It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Rips in 2 with huge Coronal Hole - Solar wind Incoming!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Hi everyone,

a fantastic sight here on Space Weather.com

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory is monitoring a dark rift in the sun's atmosphere. The spacecraft's Atmospheric Imaging Assembly (AIA) took this extreme ultraviolet picture just hours ago

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2f40a55de7d.jpg[/atsimg]

It's a "coronal hole," a vast region where the sun's magnetic field has opened up and allowed the solar wind to escape. Indeed, a solar wind stream flowing from this hole is heading toward Earth, due to arrive on June 7th or 8th. High latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras on those dates.

Click Here for a Hi Resolution Image - AMAZING!

Wow, that's amazing. The size of this is monstrous. Reckon there may be some spectacular Auroras in the next few days!

G.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Here's the standard image from GEOS -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e15f83a0cb94.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

WOW!

This is a bit worrying - can't even imagine a solar wind.

And as for the sun splitting in two - maybe the end of the worlders are right.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
S+F, Grantbreed. I just put a thread up about NASA admitting the sun is becoming much more active, and what the intention is to protect the earth and us from the technological catastrophes it will surely cause:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

These events like this coronal hole are not something I have seen in the last 3 years watching the sun. Of course coronal holes have been occuring, but not like this one, it is HUGE!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

question:

Can this be dangerous?

second line.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
doesn't the sun go through some extreme stuff every 11 years, and the cycle reaches it's peak in 2010-2012

[edit on 5-6-2010 by frozenspark]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

Frozenspark, please check out my thread posted above, you will find that something else is going on.

edit to add: GrantBreed I hope you don't mind, I placed a link to this thread you created on my thread since they are so closely related in topic.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by space cadet]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

It has happened before on ever bigger scale than this, especially during solar Maximums (usually every 11yrs)

This is big though, especially considering we are not in a solar Maximum just now.

As space cadets thread mentions, we are at a greater risk these days of satellite disruptions or Radio Disruptions.

On the whole, the magnetosphere is designed to take this solar wind, so mostly i'm guessing we shall just see some spectacular Northern/southern Lights. (possibly a bit further afield than normal!)

I'm no expert though, only going by what I read about previous instances of this happening.

g

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Great images grant

From this, maybe the auroras will reach Florida, long shot, but stranger things have happened.

S&F my good man!!

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Thank God I just went to the bathroom, or I woulda just crapped my pants.
WTF IS GOING ON!?
That does NOT look good. AT ALL.

National Sunscreen Day?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
DELETE-DOUBLE POST
SORRY ATS AND OP

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

No worries space cadet. It's good that all these related threads are linked in some way anyhow.

g

I must admit, i've been following the Sun for a similar timeframe as you, and i've not seen this scale of Coronal Hole either, but then again the Suns activity has been dead the last 3yrs.

We are only seeing the sun awaken now with several sunspots and solar filaments, hyder flares etc.

It's all rather amazing!

g

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

Thanks for a laugh, CG.

I had a hilarious mental picture.

Gotta laugh when all is turning to crap - geddit?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by frozenspark
doesn't the sun go through some extreme stuff every 11 years, and the cycle reaches it's peak in 2010-2012

[edit on 5-6-2010 by frozenspark]

I think the most recent calculation by NASA was that the Suns next peak would be around May 2013, not the infamous 2012 that most doomsayers would like to think.

It was originally forecast for 2012, but the timeline has been knocked back due to inactivity over the last few yrs.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

That's got to be some kind of record breaker, eh? I don't recall seeing one like that in any captured images.

Thanks for the post, and great pics!

Peace

[edit on 5-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Here's a Coronal Hole from May 16th 2003. Much bigger than this current Hole too, although a completely different shape -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f9d10b7e8e41.jpg[/atsimg]

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

[edit on 5-6-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Oh man! My hands went down to protect my groin when I first read that, thinkin of whats headed toward us... then I heard it wont get here till the 6th-7th and thought of an even better idea. Only thing is, it might get a little itchy wearing a tin foil diaper around for a week... plus I`ll have to make extras for changing when I have an oopsie. No, thats a terrible idea, nevermind... just forget I said anything!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by doctor j and inmate c5779

That's hilarious..... Be carefull whatever you do!!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
that picture is ugly and a testament to the works of man against god

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This reminds me of terminator 2 the movie where the phrase:
"Anyone not wearing 2 million sunblock is going to have a really bad day" is said

Seriously though, this is the first time I have ever seen anything like what is in this picture..... it sure looks like something is just wrong...

great post
sf

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join