It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russians say BP rejected their help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Russians say BP rejected their help

www.upi.com

MOSCOW, June 4 (UPI) -- U.S. authorities would be "appalled" if the Russian mini-submarine Mir were dispatched to help control the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, Russian officials said.

U.S. filmmaker James Cameron said Russian-made Mir submarines could help BP with its efforts to control oil spilling from a well a mile underwater in the Gulf of Mexico.

Cameron used the Mir during filming of the 1997 blockbuster Titanic.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Why would BP reject Russian offers of assistance to plug the hemorrhaging oil leak?

Oh, I know why. Because Russian assistance would interfere with their profiteering from the disaster which was clearly their fault.

The Mir, if outfitted with robotic arms, could help plug the leak, but noooo....BP wants oil to leak even more!

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The blatant rejection of assistance is either an ego move, or they don't want help...they like the oil spill they way they have it. If Russia offered a sub to assist and the USA rejects the offer this is just a sad state of affairs. Didn't we fund Russias hooker research with our tax dollars? At least they can do is offer a sub to assist and we should allow them.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The Russians have offered advice and help twice now.

1) Nuke the hole
2) We got subs

It's kind of a reversal of fortunes don't you think.

Russian empire invades Afghanistan - Russia fails
American empire invades Afghanistan - Outlook undetermined

Russia turns away from Communism and embraces Capitalism
America turns away from Capialism and embraces Communism

Russia rufuses American help for Chernobyl
America refuses Russian help for the gulf hole

What's the deal with these communist countries refusing help?

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Freedom or Death]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I really think they should have just tried a nuke as soon as it happened it looks now like it will be left to leak for months even years. I think everyone whose paranoid about a nuke is being somewhat illogical the worst that can happen already has.

There has been lots of underwater detonations of nukes more than I can count anyway it doesn't seem that long ago the french were still at it.

To me nuking it now even if it stops it is to little to late.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ironfalcon
Oh, I know why. Because Russian assistance would interfere with their profiteering from the disaster which was clearly their fault.

Just one thing I am curious about with regards to this whole mess...

I know BP is touted as the "big Evil Oil FOREIGN (key word there)firm", but wasn't the rig actually being operated by an American firm with American workers? The only BP involvement up until the spill was leasing the rig (and it's workers) from Transocean to drill.

To put it another way, it's like having a go at the passenger in a taxi that has just run over your dog. The passenger might have hired the Taxi and told it where to go and what to do, but the actual operation of the Taxi was still down to the driver, in this case Transocean.

While BP might be contractually responsible, lets not lose sight that an American drilling firm, with American workers, is what caused this spill.

EDIT: In fact, looking at the history of Transocean (the world largest deepwater drilling firm with over 50% of all deepwater rigs) it has had quite a few tellings off in the past about its shady practices.

On August 24 2005, the UK Health and Safety Executive issued a notice to Transocean that it had failed to maintain its “remote blow Out preventor control panel … in an efficient state, efficient working order and in good repair.”

Sounds familiar......

[edit on 5/6/10 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Could someone tell me exactly what these subs would be able to do better or differently from the ROVs currently being used. I dont think its anything to do with them being Russian, the facts are BP have the capability to do verything these subs can do without risking sending people a mile under water.
Also correct me if im wrong but can the ROVs stay down there longer without having to come to the surface, as a manned sub would have to come up for Food, Water, new crew ect.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by ironfalcon

Just one thing I am curious about with regards to this whole mess...

I know BP is touted as the "big Evil Oil FOREIGN (key word there)firm", but wasn't the rig actually being operated by an American firm with American workers? The only BP involvement up until the spill was leasing the rig (and it's workers) from Transocean to drill.

Yes, there's a lot of blame-delegation here. What doesn't seem to be getting mentioned a lot, if at all, is that BP (never as British as the old name once suggested) actually merged with an American firm, Amoco, 12 years ago. So, the reality of this that Transocean (an American firm working from out of Switzerland for tax reasons) have been contracted to do the work by BP (a multi-national firm that's been as American as it is British for the last 10 years) and yet evil, foreign Britain gets the blame.

I love the smell of propaganda in the morning.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
This is nuts! Here we have the Russians offering their support, their men, their expertise.....but NO, BP has a better plan, let the damn thing leak until December

Did nobody at BP see these pics??

www.boston.com...

posted by fellow ATS'er discl0sur3

here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

The Iranians made an offer too and it's only a matter of time before the North Koreans pitch in.

