It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer shown the door at SE Portland cafe

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dizzychicken73
Well to put it the way it really is, good cops just aren't good news.

Here's another good link to the story:

I am curious just what you consider a "good" cop. Is that a cop who does what he is supposed to or a cop that goes above and beyond?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
does the owner/manager not have the freedom to reserve the right to refuse business? i know i do.

anybody notice the giant red & black flag flying out front? thats an anarcho-communist flag. the place screams far left from the sidewalk. the sandwich board sign was even an anarchist/communist flag. no wonder they don't like cops in there!

was the manager or cop just trying to be a sh*t disturber? or does the cop really have no clue that anarchists prefer not to take their tea in the company of authority figures?

could any citizen on the wrong side of the blue line walk into a cop bar and expect to be treated like a guest?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by gravykraken
does the owner/manager not have the freedom to reserve the right to refuse business? i know i do.

anybody notice the giant red & black flag flying out front? thats an anarcho-communist flag. the place screams far left from the sidewalk. the sandwich board sign was even an anarchist/communist flag. no wonder they don't like cops in there!

was the manager or cop just trying to be a sh*t disturber? or does the cop really have no clue that anarchists prefer not to take their tea in the company of authority figures?

could any citizen on the wrong side of the blue line walk into a cop bar and expect to be treated like a guest?

In the light as you suggest I guess he was doing his duty as per the customers he wants to maintain. We all agree he has the right, but I just hope he is willing to live with any repercussions his convictions might create.

I'm kind of interested now so one day when it stops raining I think I'll visit that area to see what kind of neighborhood it is like.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Just to be clear, when you say "repercussions", does it not occur to you that the fact that there will be repercussions is the entire point here? This man is either coerced into liking people he just doesn't like (whether he is right or wrong), or standing up for himself and having those people (who his tax dollars support) retaliate.

A "rock and a hard place" decision is not freedom. It is not liberty. It is tyranny. It is the whole problem here. You either cooperate and comply, or you get targeted.

There being "repercussions" is not freedom, and it proves that cooperation is coerced via threat, be it implied or not.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
KJ: Both, you have cops that just want to do their shift and go home and are happy that nothing happened on their shift, and then you have those that are very good at what they do and take truly bad people off the streets, or pull the families out of burning houses. Either is there for the public and have no desire or interest in harassing John Q. Public for the hell of it.

Bigfatfurrytexan: I have to ask, where do you see anything about repercussions? Is there a part of this story I missed or is this just an assumption on your part?

I am reminded every day I work about Us vs. Them mentalities and to be perfectly honest, most of it comes from the public. I keep hearing the phrase "You guys" did this or "You guys" wronged me. Sorry, but I've never met you before, deal with me as a human and you will find you get treated the same. When an officer comes up on a scene to HELP someone and the first thing we get is verbally berated just how much do you really think we want to help at that point? But the majority of us do anyways because as it was pointed out, it's our job. I have never walked up to John Q. Public and referred to him as "you guys" and start ranting about driving drunk and killing people. Or how "they" cook meth in the same room their baby sleeps in.

I am a member of THE MAN club for some of the more paranoid amongst us, but I assure you I am just a man, nothing more nothing less. MOST cops are not the boogie men the extreme left would like you to believe. MOST cops just want to do their job, protect the people and go home to their families at the end of the day.

Are there bad cops out there damn right there are, but there are also mail carriers who hoard years worth of peoples mail in their garage because they were too lazy to deliver it. There are also grocery stores that purposely put the price tag over the expiration date to hide an out of date product. Do these acts make every mail carrier or grocery store owner a part of some grand conspiracy or are they just a few examples that stand out as bad amongst hundred of thousand of otherwise hard working honest people?

If you wish to continue to believe we are all trolls under a bridge waiting for the innocent to come along and pick on them like school yard bullies so be it. I'll just go sit in my corner with my tin foil hat all by myself and allow you to do so. That is your right as an American citizen, and part of my job is to see to it you get to maintain those rights, even if I don't like whatever garbage is coming out of yours or someone else's mouth, and believe me I have heard much worse than a little cop bashing come out of peoples mouths.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

KJ: Both, you have cops that just want to do their shift and go home and are happy that nothing happened on their shift, and then you have those that are very good at what they do and take truly bad people off the streets, or pull the families out of burning houses. Either is there for the public and have no desire or interest in harassing John Q. Public for the hell of it.

