It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 40 hour work week conspiracy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom or Death
Ever wonder where the 40 hour work week came from?

It was enacted by Congress as part of the New Deal during the great depression.

Prior to that people all over the western world fought long and hard for better working conditions and fewer working hours.

The eight-hour day was realized for many working people in the U.S. in 1938, when the Fair Labor Standards Act (29 U.S. Code Chapter 8) under the New Deal made it a legal day's work throughout the nation.

en.wikipedia.org...

(1) ... no employer shall employ any of his employees who in any workweek is engaged in commerce or in the production of goods for commerce, or is employed in an enterprise engaged in commerce or in the production of goods for commerce, for a workweek longer than forty hours unless such employee receives compensation for his employment in excess of the hours above specified at a rate not less than one and one-half times the regular rate at which he is employed.

www.law.cornell.edu...

The act was ment to increase the quality of life of employees and afford people some sort of economic security from which to live thier lives around.

Our entire reality has been built upon an illusion. Let's change the current dis-illusion into a new and better illusion that we can al believe in.

We have the technology to decrease the 40 hr work week to a 20 hour work week, without a theoretical loss in quality of life or income.

All it would take is a congressional act to enact such a scheme.

Such as scheme could effectively double employment and increase productivity.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Freedom or Death]

There are 24 hours in a day.

Divide 24 by 3 = 3 periods of 8 hours per day.

8 hours working / day x 5 days a week = 40 hours working per week

8 hours for personal (family) life / day x 7 days a week = 56 hours for personal and family life per week

8 hours of sleep / day x 7 days a week = 56 hours sleeping per week.

Just my 2 cents !

Edited: Typos

[edit on 5-6-2010 by St-Patrick]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by I.C. Weiner

i am all for the 20hr work week - and it will increase productivity, i know that if i am getting paid by the job i will get it done faster, more efficiently and correctly; where as if i am paid by the hour i will "milk it" and take frequent "safety meetings" and a "long lunch"......

and i usually operate on the barter system, bring me what u want fixed and pay me with a case of beer, some herbs and ciggs and we got a deal!!!!

My point exactly.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Whats wrong with Walmart?

They are the antithesis of the OP. They have cut hours, cut wages, reduced the market salaries in areas they operate in, and they represent everything the OP was speaking out against.

I suggest you talk to some of the Walmart employees... that smiley face bouncing around in the ads is pure propaganda.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by St-Patrick

When you work 8 hours all day - You want to come home and relax. Especially if you have a job where you stand all day. So this doesn't equate to 8 hours of REAL free time.

Plus if you factor in commute and all the other things that take time, you are left with a lot less than 8 hours to relax.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone

Whats wrong with Walmart?

They have cut hours, cut wages, reduced the market salaries in areas they operate in, and they represent everything the OP was speaking out against.

I suggest you talk to some of the Walmart employees... that smiley face bouncing around in the ads is pure propaganda.

I have met many Walmart employees. I get to talk with lots of people and see how they live.

They are pretty devoted people if you ask me.

Seems like Walmart hires very poor people and they are content with earning less and are very loyal and devoted. There was a quote from scarface about hiring poor people I believe.

The state provided benifits thing is one of the keys I believe.

When it comes to efficiency Walmart is a machine. They are unbelievableably efficient.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
reply to post by St-Patrick

When you work 8 hours all day - You want to come home and relax. Especially if you have a job where you stand all day. So this doesn't equate to 8 hours of REAL free time.

Plus if you factor in commute and all the other things that take time, you are left with a lot less than 8 hours to relax.

I work out-of-town, away from home. Generally, I work at least 5 hours a day, and often up to 11. After that, I'm in a hotel paid for/by the company. I commute on the clock. Most everyone in my line of work does so as well. Is it too much to ask for 1/3 of 5 days in order to survive? Imagine if this was a purely communal society- you would work as long as necessary until everyone was taken care of and you had nothing else to do, but at least you'd be fed.
I'm rather well compensated for my time away from home, don't you think?
So why change MY schedule for the worse just to make someone else happy?

Under law, most states have provisions for "alternative schedules" where instead of five 8 hour days, people work four ten hour days, 3-4 12 hour days with overtime, or something similar. So long as everyone agrees with that schedule, everyone is happy.

It's entirely possible for people to be happy with a 40 hour week, and honestly, spending around 1/4-1/3 of your time to take care of your family isn't asking that much.

[edit on 6/5/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

So would this mean a doubling of wages? I just can't see employers doing this. Pay twice as much for half the work just doesn't make sense for the employer. I would love it I could work just 20 hours per week for the same pay but it's just not going to happen.

Not necessarily, if you get everyone to do it prices would also fall to an extent. Your "dollar" would go further.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by slane69]

[edit on 5-6-2010 by slane69]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Its all a huge mess. Once upon the time the ideal was increased productivity would indeed bring us a 20 hour work week. Instead it has brought mountains of unemployed. I think it is ridiculous that in our advanced society that anyone is lacking work and those that do work can't afford a decent standard of living for the most part.

