It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military hit by the bad economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
With the sucky economy, we are all having to tighten our belts in order to just get by, it's just the reality of our situation today.

Government agencies have been largely protected from this reality. I guess that's one of the advantages of being able to print your own money. Apparently though, someone realized that monetizing the debt could possibly have some negative consequences (hyper-inflation can be such a pain in the but).

Somebody has to feel the pinch of the new economy, so who should it be? Those overpaid,unionized government employees? Nah, their unions paid for your congressmen.

Hey, I know, let's take the money from the military. It's not like they're doing anything important.

Defense Department to Economize to Fund War

Reuters news reported that the Obama administration's core national defense budget request for fiscal 2011 was $548.9 billion, but that does not include the costs of fighting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, estimated to increase up 1.8 percent from the current year.

The New York Times on June 3 summarized the cuts ordered by Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates as follows: During fiscal year 2012, the departments of the Army, Air Force, and Navy — which includes the Marine Corps — must each reduce expenditures by $2 billion, with the remainder of the Defense Department to reduce spending by $1 billion. By 2016, each branch department must reduce spending by $10 billion, with $7 billion in cuts for the rest of the Defense Department.

“You are not going to be able to do it just on pure efficiencies,” Secretary Lynn said. “You are going to have to eliminate lower-priority programs. You are going to have to find headquarters that you don’t think you need. You are going to have to find staffs that you think you can cut.”

The Times reported that the Defense Secretary has set a deadline of July 31 for receiving data from underlings on which programs and personnel can be cut, along with a description of savings in management practices to be included in the Defense budget proposal for the next fiscal year, 2012. Two-thirds of the ordered savings must be an actual money transfer from noncombat accounts to the war-fighting budget, while one-third can be found in running operations more efficiently, eliminating redundant operations, and overhead.

Read more: The New American

Hey, I got a wild idea for saving money for the Defence Department:

Get outta all of those stupid wars, bring our troops home and stop picking fights with other countries!

Heck, with an idea like that, it would save trillions.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Hey, I got a wild idea for saving money for the Defence Department: Get outta all of those stupid wars, bring our troops home and stop picking fights with other countries! Heck, with an idea like that, it would save trillions.

I couldn't agree more. Bring them home and get them out of the 135 countries they are stationed in. That is the one good thing about the economic melt down. Soon they will have to bring them home because we just can't afford to keep charging it on the credit card.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
You guys are missing the entire #ing point!!!!

They are DISMANTELLING OUR MILITARY and giving Israel $2 BILLION!!!!

Israels military is INCREASING and ours is DECREASING!!!

This is EXACTLY how they took out the soviet union. They are literally DESTROYING our country. we have to start our own banks NOW the revolution must happen NOW or we and our country is GONE.....

WAKE THE # UP, TELL EVERYONE YOU #ING KNOW!!!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Of course they are dismantelling our government, Obama and his administration don't care about the United States. All they care about is helping other countries and letting us go down the tube. This budget request is another way for him to get into the good graces with other countries who don't give a crap about us. I really hate this man.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by adamo21
You guys are missing the entire #ing point!!!!

They are DISMANTELLING OUR MILITARY and giving Israel $2 BILLION!!!!

Israels military is INCREASING and ours is DECREASING!!!

This is EXACTLY how they took out the soviet union. They are literally DESTROYING our country. we have to start our own banks NOW the revolution must happen NOW or we and our country is GONE.....

WAKE THE # UP, TELL EVERYONE YOU #ING KNOW!!!!!

Not missing the point at all the military is not the heart of our country. The people are and the militia is the lawful military. Let them dismantle the corporate military industrial empire its time for it to go and bring the troops home!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
while of the rest of the world arms we disarm
while the rest of the world build nukes we destroy nukes
while the liberals are more interested in saving the planet than saving the country.

we are screwed and noone bought us dinner first.

the us military defense complex needs massive reformation.

primarily how bout stop wasting billions of dollars on projects only to cancel them.

how bout the defense companies actually design build and test systems WITH THEIR OWN MONEY. then if its a usable system do we even think bout buying them.- guess thats too much common sense.

screw the beaucracy the special interests and other blahs. how bout remember if there is no usa their is no them.

i would double the defense and intel budgets without them there also is no us

[edit on 5-6-2010 by neo96]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i would double the defense and intel budgets without them there also is no us

I doubt money is a problem for them. They have vast black budgets that are classified. Hell the Army commander in Afghanistan said they are allowing the locals to grow opium so they don't get radicalized and go back to the taliban side. I wonder who is buying that opium ?

new topics

top topics

join