So you are saying a good cop is one that does what he signed up to get paid to do? I thought maybe that was just a cop. It seems to me that you have a pretty low standard for police when in order to be good at what you do, all you have to do is actually do it.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I set the same standard as would any employer be it private or Government. A good employee is one that shows up and does the job they were hired to do. A bad employee will deviate from the standard S.O.P's of any job in any sector.

Not low standards, just the standards that an average person would reasonably expect when given the outline of duties of the job.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
Personally, if I were that officer I'd get word out on the street that that cafe's property is no longer under protection of the police, and as long as no innocents are harmed, it is a 'free zone'.

Yep, that about sums up why people don't care that this officer got "offended" -Scratch that, he was.. quote "Embarrassed" aww,
. No one wants to deal with someone that holds a mindset akin to the one you just listed. They don't even want to have to look at him in a coffee shop, that's how fed up some people get with this crap.

If a cop thinks he has the right to "not protect people who don't respect me", then he might as well realize everyone that looks at him can smell that sort of arrogance a mile away, and he might as well realize that people would rather not look at his arrogant face while they're trying to relax and drink their coffee.

Oh I know, the audacity of these disrespectful people, how dare they prefer not to be in the company of ignorant thugs.

I really liked the end of the video, where it was stated that.. "He's not only a cop, he's a human being." Sigh. He's a human being man, a Human Being! Say no to segregation! The suffering is immense!

Rest assured, the regular customers at that cafe will be continually harassed for the time being, as the patrols will "spend a little more time" in that area, making sure that they get tickets and so forth. Standard operating procedure for most areas. Which is why he was probably asked to leave in the first place, because the manager and most likely the regular customers, have put up with this behavior before, and just wanted him out.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Bigfatfurrytexan: I have to ask, where do you see anything about repercussions? Is there a part of this story I missed or is this just an assumption on your part?

It was a reply to a post. Please reference xtrozero's post above mine.

It isn't just me making that assumption here, though.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Point given BFT, you are not the only one making this assumption, but an assumption it is none the less.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I set the same standard as would any employer be it private or Government. A good employee is one that shows up and does the job they were hired to do. A bad employee will deviate from the standard S.O.P's of any job in any sector.

So the only thing I have to do to be good, is just not be bad? That is really kind of sad.

Not low standards, just the standards that an average person would reasonably expect when given the outline of duties of the job.

No, those are low standards. If you ask for a job and are then paid the agreed upon fee to perform said job, you are average. At least where I come from, in order to be good you have to be better than average. It seems to be you think average is apparently doing slightly less than expected. You are the type of person that expects praise for showing up on time, right?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Dizzychicken73

Well, and if this were solely a discussion around ethics, discrimination, and prejudice, the fact that it is an assumption would make it all but laughable.

But we are discussing this based on life experience, and point of view. This brings into play the concept of "risk mitigation". In risk mitigation, assumption is sometimes all you have to go on as it allows prevention.

In my life i have known 2 cops that i thought were doing good work, and were good people. 1 quit and now works as a SSA clerk. The other has left the job several times over the years because of disillusionment with corruption.

FWIW, the first one quit because he felt he was being asked to enforce stupid laws, which targeted youth minorities.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

I think you misunderstand. And it is actually worse.

It isn't "good" as in "exceptional". It is "good" as in "not corrupt".

The measure isn't job performance. The bar is far lower than that. It is about whether or not they are corrupt, or fit to serve.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Original Post made me VERY angry.

Not the content of it, but because I can't figure out which side of this I'm on.

My mind went three directions at once.

1. It's the shop manager's right to kick out anyone he wants. It's America. Good on him.

2. The cop didn't seem to have done anything wrong, the manager was just being a prick to a cop because he could. Add to that the cop now can't do anything TO the manager (Parking ticket, speeding ticket, etc...) because after such an incident, that could be considered harassment and the jury might just be the 'stick it to the man' kinda folk. Either way, win or lose, the Department really doesn't need the negative publicity.

3. If a cop's on the beat, he has his specific patrol area. Taking the time to get to know the citizens you're working for has it's advantages. If they TRUST you, they're more likely to cooperate with you. If you KNOW the business and how it operates, you're more attuned to the normality and can sense something out of place fairly quickly. Police Intuition.

Just because he wears a uniform doesn't mean he has the right to go in there. He has that right so long as the owner/management allow it. If it were me, I'd be giving that cop the coffee and making damn sure it was the best cup I could brew. However, the management reserves the right to make any idiotic decision they like. If the manager wasn't fired, he was probably acting on the behalf of the owner. In which case, what he did took solid brass and should be given a raise just for the loyalty factor.

