships in the sea. They are manned by civilians and not naval personnel.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Noone with any information or opinion on this?

Whoa.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It sounds like those ships would help if we had a ton of them out there. Do we have any in the US, or are they just in Germany?

An oil spill like this is much greater than an oil spill from a ship, like these ships were designed to deal with. It doesn't deal with the oil that went deep into the gulf.

I'm afraid the gulf is going to be dead of sea life after this is done, if it ever is. The way BP is handling it, the oil will stretch way into the ocean. By that time, maybe other countries will get heavily involved, and something will really be done to contain it. It will be too late by then though.

Every scientist, government, and the world should be concentrating on how to stop this. Not just BP themselves.

I remember in the book of Revelations in the Bible it said 1/3 of all oceans/water were going to be dead. We may very well be seeing the beginning of it right now.

join