It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FTC floats Drudge tax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

FTC floats Drudge tax

www.washingtontimes.com

The conflict of interest in having the government pay or contribute to a newsman's salary could not be more obvious. Reporters and columnists would have little incentive to offer critical analyses of tax increases that might mean a boost in the pocketbook. Once Congress has the power to fund the news, it can at any time attach "strings" designed to promote certain viewpoints - in the name of fairness, of course. Each year at budget time, the Fourth Estate would scramble to be worthy in the eyes of Capitol Hill for increased support. It is hardly a surprise that the heavily subsidized Nation
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here we go again.... The Government owns the Stock Market... The Government owns transportation.... The Government owns Healthcare.... And now the Government will have a strong hold on the media?!?! Some say that this Government has ALWAYS owned or influenced the media, but now it'll be in the history books....... COMPLETE GOVERNMENT TAKE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.washingtontimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The conflict of interest in having the government pay or contribute to a newsman's salary could not be more obvious. Reporters and columnists would have little incentive to offer critical analyses of tax increases that might mean a boost in the pocketbook. Once Congress has the power to fund the news, it can at any time attach "strings" designed to promote certain viewpoints - in the name of fairness, of course. Each year at budget time, the Fourth Estate would scramble to be worthy in the eyes of Capitol Hill for increased support. It is hardly a surprise that the heavily subsidized National Public Radio frequently presents issues in a way favorable to Washington's tax-and-spend agenda.

Self-respecting journalists must reject this tempting government bribe as the FTC brings its proposals to a round-table

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Seems to me that it would be unconstitutional, as it would violate both freedom of the press and equal protection. You might even be able to argue that its a bill of attainder, designed to punish points of view that the government does not approve of.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Exactly my point... Now opposing media will be targeted for more taxation.. This just opens more doors for more corruption and incompetent government management.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is ridiculous, but at this point I'm getting tired of talking. The government takeover is complete, they are just making it public now. I'm getting tired of talking to people about stuff like this. Now maybe they will realize what I'm saying, but if you're not "awake" yet, you might as well just pull the plug, because you're probably in a coma.

new topics

top topics

join