It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4-day school weeks gain popularity across US

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhott

Umm.. what?? Last I knew, a "full-time" college schedule was 12 hours a week. You call that long hours??

The hours of credit for college courses is just a number with little to do as to how much time you have to work or the class. It is not uncommon to spend three times the amount of time out side the class then in side working on it.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
The hours of credit for college courses is just a number with little to do as to how much time you have to work or the class. It is not uncommon to spend three times the amount of time out side the class then in side working on it.

Yeah. Right. Can I laugh yet? Kids who go to college spend most of their time partying and wasting their parents' money, and adults who go to college rarely have to spend much time "studying" outside the class. I suppose there are some exceptions, but I never knew anyone who put in a 40 hour week while going to college "full time."

As someone said earlier about K-12 education, college is more of a selection tool than a real learning experience. If your parents had the money to send you to college, you're probably worth hiring for a good job. What a joke.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hhott

The last time I was in trade school I was working a forty hour week at the same time. I was doing good to get five hours of sleep a night.
Now I am in college again. That three times the hours of the class to do class work is a real figure as I have had to spend that much time and more.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

and look how well the euopean workers are doing now. Their long vaciations, early retirement age, extremely generous pensions, and the worker unions, have bled the countries dry. The EU was created to try and hold off the collaspe by getting the more properous countries to help pay the debts of the ones collasping, just ask Germany.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Phedreus

Phedreus
Are you saying that a four day school week is what made the EU go bankrupt?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Our education system is a complete disaster. We need to look at what the top-3 countries (education-wise) are doing and remodel our entire education system with their methods in mind.

Uniforms. 6-day school week (shorter school days). The list goes on and on.

Completely re-work our education system. I am so very tempted to write a 200-page essay on this subject. I don't see what the problem is. Really, I don't.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
great! with five day/ week people are well misinformed, just imagine what 4 day / week people will be ...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by hhott

Originally posted by RedGolem

Yeah. Right. Can I laugh yet? Kids who go to college spend most of their time partying and wasting their parents' money, and adults who go to college rarely have to spend much time "studying" outside the class. I suppose there are some exceptions, but I never knew anyone who put in a 40 hour week while going to college "full time."

As someone said earlier about K-12 education, college is more of a selection tool than a real learning experience. If your parents had the money to send you to college, you're probably worth hiring for a good job. What a joke.

My last semester of college, I took like 22 or 23 units. I had to attend every class to take notes of what my professors were saying because I couldn't count on anyone else to do it for me. I had to read the textbook as we went along, and then I reread it again at the end. I had to research and write the term paper. I had to research and give presentations, sometimes in PowerPoint. I had to be prepared to participate in seminar classes. I had to do computer simulations. I had to take the midterm and final exams. I will tell you honestly that I spent a lot of time studying for class. I frankly don't know how one can read the textbook while at the same time taking notes. Then again, I guess you could always use a tape recorder. I never tried recording the professors. I'm not saying college is hard. It's just a little challenging, even at the best universities. It's just work. If you attend every class and live off campus, you will spend a significant amount of time just driving to and from campus and finding parking. You'll probably end up parking a mile away from your class, so you're in for a long walk. All that takes time. That's easily 40 hours a week. I graduated at the top of my class, but I will tell you honestly that it doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot in the work world. All it means to me is that I could set a goal and achieve it. I could go through the motions for four years. I could put my mind to it. I didn't give up like most people do. I don't expect it to mean anything to all employers everywhere because most employers are uneducated themselves. They don't understand what it takes to get a degree. They watch movies and think everyone is in a fraternity or sorority and going to keg parties. The only parties I went to in college were ones where they were handing out honors such as scholarships, stipends, commendations from the Governor, etc. I had a single beer. Wow, what fun. But you know what? We did have a bar right on campus. College just gives one a little confidence that if they were to get a job they could learn the goals of the organization and work to achieve them. It gives one the confidence to go before an employer and honestly say that they can do the job. After all, that's what they proved when they got their degree. You can't take that away from them. You can't take it away from me. I only hung around with one frat guy in college, and when he was on my team, I made him do his share. It wasn't all fun and games for him.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Incubus]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
all I need is a bunch of single parent wanna-be gangstas running around on that 5th day because mommy is working 5 days a week and daddy was never there. this might work in some towns, but where I live its an invitation for crime and mischief.

just another reason I welcome the great NWO depopulation. seriously

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
The people taking their pay from the government should all be taking pay-cuts, not cutting the length of the school-week.

If they have a problem with it, they can be easily replaced. With forty million Americans on food stamps there is no shortage of able-minded individuals for any job openings that may present themselves.

[edit on 6-6-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Me think that is a bad idea. US education system is severly lacking both in terms of quality and quantity (time). Not good at all. Just look at asian countries how they are tryin to improve their education system whereas US is downgrading it.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
By taking this day out you are taking the strain off the schools and putting it on the parents.. If a child has an extra day off that's one more extra day parents need to pay for child care etc.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
all I need is a bunch of single parent wanna-be gangstas running around on that 5th day because mommy is working 5 days a week and daddy was never there. this might work in some towns, but where I live its an invitation for crime and mischief.

just another reason I welcome the great NWO depopulation. seriously

Totalstranger
If it matters the source article did say that there were some activities planed on the fifth day for those who wanted to attend.
As to the NWO depopulation, I can often see where many might want that to happen at times but I think it will be a very sad day should it ever come to pass.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by YJLTG
Just look at asian countries how they are tryin to improve their education system whereas US is downgrading it.

Yeah, especially Japan is so great with the high pressure they put on the children and the high suicide rate under school kids is great. Sorry but Asia is really not a good exampley, they have really overdone it.

I don't know that much about the amiercan school system but is it really that bad?
I don't believe that Europe is so much better (except for some countries like sweden or finland who generally have high standards).
When i look at the german school system, it is bad, especially the public schools a friend of my brother went to one in the mid-90s and his geography book was from 1986 complete with the USSR and Czechoslovakia

I don't think that a 4 day school system would be bad, one day less learning takes away some pressure and really: Do we live to work and learn or do we live to live? Kids should enjoy their childhood and not spent most of their time in a school learning stuff they probably never ever need. I learned stuff like stenography and had business economics class...both things i never needed once in my life and won't never need again (The fact that there are people who use stenography instead of a laptop to write something down just shows how backwards we still are).

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
O yeah this sounds like a fantastic idea, A day where the adolescent can have a completely unsupervised day to get into all the trouble they can. Teachers already get off all summer. And the strain on the parents to have someone watch the rodents while they are at work is enough to begin with. Add another day? yeah that sounds great.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Why is it anytime states want to cut back on spending they pick on social programs and education? Just because they can?

I disagree with this idea. People in the US need to accept the fact that our country's present and future depends on education. It's not something to be toyed with. It's important and should be a priority. Clearly it's not.

Their attitude is it is more of a burden than a priority.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join