"I don't feel safe with you here, I'd like you to leave." - Manager

Either the guy had an armed gunman in the back with hostages and the cop didn't catch on (Which we can rule out due to a lack of news on THAT...), or the Portland PD has a bad reputation with the Manager. In that situation, Portland has some Public Relations issues they need to address, and QUICKLY.

My head is going to explode. WHICH SIDE OF THIS AM I ON?!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
Personally, if I were that officer I'd get word out on the street that that cafe's property is no longer under protection of the police, and as long as no innocents are harmed, it is a 'free zone'.

That might happen, but I rather doubt that they would do that. Certainly, the uniformed police might choose not to drop in from time to time as a show of support and I wouldn't blame them.

However, what I would suspect is that since the manager has stated on video that his customers are made uncomfortable by the mere presence of uniformed officers, the police department will happy to send some undercover officers to pay periodic visits to see just what really goes on there.

These guys are really good at what they do and are perfectly capable of blending into any setting they so desire.

[edit on 2010/6/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Are you kidding me?

What the hell is wrong with you?

This is why that cop was asked to leave. It's because of this behavior, that you represent. They operate a cafe on the corner, out in the open. They're not pedaling drugs, I can assure you.

"They're really good at spying on people out in the open." What a pile of crap.

Maybe, just maybe, people are sick and tired of WHAT YOU JUST POSTED, and that he was basically told to get the hell out, because of THAT.

MAN, this crap gets me so angry.

He was refused a cup of coffee. The end of the world in this God forsaken police state, apparently.

They are made "uncomfortable" by their presence because of the anxiety of being in a Police State. My word. People get beat half to death by out of control cops, get framed, get maximum sentences for petty crimes. Get harassed for NOTHING, while real criminals roam the streets.. get it? Such as, oh I don't know.. SENDING UNDERCOVER COPS to a place that "refused coffee".

Un.. freaking.. real.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

i'm not saying it is a sound business decision, but the shop could potentially lose a lot more of it's regular business by not being selective in this case.

when you cater to an exclusive clientele, well it means just that. they like things a certain way and to offend their delicate sensibilities is likewise bad for business. anarchos are definitely sensitive to the presence of the po-po.

theres no such thing as bad publicity. everyone's gonna run down & get a cuppa joe just to see what all the hubbub is about.

of course now the coffee shop will probably fall under the scrutiny of the local PD, and more, since it has drawn their attention. is this what you meant by repercussions? because i think many anarchos kinda wish the cops would pick a fight with them. and it kinda looks they have.

honestly this cop looks bright enough to know whats going on. who knows? maybe hes a rookie and this was some sort of FNG joke gone bad. that'd be great.

BUT... let us keep in mind that police and anarchos are known to provoke one another. what with anarchists throwing and breaking things, and cops pretending to be anarchists throwing and breaking things...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX

He was refused a cup of coffee. The end of the world in this God forsaken police state, apparently.

Undercover cops drink coffee, too.

In what police state do you reside?

This incident happened in the US, which is not a police state, so if you are speaking of the US, I might ask you the same two questions you opened your last post with.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by SyphonX

Undercover cops drink coffee, too.

In what police state do you reside?

This incident happened in the US, which is not a police state, so if you are speaking of the US, I might ask you the same two questions you opened your last post with.

you must not recognise what a police state is, portland and surrounding metro area is rapidly becomeing more police controled, serveing and protecting was never intended to mean controlling.

i see it every time i walk around portland or beaverton, new cameras being installed everywhere, police questioning and searching random people on the streets for no reason but to suit their own curiosity, who are you serving or protecting when you start sticking your nose in anothers business when they are minding their own? they are then only serving their department by looking for fines and tickets to write as their department demands through quotas, that is not serving the people. that is simply a police state.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
i also hear it all the time because i own a radio scanner and i listen in on their radio transmissions whenever im in town, i have heard the police following poeple for miles waiting for them to do something wrong all the while laughing to each other over the radio making jokes to each other about the person their following among other imature topics, its amazing to hear the police blowing hrs following people like this and often not pulling them over at all in the end, theyll call it off after so long, longest i heard was 5 hours, because the man had bought tomato growing supplies from a gardening shop, well the cops nicknamed the guy smokeymcbongwater and followed him all day but let him go when he didnt give them a reason to stop him.

THIS IS WRONG, i hear many examples every day of these cops oversteping their bounds and having no care for it cause they know we arent doing anything about it, this store owner seems to feel the same way so i dont blame him for kicking the cop out. if you seem to think your area has a good cop majority go buy yourself a radio scanner and listen in day to day you may be surprised.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join