The fact is that what basic modern oil extraction expertise the Russians have, has been recently acquired from Western companies like Shell in the late 80's/early90's.
(Once the clever stuff was done, these companies were promptly sacked).

Russia has no expertise in conducting complex operations at this depth. As for their expertise in mini-subs,it's a shame that wasn't available when the Kursk sank.

As far as I can see from the CCTV footage there are enough sophisticated RVs operating around the leak.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
National pride comes into this too.

I could imagine the US gubbermunt saying nyet ! to a formal Russian offer of technological help. Even though the space station seems to be working rather well with international technical cooperation.

But BP is a multinational oil company without any real loyalty to any one nation.
So they could use anyone or technical resources from anywhere without raising any eyebrows or ruffling national pride.

It is getting to the point where maybe we need to start stuffing senior BP management people down the hole to plug the leak.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I'm thinking of the larger implications here.. like the oil spill was deliberate.

Its a little known fact that American subs have operated around Cuba for years and there is a whole lost civilization underwater in Cuba's western edge. The US may hope for a black oil cloud to so engulf this area that there would be no way to detect the subs removing artifacts from this underwater city.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
This is nuts! Here we have the Russians offering their support, their men, their expertise.....but NO, BP has a better plan, let the damn thing leak until December

Did nobody at BP see these pics??

www.boston.com...

posted by fellow ATS'er discl0sur3

here:

Im sure BP have seen them, they may have even been the first to see them. However as my previous post says they have offered subs that do the exact same job as the ROVs currently being used, without having to put a person's life in danger by sending them a mile under water.
As for the nuke option, this is one area I could understand BP and the US not wanting Russians doing anywhere near US soil.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
BP is an oil company. It has its own paid personnel and experts, using familiar technology, speaking the same language and all working in what must be a highly stressful and difficult operating environment.

Introducing a submersible from outside, which has a new set of operators, support personnel and logistics would be stupid. I don’t know why people get so upset when BP turn down help like this, because it would not be help. What would a Russian sub not designed for the oil industry do better than a British sub designed for the oil industry? Oh, of course, James Cameron would have exclusive rights to the movie!

Iran offered help for political reasons and now a filmmaker James Cameron thinks he can solve it by deploying Russian subs! Both nation and person are self publicists and both know that they’ll get nowhere, but both offer anyway!

Regards

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I'm thinking of the larger implications here.. like the oil spill was deliberate.

Its a little known fact that American subs have operated around Cuba for years and there is a whole lost civilization underwater in Cuba's western edge. The US may hope for a black oil cloud to so engulf this area that there would be no way to detect the subs removing artifacts from this underwater city.

Or maybe obama needs martial law.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The simple fact is BP and our Gov do not want any one to see the extent of the damage to the sea floor, which by now is probably well beyond our ability to deal with. If it became known that the blowout has caused a massive destabilization of the geology that threatens the integrity of the entire gulf floor, the reaction would be mass panic and anger.
IMO this will be played as a "leaking pipe" until a catastrophic event occurs(ocean floor collapse) and then we will see the government react. I would also say we will probably not like the reaction at all.
N.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml

Is there extensive damage to the sea floor? What evidence do you have that BP or the US government are covering up a geological problem caused by the blow-out?

Could it be that there is no such thing?

Regards

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
If the Russians have only the nuke idea to offer....then they can keep it.

We've already thought about that and rejected it, as well we should.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know a great deal about what is going on down there technically, but I know enough to know Nukes are NOT AN OPTION. Everytime it's mentioned, I literally cringe.

As disgusting as it is to think we will have to wait until August to stop this gusher, it's still preferable to using nukes.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
reply to post by N.of norml

Is there extensive damage to the sea floor? What evidence do you have that BP or the US government are covering up a geological problem caused by the blow-out?

Could it be that there is no such thing?

Regards

First indicated here

More information on the sea floor and the porosity causing a likely failure of integrity

findarticles.com...

N.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom or Death
The Russians have offered advice and help twice now.

1) Nuke the hole
2) We got subs

It's kind of a reversal of fortunes don't you think.

Russian empire invades Afghanistan - Russia fails
American empire invades Afghanistan - Outlook undetermined

Russia turns away from Communism and embraces Capitalism
America turns away from Capialism and embraces Communism

Russia rufuses American help for Chernobyl
America refuses Russian help for the gulf hole

What's the deal with these communist countries refusing help?

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Freedom or Death]

seems Cold War is still valid, yes?

How about scenarios that David Wilcock speaks about? divinecosmos.com... All that we see is a smokescreen for internal struggle inside the Western power structures, and some go to East either.

Poor birds! Poor people next!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join