It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your insidious pop-under ad. Malware? Spyware?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Sir, upon opening an ATS headline, your heinous pop-under ad appears even after I have logged in,.

www.nyguardian.com...
appeared even though I have ad blocking incorporated into my web application.

Upon clicking the close button to get rid of this annoyance, your web site presented me with the following inflamatory challenge:

"Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

Wait!

Before you leave, please take a look at this limited time offer. Remember, this is a FREE trial.

Why miss the chance to Earn Cash from home?

Click cancel to Get Your Free Trial

Press OK to continue, or Cancel to stay on the current "

Sir, the fact that I block ads is an obvious indication that I don't wish to be annoyed by them, and I'm damn sure not going to send them any money. Your nyguardian website breeches my well-intended efforts to block all nefarious popups and popunders. May I respectfully suggest that your board of directors and employee staff spend several hours a day experiencing your insidious pop-under ads. You and your staff should be the ones to send them money, not those of us who clearly don't wish to be annoyed.

Is your nyguardian pop-under ad placing malware/spyware or viruses/trojan horses onto my computer?

You have a good website, but your nyguardian pop-under ad campaign is both unprofessional and childish.

Respectfully

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
You're right. Since this site is powered by pixie dust and has no overhead due to all moderators being robots, let us all block the ads and bitch about it when they get through.

Or, stop blocking ads and make legitimate complaints known in a more civil manner.

To add my own complaint regarding this subject -
I do not block ads, but once in a while I get a notice about one of your ads trying to attack my system. I highly suggest that you guys cut that crap out. I honor your wishes and do not block ads. Honor your users by moderating the ads far more scrupulously than the forums themselves.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Or, stop blocking ads and make legitimate complaints known in a more civil manner.

Thank you, Mr. Dasher, for determining that my complaint is uncivilized.

So be it.

To clarify. Webmaster, I attempt to block pop-up and pop-under ads because they are annoying, distracting, unprofessional and extremely childish.

On the other hand, I will and do click static ads that are part of the face of a web page in order to support a website, particularly if the webmaster asks. If the ad is static and unobtrusive, I'll go ahead and click it in order to trigger the revenue-support needed by the webmaster.

If the ad is in my face, attempts to dominate my computer screen, as the nyguardian ad campaign attempts to, I have to click twice or more to get rid of it,

To clarify further.

I respect and honor a webmaster's need to pay for the website, and I willingly click civilized ads (even though I won't buy their product) to trigger the revenue for the webmaster.

I disrespect ad campaigns that present childish pop-up and pop-under screens that I have to deal with (and meet their demands to get rid of) in order to continue using the webmaster's website.

You determined that my complaint is uncivilized. Pop-up and pop-under and malware producing ads are uncivilized, and should be regarded as such, You have every right to disagree, if course.

Pop-up blockers are provided for a reason; webmasters need to realize that there are more civilized ways of portraying an ad that he wishes the user click on (eg. static ads displayed on the face of the web page).

If you or the webmaster require further explanation or proof, I can set up a camera and record the unprofessional behavior of the nyguardian pop-under ad campaign, I can also provide a list of professional websites that successfully get the job done without the need for pop-up or pop-under ads.

The developer of the nyguardian pop-under ad has gone to additional trouble to breech a web-brower's pop-up blocker. How hard is this to explain? Clicking the pop-up blocker means "I won't buy products sold by annoying advertisers." The pop-up/under developer arrogantly breeches the popup blocker in order to harass the website viewer anyway - it's pure un-civilized arrogance on the part of the ad developer and the webmaster who allows such insidious behavior to continue.

The nyguardian pop-under is on my screen right now. So far, I'm able to block his malware and spyware. The developer of this ad can go straight to hell.

Therefore, I am uncivilized.

Respectfully,
Adonsa

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Adonsa

Not sure what you mean about these pop under adverts ?

Are you talking about inline divs that take over the main screen and make you click close or something because i have not seen any here and like you i would not accept them. Can you post a screen shot so i can see please.

I am well aware of normal ifreame adverts on this site and leave my blocker turned off whilst viewing the content so that ATS gets the revenue to keep it running and i can see if we are being sent out to servers hosted on private IP addresses as has happened in the past.

This site i think is not too over done with adverts and it is a price worth paying to me so each to their own.

Ie8 has some good private sufing stuff that can detect add servers and then allows you to block them or you can download ban lists in XML form from the internet and it seems to be very effective but is not any good at blocking private IP's so it seems MS has been force to help now everyone is aware of blocking spyware.

Windows 7 also offers some tools that allow you to view internet connections and network activity but you can be sure MS has back doors all over the place so it's well worth getting yourself a copy of fiddler.

Edit to add

just did a google and the first link that came up for 'nyguardian pop-under' was this thread
and i now know what Adonsa is talking about and agree we should not have these type of adverts on the site and this should be reported to Bill who hopefully will deal with it.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by LieBuster]

[edit on 5-6-2010 by LieBuster]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Hey Adonsa, there is an easy solution to this.

Get to BRONZE :content contributor ASAP, then you'll get NO ADDS at all!!!

for info, pls refer to SO's thread HERE. While this doesn't address your concerns directly, it's probably the simplest way to do it!!

All the best, Kiwifoot

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Use Firefox and no script.
You still sometimes get those annoying boxes that give you an option to either buy something or buy something and wont let you leave.
But I hardly ever get them.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
G'Day Captain Caveman,

I indirectly took your advice and tried several web browsers. Unfortunately, Safari is vulnerable to nyguardian and the publishers clearing house malwares provided on this ATS website. I haven't tried Firefox yet; however I did find 2 browsers that do an elegant job of blocking the nyguardian malware, one of which allows me to ip-block the nyguardian ip address.

I prefer not to name those 2 browsers here for the same reason poker players don't show their hands.

The current browser I found totally blocks all ads and leaves white spaces where the ads belong. So, when I use this in order to avoid the nyguardian malware, I'm also unable to click on reputable ads in support of the ATS website.

The need to block malware trumps my desire to do good things for ATS.

Disabling java/_javascript blocks the nyguardian-malware, but disabling and re-enabling java/_javascript is as much or more trouble than "obeying" nyguardian.

The preferred fix for all this would be for the ATS staff to put a stop to all pop-up and pop-under ads. Given that's unlikely, then blocking offending ips at the router/switch level probably becomes the best option.

For what it's worth, I have no Microsoft products on my machine.

Many thanks, Captain Caveman for your reply
Cheers
Adonsa

new topics

top topics

join