It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exxon � Mobil CEO Scoffs Pols and Their Energy Independence Ideas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Raymond, who leads the world's largest publicly traded oil company, also said that energy use will increase 40 percent by 2020, insuring a rise in carbon dioxide emissions. Many climate scientists link emissions to global warming, but Raymond has always said more study is needed.
The Exxon Mobil CEO said the United States will, like most of the world, be petroleum importers, increasingly dependent on the Middle East because of the region's large oil and gas reserves, estimated at half the global supply.
The fact that the United States and the rest of the world will have to depend increasingly for its oil and also for natural gas from Middle East, "is not a matter of ideology or politics," he said. "It is simply inevitable."
Raymond scoffed at suggestions - heard commonly among politicians in Washington - of energy independence.
"We periodically hear calls for U.S. energy independence as if this were a real option," he said. "The fact is, the United States is a part of the world energy market and we must participate and compete in that market."
"We do not have the resource base to be energy independent," he said of the United States. "Even if we are prepared to develop more petroleum supplies here, we will still be far, far short of our needs. And in doing so, we simply cannot avoid significant reliance on oil and gas from the Middle East because the world's supply pool is highly dependent upon the Middle East."
www.kansas.com...
www2.exxonmobil.com...
www.telegram.com.../20040607/APF/406071063
www2.exxonmobil.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well, he's being blunt, but can you honestly say that he's wrong?

I confess that it does seem inevitable. Alaska and California both have significant untapped reserves, but we wont exploit one because it is an unpopulated wilderness. The other is a a seething warren of voters who don't like the smell of benzene in the morning.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This lends credence to the idea that its a bad thing to have unpredictable dictators and religious fanatics holding the world economy hostage whenever they decide they want to do so. With Chinas burgeoning economy competition for these resources is not going to let up. As the average price of crude rises other technologys become viable - hopefully we will be able to hold the dependence on imported crude at a level that will not require a major war with China in 10-15 years to further secure oil resources.

Chinese Demand Outstrips Supply

[edit on 10-6-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
"But can you honestly say that he's wrong?�

Hell no. I'm one of the few here that has been posting the fact we will soon exhaust the world's supply of recoverable petroleum. This guy�s saying, as I hear it, �Look folks, you�re all screwed �cause their ain�t no denying you�ll be paying any price we put on our product.�

Being a Keynesian Economist, I have no problem with it. �It�s not personal; it�s just business.�

The Carlyle Group sponsored and paid for a study on the world�s oil supply/demand projections and its implications. The report says, 2020 is the year that demand will exceed supply a concept known as �Peak Oil.�

I posted that a few way a few times and folks said I was crazy and or a liar. Do a Google search for �2020 oil� and see what you get; then vary it with �Peak Oil� and �Carlyle Group�. The report Carlyle did was at one time on their web page. They took it down, last time I looked; but it�s available from other sources on the net.

Pump all the oil you want from every source�����ain�t going to change a thing. The price of everything is going up���.. And will continue to go up on a brisk pace now, forever.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Good to see ya again................

Actually what Lee was saying, (Link to speech in original post) is we better damned well learn how to get along with whose in charge of the oil.

That means, "Yes, Sir."; "No, Sir."; "Thank you, Sir.�

He says it was the 'political unrest' that caused this spike in price we pay at the pump. (I guess we'll get a couple chances to pay for GW's damned war - Once now at the pump; and our grand kids will pay again when the 30-yr bonds mature.

But in the mean time�� get used to paying high and higher prices at the pump and damned near everything else���..and this is just the tip of the iceberg. No one wants to think of the consequences of what this all means. I have, as some others with heavy professional qualifications����the picture ain�t pretty.

I do not blame Bush for the spike in oil-gas prices. We knew that would happen before the vote was taken in Congress. No one really talked it up too much though.
And you have to take your hat off to the good ole boys thinking of our interests.

The Neo-cons want to control all the remaining oil supplies in the world.

We�re in Iraq; can easily penetrate Iran and Saudi Arabia.

We�re in Afghanistan � the Unocal pipe line Bush has been hot for since daddy was
President is now being constructed � controlling the large untapped reserves in the �stans. WE also have a fair size base in one of them.

We�re in Columbia with US and Contract soldier fight a guerrilla war to control the oil pipe lines����and you all, thought it was a war on drugs.

The CIA is trying to topple the President of Venezuela so we can get one of our own in power to do our bidding

AND OF COURSE, you all know we now have two flat tops patrolling the west coast of Africa����..

And you all thought it was to bring democracy to those poor folks in Iraq. Let me ask you a question����

How can you believe GW really care for those poor folks in Iraq were he couldn�t care one twit about providing health insurance for poor kids when he was governor � AND IT WAS NOT EVEN STATE MONEY he was spending; It was federal dollars. ; and as President he cuts the school lunch program designed to help make sure poor kids get at least one meal a day�����..

You think he really care for the Iraqis when he doesn�t seem to give 2 � Sh%t$ about you? Think about it.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
There is this controversial scientific theory thats been posted about on ATS before.

