It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 40 hour work week conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Ever wonder where the 40 hour work week came from?

It was enacted by Congress as part of the New Deal during the great depression.

Prior to that people all over the western world fought long and hard for better working conditions and fewer working hours.

The eight-hour day was realized for many working people in the U.S. in 1938, when the Fair Labor Standards Act (29 U.S. Code Chapter 8) under the New Deal made it a legal day's work throughout the nation.

en.wikipedia.org...

(1) ... no employer shall employ any of his employees who in any workweek is engaged in commerce or in the production of goods for commerce, or is employed in an enterprise engaged in commerce or in the production of goods for commerce, for a workweek longer than forty hours unless such employee receives compensation for his employment in excess of the hours above specified at a rate not less than one and one-half times the regular rate at which he is employed.

www.law.cornell.edu...

The act was ment to increase the quality of life of employees and afford people some sort of economic security from which to live thier lives around.

Our entire reality has been built upon an illusion. Let's change the current dis-illusion into a new and better illusion that we can al believe in.

We have the technology to decrease the 40 hr work week to a 20 hour work week, without a theoretical loss in quality of life or income.

All it would take is a congressional act to enact such a scheme.

Such as scheme could effectively double employment and increase productivity.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Freedom or Death]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

We have the technology to decrease the 40 hr work week to a 20 hour work week, without a theoretical loss in quality of life or income.

All it would take is a congressional act to enact such a scheme.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Freedom or Death]

So would this mean a doubling of wages? I just can't see employers doing this. Pay twice as much for half the work just doesn't make sense for the employer. I would love it I could work just 20 hours per week for the same pay but it's just not going to happen. Nice thought ====

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Here in the UK, the 37.5 hour week is the norm. Back in the 1980's, the UK slowly changed to 37.5 hrs spread out over three years.

I believe in France it is down to a 35 hour week.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AidanK

So would this mean a doubling of wages?

Yes wages would have to double, but prices would not increase because productivity would double.

Inflation would remain in check.

I just can't see employers doing this. Pay twice as much for half the work just doesn't make sense for the employer.

It would make sense to employers if they understood that thier profits would double because productivity would double.

Un co-operative employers could be forced to capitulate if they refused to see the logic in the argument.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
All it would take is a company moving overseas to get around it.

Why employ "spoiled" people wanting to work 20 hours when someone can be employed for 70 hours with only 20 hours worth of pay?

If congress really wanted to make life and employment better, they would just slap massive protectionist tariffs on foreign made goods. Screw this globalization crap.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutone

All it would take is a company moving overseas to get around it.

I thought that most US employers were already operating abroad. The US really needs to concentrate on encouraging new business' and financing entreprenurs working out of thier garage, garden shed or home office.

Instead the Wall Street investment bozo's, the brhamen corporate elitists, Washington paid for politicians and the old people who hold thier stocks still want to concentrate on shell game economics and delusional bail outs for defunct corporate giants.

The entire system really needs to fold, before it can be rebuilt.

Capitualate or die capitalist pigs.

Why employ "spoiled" people wanting to work 20 hours when someone can be employed for 70 hours with only 20 hours worth of pay?

Only legislation and/or tarriffs is gonna solve this.

Again capitualate or die capitalist pigs.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

If congress really wanted to make life and employment better, they would just slap massive protectionist tariffs on foreign made goods. Screw this globalization crap.

Dont you then think that the rest of the world would do the same to your (US) exports? We have had these trade wars before and noone wins them.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan

Dont you then think that the rest of the world would do the same to your (US) exports? We have had these trade wars before and noone wins them.

Maybe a global agreement to move towards a 20 hour work week would be the better answer?

If you look at the history of the 40 hour work week it was a global movement as well.

I would think China would be all over this. They could effectivley double employment and increase taxible revenue all at the same time.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

THats where you are wrong....

The corporations are protecting their cheap labour offshore...

For example..Here in Australia we have very close to zero import tarrifs on goods brought in...
Yet!!! If we try to export to them same countries our exporters face huge tarrifs..Check Malaysia , they inport 40% of there foodstuff from Australia and quite a few cars etc, but they(Australian exporters) face tarrifs of 40%...Dont quote the figures but they are close...

This is the SO CALLED level playing field...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Maybe the answer is to abolish incometax
(which some say is illegal anyway and only goes to pay interest to corrupt bankers)
then we would only need to work 20 hours per week for the same "take home" pay.
Then companies could afford to hire twice as many people for the same cost....
Unemployment problems gone!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129

Maybe the answer is to abolish incometax

Well I have proposed that as well.