The only real solution for us to advance as a race is to turnover all industry to the people. Let us produce everything we need and in exchange for contributing to society everyone gets the portion they need to a live a comfortable suburban type life. A nice home, ample food, healthcare, utilities, recreation etc.

There also needs to be an incentive system to reward those who contribute above the call of duty, come up with innovation, do the jobs others don't want to do, etc. This would be the only place money of some sort would come into play, likely in the form of credits.

If we all worked in this fashion world wide, we could bring what use to be considered a life of luxury to everyone on the planet and we could probably do it with everyone only working 20 hours per week. Retirement age would probably be about 50 or 55.

Of course the current upper class would object mightily. But it would still be arranged that they have it better than most front the start. previous contribution and accumulation would have to be recognized in some manner. But the gross misallocation of resources in their favor would have to end. Current wealth would only be enough to get through a generation or two.

Administration is another issue. All this would have to organized by a large organization. Can't be any other way than to have it overseen by the government in some way. That is why these schemes haven't worked in the past. To fix this you have to have regular folks run things and they need to replaced and back in the working pool quickly. one term and done. They would simply be required to properly distribute resources. Make a big enough pool of regular citizens and I think they will do a much betetr job than what we presently see from our elected leaders.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by sligtlyskeptical]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I almost starred you but you said...

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
The only real solution for us to advance as a race is to turnover all industry to the people.

and then you said

Can't be any other way than to have it overseen by the government in some way.

Common sense dictates we can't have our cake and eat it too- the gov't will take most of it, leaving us with maybe a few crumbs from the crust.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by slane69...
Not necessarily, if you get everyone to do it prices would also fall to an extent. Your "dollar" would go further.

Care to show how you worked out your math on this?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
I almost starred you but you said...

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
The only real solution for us to advance as a race is to turnover all industry to the people.

and then you said

Can't be any other way than to have it overseen by the government in some way.

Common sense dictates we can't have our cake and eat it too- the gov't will take most of it, leaving us with maybe a few crumbs from the crust.

The point being the government would be the people instead of life long politicians. That's the real issue. The life-long politicians have always valued profit and GDP more than the well being of society. As long as you put together a group of people that have no incentive except that of the public good you will have a better system.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Thanks for the clarification.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake1234

Gratitude

Good message

We can silence the sirens of servitude by simply sowing the seeds of LOVE

LIVE FREE ~ BE FREE

∞LOVE∞

I only wish I could be as positive as you.

I guess I was dropped on my head as a child as I seem to be completely incapable of love.

I gotta be in the fight.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Love is servitude- unconditionally take care of and respect others without concern for one's self.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Assume no raises, everyone works 20 hours, paid for 20 hours.

Everyone works half as much, effective price of goods and services will increase (effectively double), demand will fall, supply will fall because producers can't get as much for their goods, when supply falls due to reduced demand prices fall.

www.investopedia.com...

Note a particular good or service won't fall below it's production price, that said expect scarcity for many things we take for granted as "necessities".

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Wow I read through this thread and I am shocked. I think the OP just makes up crazy stuff to find how many suckers he can find to buy into his ideas. Nice work, by the way.

The fact is we all need to be working like 80 hours at half the pay just to even come close to cometing with countries like China and India, let alone the fact that we have a 14 trillion debt and another 100 or so trillion in unfunded liablilities coming due.

For those of you who think we should just give all capital to the people..aka the government you must be out of your freaking minds.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Three Legs

Wow I read through this thread and I am shocked. I think the OP just makes up crazy stuff to find how many suckers he can find to buy into his ideas. Nice work, by the way.

The fact is we all need to be working like 80 hours at half the pay just to even come close to cometing with countries like China and India, let alone the fact that we have a 14 trillion debt and another 100 or so trillion in unfunded liablilities coming due.

Well I'm not working 80 hours a week to compete with some un-educated, un-believing 3rd world peasant.

No freakin way.

How about you three legs?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by slane69

Economically speaking, that is pretty much exactly what would happen if the work week were cut to 20. Prices will go up.

Unless the government increases tariffs to raise the prices of imported goods to compare with domestically produced goods, or lowers, somehow, the cost of living proportionally, this ponzi scheme will not work.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Well then you better get a high paying job that only needs you 20 hours a week or hope you are getting a big inheritence. At the minimum you better hope you don't have any debt.

How you going to pay your heat and gas bill when Cap and Trade doubles your energy costs? How you going to pay for everything else when they slap a VAT tax on it? Your food is going to cost more, gas, and just about anything else you buy. I suggest you get used to working 80 hours, either that or learn to ride a bike everywhere, eat out of a dumbster, sweat your ass off in the summer, and freeze your ass off in the winter.

Personally, I like to work. I dont mind working 80hours if it means my family eats well and is comfortable.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom or Death
Well I'm not working 80 hours a week to compete with some un-educated, un-believing 3rd world peasant.

No freakin way.

How about you three legs?

I know you asked "three legs" that question but I'm going to answer for myself here.

I don't work 80 hours a week and there is no way in hades that an uneducated, 3rd world peasant could do my job because they would (a) have to be HERE to do it and (b) be HERE to do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join