Abiotic Theory of Oil Formation

There is an alternative theory about the formation of oil and gas deposits that could change estimates of potential future oil reserves. According to this theory, oil is not a fossil fuel at all, but was formed deep in the Earth's crust from inorganic materials. The theory was first proposed in the 1950s by Russian and Ukranian scientists. Based on the theory, successful exploratory drilling has been undertaken in the Caspian Sea region, Western Siberia, and the Dneiper-Donets Basin.

The link has some interesting reading, the ship is still out on whether the theory is right or wrong however some intriguing results have been found,

www.enviroliteracy.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Enviromental Literacy Council, Abiotic Oil

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I do not blame Bush for the spike in oil-gas prices. We knew that would happen before the vote was taken in Congress. No one really talked it up too much though.

Thanks for not blaming Bush, although some of your prose crosses the threshold of refuting the quoted statement above.

I don't subscibe to the J.Carter school of lowered expectations, no I'm more Reaganistic in that optimism with a healthy dose of action will ensure our future much more reliably than just "taking it as it comes" If that means introducing democracy to other countries by whatever means neccessary then so be it, if we take no action I can guarantee others will do so, in the power vacuum left by isolationism and withdrawl advocated by certain politicians.

[edit on 10-6-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Aren't you the smart one!

VERRRRRR-Y GOOD.

I love it. Seriously, I enjoy waiting for your replies because you're grounded of this world and do thing like..............cite facts; give citations, and all that grown, educated like way...........and most of all. I NEVER CAN guess what challenge coming back at me.

Remember I told you I really like challenging women. Remember?

But let's get to the 'skinny' of this......................

The studies that were done in the mid 90's were based upon existing technologies; they also expanded the total amount of the world�s reserves anticipating generous amount new oil being discovered.

They also said: there was not the time to discover, develop, and set in place the marketing infrastructure before the world�s supply of oil was exhausted. (Exhausted is defined as oil which is too damned expensive for daily use as a common commodity.)

I�m not pooh-poohing your link. In fact I�m looking for an American company I heard of who is using the same/ or similar process to turn your basic garbage trucks contents into oil. They are marketing it to municipalities as double savings: lower costs of land fill; and have diesel fuel to power your fleets. As the price of oil goes up it seems like a good �take chance� investment opportunity.

But even if you could bring this on line tomorrow I doubt it could provide the volumes required. The long term fact and reality that we all must face is the price of every thing we buy is going to go up���.the only thing we can disagree on is the rate of climb (somewhere between slow and fast)����.in any even dig deeper in those pockets.

The second reality which is not talked of is the Internationalization of the world economy.

The long and short of it is�������.the pressures of supply and demand will act to suppress the income of the USA�s average family. If labor costs too much here���..off to God knows where���.with the infrastructure now in place with communication and distribution����..moving jobs almost anywhere is a bit more complicated then making a phone call.

I�ve thought long and hard about this��..done lots of research�.talked to folks who know much more then I������and I�ve come to the following conclusion: No matter what anyone tells you: The process will progress. There is NO way to stop it. It�s TOO LATE NOW to do anything about it������your kids are going to live like the folks on that TV program that ended, �Goodnight, John boy.� Remember?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This is proof evidence, of what I 've been saying for someitme now. The "War" in Iraq, was initiated to disguise the tru reasoning behind invading certain regions. Whoever controls the oil, in effect will control the future development of future super power type nations.

I've also mentioned Halliburton's involvement, James baker Involvement, Cheney's Invovlement, Condoleeza Rices's involvement and a host of others.

Thanks again, Gmcnulty. Even if you don't agree with my conspiracy theories (not saying you don't), you at least see for yourself the importance of the Oil Game.

For more information on how "Deep the Rabbit Hole Goes", go to www.atimes.com and read everything by Pepe Escobar.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Hi there, I believe you're referring to the CWT -Changing World Technologies company with the refining of biological waste and garbage into oil for industrial purposes.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
On this point it matter little, the process is in place � his actions matter not � and he�s not responsible for what�s been set in place����..

But really, I do try to be fair, and honest���.those are two qualities, for me that mean a lot���. I try hard to maintain them

But then, maybe knowing that you can understand my problem with Mr. Bush���.

George never tells a lie; and he works hard at that too. But he sees no problem in:

Having someone else lying for him;

Sees no responsibility in correcting misconceptions his Administration has generated;

Prevarication, avoidance of a direst answer, sophistry, and tall tales don�t count as lies. There�s a technical distinction, you see. They�re OK; and in ample practice in his Administration. I fact, one could argue that one of the cornerstone principles of the Bush Administration is ����One of deceit.

Add to that picking his nose and goosing his wife in public and you may begin to understand the basis of my disfavor of Mr. Bush����..

I actually feel sorry for those who so vociferously defend him. Sure, anyone can craft an argument to justify almost anything he does; skate over and avoid the indefensible, reverting to the ad hominem�������.but in the quiet of the darkness of the night, that quiet little voice � our conscience � knows better. The conscience know a lie; it softly calls it a lie�����and then quietly recedes into the background. WE all KNOW the difference between right and wrong.

top topics

join