It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Rips in 2 with huge Coronal Hole - Solar wind Incoming!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by YouCanCallMeKM

I tried to go there before I logged in to ATS and it gave me a 505 error, as did a couple DotGov websites.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
God if the muslims have been right all along then send me straight to hell please

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It seems lots of us are getting just slightly carried away in this thread. It's a Coronal Hole, and a nice one at that.
They happen from time to time and if you search you will find lots of other examples.

It is no Quran prophecy or anything to do with the end of the world. It's just an amazing phenomenon that happens from time to time that makes us go

g

[edit on 6-6-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
It seems lots of us are getting just slightly carried away in this thread. It's a Coronal Hole, and a nice one at that.
They happen from time to time and if you search you will find lots of other examples.

It is no Quran prophecy or anything to do with the end of the world. It's just an amazing phenomenon that happens from time to time that makes us go

g

Please tell me when this last happened, same size hole, or bigger..date...and were there any consequences from it..

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

May 16th 2003

Space Weather Link from 16th May 2003

January 11th 2002

Space Weather Link from Jan 11th 2002

Both of these were much bigger than the current CH. There have been CH's since those dates, let me do some more digging.

If you look at the dates on Space weather you can actually search the days after this too (maybe 2 to 4 days later) to observe the Effects. There are some fine pics of Auroras from the Solar wind hitting the magnetosphere.

for anyone who thinks the sun is really active or going to go crazy just now, please look at this date here -

Jan 14th 2002

Now that is active!!! (and were still here!)

g

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Ok, fabulous! So, really no need to get our panties in a bunch..just checking ..ty so much GB

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by martinkb

Martinkb, if you see this I apologize for the most confusing post ever the first time I tried to reply to this. What that guy had to say seemed pretty profound. I was so absorbed in the information that when I posted the first reply to this I was thinking your post was it's own thread, and I no longer knew what thread I was on
That's how awesome your post was

I didn't mean to get swallowed into that ATS vortex

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Here is an interesting page from NASA with a few Past News Headlines regarding Coronal Holes

Feb 24th 2000 -

Leaky Sun threatens disruption

Space weather forecasters have warned that gusts of solar wind could disrupt satellite operations and power grids until the end of February

It is the second solar storm warning in a week. On Monday, fears that a solar eruption could cause similar problems proved groundless after the Earth's protective magnetosphere successfully deflected the storm front into space

March 2nd 2000

Last week an interplanetary wind storm hit our planet. For over two days, a gale of energetic particles from the Sun blew past the Earth at speeds exceeding 500 times that of a speeding bullet.
The source of all this activity was a large coronal hole stretched across the face of the Sun. The hole has since departed and the powerful interplanetary breeze of magnetized gas has subsided

Our planet's magnetic field usually does a good job protecting Earth-dwellers from solar wind storms. Magnetic lines of force, which look a bit like a squashed bar magnet's, deflect charged particles from the Sun so that they don't hit our atmosphere head on. Life as we know it depends on our magnetic shield

Very interesting article HERE

g

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Regarding CH activity, I checked skies last night. Overcast, but through it there was a bright bluish, very steady glow, to the east northeast.

I wondered about the Borealis effect.

I could have been seeing reflected car sale lights, but I doubt it. In the case of specials, or sales, etc, they usually use revolving spotlights. This was an unwavering patch of strong light behind the clouds, filling about 40º of the lower sky, away from the major city, Chicago. Anyone else observing anything?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

Could have been the Moon?

g

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I saw the aurora once near CHICAGO, Il.!...neighbor called me and screamed "it's the end of the world!"

It was beautiful...but very odd...maybe we'll all get to see the aurora?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by wiseone11

It can happen. Look at this -

the Northern Lights, solar-induced phenomena more closely associated with regions near Earth's North Pole, were documented as far south as Rome, Havana and Hawaii, with similar effects at the South Pole

From the Super Solar storm of 1859.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

well, his method is not 100%, but..
someone here posted date with similar sun activity; May 16th 2003

what happend few days later at May 21 2003?

Earthquake in Rouiba, Algeria, Wednesday, May 21 2003. Algeria's worst earthquake in two decades killed more than 1,000 people, injured thousands and left thousands more homeless. Entire families were killed in the 6.8-magnitude quake, which was strongest about 60 miles east of the capital, Algiers.

Source

Coincidence ? maybe..

check out these threads on ats;
sunspots & earthquakes
Sunspot 1040 and the Haitian Earthquake

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ausar

What? lol is it random day or something?

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Ya know, not everybody who is intelligent enough to look at troubling data and prepare are doomsayers. NASA was not at all ready for this to happen this soon. Which means either they are wrong on the time line or if I was privy to certain information that would cause mass panic in the public and I knew there was no way to save everybody I would probably give a later event date also so I would be able to move the selected people to safety without the confusion of panic.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by myeyesropennow

NASA was not at all ready for this to happen this soon

For what to happen so soon exactly, a coronal Hole?

The Sun is still not anywhere near being extremely active, and this Coronal Hole is not going to spell any disaster for us.

NASA have always known that roughly around 2012 there would be another Solar Max, which has been shifted back to May 2013.

It's obvious that we have much more Technology up there now than we used to, but remember in 2001 we had a solar Maximum as well and we are still here, and our technology is still there from then too.

I agree, that if we end up having a very active Sun with some severe storms, then our technology could well be at risk, especially any equipment not protected by the magnetosphere.

If you look at one of my previous links, I showed a Space Weather page from a few years back showing a Sun that was WAY more active than what we have right now.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Was looking for info on how long these holes stay open and found this research. Does anyone know if this is a non-polar hole or transient hole? Could mean the difference of temporary problems or ongoing I am thinking. I really have no idea about this stuff, just doing my thing, searching.

www.jamesgoulding.com...(Wang-Sheeley%20I).pdf

There are three major classifications for coronal holes: Polar, non-polar, and transient.
In general, polar coronal holes exist for many years, forming from non-polar holes that drift
pole-ward and merge, generally soon after a solar maximum. They reach their largest area
around the time of solar minimum, where they can occupy as much as 15% of the disk, and
they wane and disappear around the time of the next maximum (Harvey & Recely 2002).
Polar coronal hole boundaries distort over their lifetimes, and this is due to sunspot activity
(Maravilla et al. 2001).
Non-polar holes are more isolated, and they are limited to a latitude range of ±60◦.
They are associated with an active or formerly active magnetic region and generally persist
for a few months - over one to several rotations (Harvey & Recely 2002). Transient holes
have briefer lifetimes, generally lasting for only one to two days; they are associated with
eruptive events such as flares and coronal mass ejections (Harvey & Recely 2002).

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well... it's the 7th here in Australia, and I can tell you that it is a lovely sunny day where I live. Everybody is still alive and the TV & radio's are working just fine!

OMG! ... Hang On... What's tha........................ OM..............G!

IRM

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Hi SunnyDee, to be honest, I am not too sure, (can i phone a friend or use a lifeline???) although looking at the latest images of the Sun, the CH does not seem near as big as it did a couple of days ago.

I would therefore say it's most likely 'Transient'.

Guess we will find out soon enough.

G

[edit on 7-6-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

the Jason Collet tune pretty/ ugly powerfull
thanx

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join