It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As the Sun Awakens, NASA Keeps a Wary Eye on Space Weather

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
An amazing event, and wondrous pictures! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I am sure there won't be any devastating effects to the planet, but I hope we do get to see some auroras (yeah, right) where I live.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

this may be silly but could this sort of thing cause headaches.....i work at a major hospital and last 24 hours everyone complaining of headaches. patients as well as staff.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

S&F and Thanks.

A very interesting thread for me. I work in telecommunication, just what I need no the suns messing with the equipment.

I'm never going to forgive you for the "sun spot" pun though, just because I didn't think of it first. Loved it.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by punterdeb

nah I seriously doubt it.........

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by punterdeb

this may be silly but could this sort of thing cause headaches.....i work at a major hospital and last 24 hours everyone complaining of headaches. patients as well as staff.

I'll bite, since I'm in a "diarrhea of the brain" mood

I certainly do not see why not. Maybe not in your specific situation, but as a generality, I believe all kinds of adverse affects could manifest from strong magnetic fields.

If an induction motor works by moving electrons through a circuit via magnetic fields, then why wouldn't electrons in our nervous systems not also be affected by strong magnetic fields? That's physics, I think.

There may be some sort of electromagnetic organic shielding our cells/bodies provide. TRUE magnetic shielding is intensely tricky business.

I think all creatures that have evolved on Earth have an evolutionary magnetic shield (phase modulation, I guess is what it would be called, though I'm likely wrong here).

If the nervous systems' of creatures were bombarded by cosmic amounts of electromagnetic radiation beyond the threshold of what evolutions has provided, I cannot see how pure electrical chaos wouldn't ensue within affected nervous systems.

Either electrons are affected by magnetic fields, or they aren't. Dose, I think is the real deal breaker, though.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by punterdeb

They are referring to the future. This has not happened yet.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by guavas

How could something that is yet to occur, cause headaches over the last 24 hours?

Somehow I think people posting here are not bothering to read anything.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by guavas

How could something that is yet to occur, cause headaches over the last 24 hours?

i actually had read every post. but thanks for the public dressing down anyway.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The current solar cycle was predicted to be considerably worse than then last solar maximum. So far, this one hasn't even made it to the "maximum" stage yet, let alone "considerably worse".

Believe me when I say that although NASA is right to be aware and take the actions prudent for such conditions, we have seen *and* survived far worse...

Biggest Ever Solar Flare Was Even Bigger Than Thought

ScienceDaily (Mar. 16, 2004)
On 4 November 2003, the largest solar flare ever recorded exploded from the Sun's surface, sending an intense burst of radiation streaming towards the Earth. Before the storm peaked, x-rays overloaded the detectors on the Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellites (GOES), forcing scientists to estimate the flare's size.

Taking a different route, researchers from the University of Otago used radio wave-based measurements of the x-rays' effects on the Earth's upper atmosphere to revise the flare's size from a merely huge X28 to a "whopping" X45, say researchers Neil Thomson, Craig Rodger, and Richard Dowden. X-class flares are major events that can trigger radio blackouts around the world and long-lasting radiation storms in the upper atmosphere that can damage or destroy satellites. The biggest previous solar flares on record were rated X20, on 2 April 2001 and 16 August 1989.

"This makes it more than twice as large as any previously recorded flare, and if the accompanying particle and magnetic storm had been aimed at the Earth, the damage to some satellites and electrical networks could have been considerable," says Thomson. Their calculations show that the flare's x-ray radiation bombarding the atmosphere was equivalent to that of 5,000 Suns, though none of it reached the Earth's surface, the researchers say.

Continues at link.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
NASA is a bunch of r-tards.

If they thought about it logically, all they need to do is fire a rocket full of ambien straight at the sun. Problem solved, we'll be good for another 15 years or so...until it develops a tolerance for that stuff.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pepesilvia

[...sarcasm...]Thank you for such a well thought out and valuable contribution to the conversation.

[edit on 5/6/10 by Geeky_Bubbe]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geeky_Bubbe

[...sarcasm...]Thank you for such a well thought out and valuable contribution to the conversation.

Thank you. But seriously you give me too much credit. It is no where near as clever as all the information garnered from a google search that you so carefully concoct to support your own contentions.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

ROTFLMAO!