Solution: Eliminate all taxes / allow unlimited govt spending
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Abolish taxes and the government could spend whatever amount they deemed neccessary to support the economy.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I agree OP! I have often asked a question to other people at my work. I asked: How long would it take you to do your job, if you could go home after completing it? 9 times out of 10 the person says the job can be done in a few hours, versus 8 hours they are scheduled to do the job. The problem is always, that nobody wants to give up hours of pay, so they do things more inefficient or drag out the process with mundane work. If a boss sees someone out of work they assign more work. Generally this work is pointless and does not produce any valuable thing for anyone.

I agree 20 hour work weeks would be a good place to start. Couple this with mandatory funding for automation. The biggest hurdle to accomplishing a 20 hour work week is that the cost of living needs to come down significantly. This means food, housing, energy and medical care need to be next to free. These basic necessities are required to live for humans. If I had to chose I would say these necessities need to be ran not for profit by companies. Nobody should become rich off controlling the food supply.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Maybe the answer is to abolish this paper house of cards monetary system that's bunk and do away with the banks after all, no funny money, no greedy bankers, trade labor for goods/barter= true happiness. Point blank!

[edit on 5-6-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

I asked: How long would it take you to do your job, if you could go home after completing it? 9 times out of 10 the person says the job can be done in a few hours, versus 8 hours they are scheduled to do the job.

The problem is always, that nobody wants to give up hours of pay, so they do things more inefficient or drag out the process with mundane work.

Exactly my point.

Everyone is working a redundant plan designed by someone over 70 years ago.

Work has just become a tradition, much like Christmas or Easter is a tradition. Most people have no clue what the tradition even means anymore.

We need a new tradition.

We need the 20 hour work week and zero taxes.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I agree a 20 hr work week would be better for us all. My God, I am so burnt out by the end of the day, week, month, that I hardly have energy left to do anything of real value. Often I wonder what I can do to change things but I'm too exhausted to do anything past thinking.

And I have considered more than once the possibility that the TPTB planned it that way....work for them 40 hours (or more) and no one will have the wherewithall to stand up to them. We're just too damned tired.
I'm wasting my life away working for the Great White Satan (Wellpoint) and I'm afraid to leave because I may not be able to find another job and I need to be able to support my family and .........eat.

But every day I not only worry that the company I work for is undermining my country's economy (they our MAJOR outsourcing to the Phillipines) but also the info I am gathering is going to be used against the people I am supposed to be trying to help.

Anyways, I know I got off topic a little bit, but the point is that if you are working for 40 hours a week and getting paid s h i t...who has the energy to revolt? And who is reaping the benefits of my labor? Cuz I sure as hell am not.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
OP here is a group pushing for this same concept brought to you by NEF think-tank. They have been doing research in this area. Check out their facts sheet.

neweconomics.org...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Maybe the answer is to abolish this paper house of cards monetary system that's bunk and do away with the banks after all, no funny money, no greedy bankers, trade labor for goods/barter= true happiness.

Something needs to happen.

We can't continue down this endless road anymore.

It ends at a cliff.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
A 20-hour work week would be nice. Everyone still employed could split their job with an unemployed person (or in some case even two unemployed people)!

back in the day, when i was a freshman in college, this new-fangled contraption contraption called the computer was going to improve the quality of our lives and by the time we hit the workforce the 40 hour/5 day work week would be a 32 hour/4 day work week.

Man, this prof couldn't have been more wrong. There are salaried employees in the U.S. who now work 1.5 to 2 jobs and 55-65 hours a week to make up the slack of the "offshored" and "laid off." And can they complain? Nope. Not if they want to avoid the attention of the hatchet people. Not without the unions Reagan started killing. Not without a boatload of people here on work visas doing the jobs Americans "aren't qualified to do" *cough BS.*

As for these new-fangled gadgets? Yeah now we can work even when we're not at work...computers at home, texts, alerts, calls even at our kids' games. Instead of freeing us, they've enslaved us even further. Ain't technology grand?

A 20-hour work week? Dream on. Then again, real reform always starts with a dream...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Agreed, people are targeting their Goverment but who can blame them for accepting what is offered?

People need to unite against the "money men", Rothchilds etc..

They have looted the world...
We should take it back...I'm guessing the poor outnumber the filthy rich...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby

I agree a 20 hr work week would be better for us all. My God, I am so burnt out by the end of the day, week, month, that I hardly have energy left to do anything of real value. Often I wonder what I can do to change things but I'm too exhausted to do anything past thinking.

It might be the way to retake control over our country.

People would have more free time to get involved in volunteer work, government, spend time with thier children and pursue hobbies.

I would think single mothers would be all over this 20 hr work week concept.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join