It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Radio Signal UVB-76 has stopped transmitting.. UH-OH

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Agreed, however parts wear out, and the transformer, coil, transistor, that was available then isn't now. If there was a failure whatever failed may be due to lack of parts.

Also maintenance varies due to human nature. When I pulled PM (preventative maintenance) I followed all requirements. Someone else may not, i.e. "I'll skip this as it was already checked a few months ago."

Yes this is a major military installation but military can be as or more lax than their civilian counterparts in any country.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz
where did that sound clip come from perhaps the end bit is another frequency being tuned in,

Recording came from www.chilton.com... The frequency was steady for a good 5-10 minutes prior to after the recording was made. There's a large number of people keeping the equipment tuned to that number. I heard this happen about three times between 8pm EST and the time I got it recorded.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Sorry I didn't read all the replies.

But I think it was a clock of some kind counting down.
But to what ???

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

dunno perhaps a russian doomsday clock?

not sure, not sure if we will ever find out, usually people have some sort of an idea, but no we are all baffled over this one

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I can see it now..

CIA White House liaison goes to the Oval Office where Obama is having breakfast.

" Mr. President, The Signal Has Stopped - Please come with me for a briefing."

Obama: " Could you hold on a moment.. I think I just crapped my pants"

They Know.. but they aren't telling...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This is the first I have ever heard of that "buzzer" station, but I can speculate about what it might possibly be for.

Now there are well known methods of encrypting and hiding secret radio traffic, such as frequency hopping and spread spectrum. It is fairly simple in concept, but the biggest technical hurdle is always synchronizing the receiver with the transmitter so the received message can be correctly unscrambled.

So what you need is some kind of master signal that both the transmitter and receiver can lock onto to generate the required time synchronization.

So my wild stab in the dark GUESS, is that the buzzer is some central master timing signal that continuously transmits and is the synchronizing hub signal for a secure secret radio communications network. The buzzer itself contains nothing secret, just a sort of regular time signal really.

So it bleeps, buzzes and drones away continuously, seeming to serve no useful purpose. If it has now stopped after 32 years, quite likely the technology has now become obsolete, and there is now very likely a newer and much better system that has taken over the same task of secure communications.

www.airlinx.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thomasblackraven

This message was in german, not russian. And unfortunately I don't know german.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Great thread, that radio station has always been an interesting story.

But since there hasn't been any breaking news of nukes launching or Russia invading anything, it doesn't look like it'll be anything major. I'm sure if it meant something we'll find out in the coming week. If nothing happens, I would be willing to throw in my hand with the "They converted to digital signal" crowd.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
WOW! Thanks everyone, I went out to eat at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants here, and saw that this had gotten some flags and stars when I got back just now! Awesome!

A friend of mine emailed me and told me that recently there had been some morse code transmitting (he heard it, but didn't record it but maybe someone else did). He was listening to this pretty much non-stop for the time I was gone. If anyone could confirm this, that'd be great!

This is definitely freaky indeed.. Wonder what this means...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This is very cool and freaky, I love hearing those kind of stories

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The Signals have NOT stopped...

Rumors of my demise I find mildy amusing.

Nice work OP but I'm still here

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thomasblackraven
If www.chilton.com... actually works, I just listened to the static end, blip, then faint music, blip, back to static.

Do you know of a better site to listen to? A 10 second loop is all you get on that site. A streaming site would be nice. Any one know of one?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Could the signsl being of be related to the increased coronal activity metione don this thread , maybe to prevent damage

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I fail to see how this is anything important...just old technology fading away

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

that is for a fact german.
I would tell you what it says..but i can barely hear whats being said to translate.
give me some time to sit down and listen to it and ask some of my german native friends if they have any ideas.

can anyone prove this broadcast actually came from th uvb 76 anyway?
apparently none of us have short radios to prove if the signal is even stopped

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DalairTheGreat

There was a guy in Russia pushing a button every 10.8 seconds. He failed to push the button tonight and the light in the center of Russia has gone out. Freeing (and making mortal) the smoke monster - sooo I guess its no big deal..

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
My first thought is they can no longer buy the vacuum based, power tubes needed for the transmitter. Russia was big on vacuum tube electronics well after everyone else went to solid state circuits.

If you happen to be listening to 4625 and hear people talking in muffled tones, followed by a noise that could sound like a flute; it's called SELCAL. It's used in aviation for airplane stuff.

One thing to consider other than my first thought. Maybe Russia has decided to drop this frequency. The AM carrier used is a spectrum hog with this band. Other parts of the world use the radio spectrum and this signal may have interfered with them.

I have several radio frequency source books, Klingenfuss for the radio inclined, that shows this frequency being shared as an unidentified digital data station (2010 reference) broadcasting SELCAL , and also CXF-2 out of Montevideo Uruguay as a (meteo) weather station.

BTW: I just have static on that frequency. In looking over my logs, I have never logged that station as anything unusual. This isn't unusual in itself, as I have confirmed contacts as far east as Hamburg Germany. Just can't seem to get more central and Eastern Europe. I can also go west to Australia and through China, Korea, Japan, and far eastern Russia.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I, too, have heard of the woodpecker signal, but not the buzzer. I will look more into this.

I have the Conet Project cd that has almost 100 of these recordings of numbers stations. It has the buzzer on it. Most interesting. Spynumbers.com has more information if anyone is interested. Also home.luna.nl... has some interesting info as well. Enjoy!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I'm by no means a SW or HAM expert, even using the term novice would be giving me too much credit. This thread has caught my eye though and especially the pictures regarding the site itself where this is supposedly being broadcast from.

I went and found the site in Google Earth (not easy, since there was a lot of Russian in my way, but not impossible when you know what to look for). Something I'm noticing is that there are a lot of paths or roads to this building. GE also has a photo referenced at being about 330 meters (1000 feet-ish) away from the building itself. Even though the photo isn't of much and doesn't have when it was taken, you can tell that the road, while showing obvious signs of wear, is not abandoned, giving credit to the idea that the building still serves some purpose and wasn't just forgotten at the end of the Cold War and someone forgot to turn the power off.

Something that I pondered was where it was physically, not just if it was on an army base. It is 30 miles straightline from the Kremlin area of Moscow. So it could be some level of bunker with a buzzer on it to act as a homing signal which was accentuated in a way to be distinguishable (how long and often the buzzes sound).

It is a shame there wasn't a better photo of the building complex. A slightly more oblique view would give us information about height. More details may reveal fencing or guard posts. Even one that may be a little older but without that cloud could give some clues.

Just in case anyone else wanted to take a look in GE the coordinates are:
56° 4'58.89"N
37° 5'22.67"E

Those will put you about 20 feet to the north of the building. Zooming in as close as I can only gives vague outlines of maybe some fountains. A mansion perhaps? Could this be a General's residence?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join