Of course it could never be that I'm a "Disaster Junkie" and have been watching the sun since the beginning of the LAST solar cycle. And, of course YOU would KNOW this too. Of course, you would also know that I didn't become intensely worried about the effects of the sun on our satellites when a solar flare happened to take out two satellites that serviced much of America's credit card processors.

Of course you would know all that... cos you know everything and everyone else is a re-tard... especially those that work for NASA.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I'm a "Disaster Junkie"

Case in point.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepesilvia

I'm a "Disaster Junkie"

Case in point.

Cheers!

Really?

[Still laughing] Honestly, dear, my original posting into this thread was to assuage the worry, not hype it. As I stated earlier: We have seen *AND* survived far worse. This is nothing but a bit of a burp by the sun, nothing at all to worry about, most especially since we know it's coming.

For a "Disaster Junkie" this doesn't even qualify as a yawn.

Or, perhaps I misinterpret your intended point.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by guavas

If you're complaining about people not reading threads, I assume you've read everything. If so, then you'd have read, and therefore would know, that I said this event was unlikely the cause and, instead, spoke in the general sense - sort of like a generalized musing one would do with oneself.

So, I'm not exactly sure what it is your fishing for, nor what your point is and how it pertains to the discussion at hand.

But, having put more thought into your reply than it deserved, I could argue that cosmic events could be felt well before their physical presence becomes apparent. Kinda like pushing an electron here, and then seeing an electron pop out WAY over there.

Truth be told, we don't have the slightest idea. Quantum photonic information transfer tells me all bets are off.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Thank you all for your responses, I am glad that so many of you find this to be an interesting topic, it is after all, our lives and the quality of those lives that we are discussing here, how this can affect us and our planet.

Personally, I would love to see everyone get back to one on one relationships that do not involve technology, as I see it, this is what is desynstizing people, a lack of real personal involvement, everything is just a click away. And I say that as I type on the computer I work on. But I know I could do my job completely without technology, it was done in the past and could be done today. As many many jobs can be. We rely entirely too much on technology and are teaching the next generations an even worse dependancy on it.

It is more about the technology and it's being powerless ( again, another wonderful pun, intended!) to maximum solar activity, than it is about the earth being burned up by a flare.

Let me refer to a story, it's a little corny, and I have told it before on here but here I go again:

A man is taken to the gates of hell, he is allowed to observe and what he sees are people in pain, misery, starving, there is a large bowl of food , as big as a pool, and everyone has a spoon attached to their right arm, the spoons are longer than their bodies though and they cannot put the food in their mouths, it is too long.

Now he is taken to heaven, and it looks the same, only everyone is happy, everyone is fed, they had the same spoons attatched to the right arm and the same giant bowl of food, but everyone was feeding each other.

This kindness is what technology and religious differences have taken away from us, and it is what we all should work on, being kinder, being better to our fellow man, help a man when a man needs help.

As far as the solar activity and nasa and noaa getting close to disclosing some truth, I do think we are going to hear, and see, things that we never dreamed of. Things you may see on the discovery channel but never thought it would happen. I feel that throughout this year and the next we will be told bits and pieces, easing us into a new weather for earth.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
"The sun is waking up from a deep slumber", and I have a feeling it is getting up on the wrong side of the bed. I remember reading somewhere that if we got hit by a big enough blast it could reset technology 200 plus year. It could even fry the computer in our car. I guess only time will time.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
There is a growing sentiment that we are going into a protracted period of solar quiescence. But even during such periods there can still be a major solar flare, they are just far more infrequent.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Just adding this article, it is from June 1st of this year, discussing the fact that more sunspots means that there will be more landfalls this hurricane season.

That means the gulf of mexico is most likely going to be really churned up onto land, along with the oil mess.

experts say there is a significant chance one or more of these monsters will strike the U.S. coast over the next six months. The reason: It could be an extremely active year with up to 14 hurricanes, seven major, forecasters said.

The inner cores of major hurricanes must be fairly well organized before they spin up. They require an enormous amount of energy, usually obtained by moving over pools of deep, warm water

I wonder what effect the sunspots will have on the oil in the ocean, given the statement above, does the oil get hot along with the ocean, or is it cooler? Me thinks it will get hot.

edit to add link, sorry: articles.sun-sentinel.com...

[edit on 6-6-2010 by space cadet]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join