It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer shown the door at SE Portland cafe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

Actually, good policing necessitates GETTING OUT of that cruiser and station / precinct house. It necessitates BEING SEEN by and SEEING - and SPEAKING to the residents and business owners/operators/workers.

It is a piss poor police officer who only drives around waiting to respond to a call.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I understand the managers decision...

He said his customers don't feel safe with an officer around, I don't blame them considering the Portland police issues.

The recent shootings are just the tip of the iceberg. I wouldn't feel safe around a Portland police officer myself...or any officer for that matter.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I think I'll go beat up the shop owner and then he might realize who is the bad guy and who is the good guy...nothing like a steep learning curve....

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I have some perspective on this situation in that I own a restaurant in an area that we can classify as a diverse small city as well as a popular vacation destination. The other relevant piece of information that I will provide about the area is that law enforcement has, over the years, had somewhat of a spotty reputation at best.

My establishment is something of a locals favorite, and my clientele range from elderly people on fixed incomes to extremely affluent professionals. They also span the spectrum of color, creed, orientation, and background. Some of the local law enforcement officers as well as judges regularly dine in...sometimes in full uniform, and sometimes while off-duty.

The fact of the matter is these officers of the law are great customers and even better people. Many of my other patrons have commented numerous times that they embrace the idea of frequenting a place where law officers are regularly present.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Geeky_Bubbe

Perhaps it's because I am not really thinking of a huge city scenario. I can see your argument from that point of view. Here in Podunk USA there are officers that sit in the same diner 1/2 their shift everyday while getting paid. Maybe it's just that I wish a business owner here would do that for once.

I still feel that there's more to this story than what is being told. I don't see the owner asking this officer to leave without just cause. Maybe he was loitering for an extended amount of time. Maybe he had been trolling that one place of business day after day. Who knows.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
Yeah, I can understand how a cop in a coffee shop could make all the queers, muggers, escaped felons, thieves, and illegal immigrants nervous.

Better throw out the cop, it might be bad for business in totally perverted corrupt America.

Well, all the queers, muggers, escaped felons, thieves, and illegal immigrants that were not kicked out must have been BUYING SOMETHING. Yep, putting Americans to work, contributing to our taxes.

Tell me something, how often to the police treat you nice when you bill them for coffee? Sorry but after working in a coffee house for years, I think I would go with the paying customers as well if the "expecting free coffee" police are scaring off my PAYING customers.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Police officers have no more right to be in a private establishment than you or I. The business owners have the right to refuse and remove anyone they wish.

Your comparison quotation is so far out of context it hurts. Remember that it was secret police and other authorities that came for the communists, Jews and many, many others.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Police officers have no more right to be in a private establishment than you or I. The business owners have the right to refuse and remove anyone they wish.

Your comparison quotation is so far out of context it hurts. Remember that it was secret police and other authorities that came for the communists, Jews and many, many others.

Ok... so give me a good reason why he should be told to leave? Was he causing trouble, did he not have shoes or a shirt on, was he unwashed? No he wasn't any of that..he was just a guy doing his job and wanted to eat or drink.

Yep, the police are the bad guys.... geez give me a break...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Ok... so give me a good reason why he should be told to leave?

The OWNER of the PRIVATE BUSINESS wanted him to leave.

Free enterprise!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Fair enough.

So the cop tells his buddies back at the precinct that the owner of the "Greasy Spoon Diner" does not like police officers very much.
And they may become a little curious and start to wonder why that is.
They may even take more of an interest in the regular comings and goings of patrons of that illustrious establishment.

Next time there is a riot or an armed holdup at the Greasy Spoon Diner, the cops may not be in too much of a hurry to intervene.

Ain't human nature a fascinating thing.

[edit on 5/6/2010 by Silver Shadow]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This doesn't suprise me,the people in oregon have a arrogance,why I have no idea,if you are from Calif,be ready to be berated like"don't californicate Oregon" or we can't be giving all of our gas to Californians,goofy bunch,must be all the rain

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Fair enough.

So the cop tells his buddies back at the precinct that the owner of the "Greasy Spoon Diner" does not like police officers very much.
And they may become a little curious and start to wonder why that is.
They may even take more of an interest in the regular comings and goings of patrons of that illustrious establishment.

Next time there is a riot or an armed holdup at the Greasy Spoon Diner, the cops may not be in too much of a hurry to intervene.

Ain't human nature a fascinating thing.

[edit on 5/6/2010 by Silver Shadow]

SO, your opinion of cops is so low that you really believe that they will ILLEGALLY refuse to protect a business because the owner uses his LEGAL authority to decide who he serves? I share that with you...I also do not believe that the cops will do the right thing, and I too believe that they could possibly violate the law and the rules because of a perceived issue.

Cops today are NOT like they used to be. They see us as the enemy, and we should see them as such also. You as well as many others, believe that the cops will use hurt feelings to ignore their duties and get payback against those who do not shower them with praise and ignore their illegalities and bow down and worship them. Cops want a YES SIR! and a NO MA'AM from all you minions out there, and if you show any attitude, they will make sure you know who the BOSS is!!

Maybe if the cop with the hurt feelings goes back and tells all his pals, they will just stay away and not bother the people there who DO NOT WANT THEM there...instead of conspiring to neglect their sworn duties.
Maybe they will NOT intimidate, watch and harrass the people there. That would be wasting taxpayer money just to get back at a legal owner.

See what happens? Use your legal authority to kick a cop out and the people assume that the cops will get payback...most people know the cops are awful, even the ones supporting them. Cop lovers and groupies simply think it is OK to neglect duties, waste time and ruin peoples dinners...they never have had a bad experience with a cop...yet....and so they side with the oppressers.

The owner has every right to get rid of anyone he does not like, and cops are for sure a magnet for all others....cops are notoriously cheap, tip awfully, and always expect a FREE FEED or drink because of their exalted status!! Bunch of bums.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
What a load of biased garbage.

In my town, cops come and go into our coffee shops all the time. All of our cops are relatively good people and I've hung out with them several times. If they want to stop by our big super "liberal hippy dippy" coffee shop, they do and no one cares. They usually stop in to grab a quick snack, pound a coffee and head back out after some friendly chit chat with the locals.

I guess people in my smaller community have just realized the cops are people too.

I mean hell, the Mayors favorite place for food is a small family owned diner that is primarily known as the hangout for drunks and partiers after hours and curing hangovers in the morning and afternoon. He shows up most days for their breakfast as tradition and so do other members of the local government stop in throughout the day. Lawyers and drunks co-mingling freely and no one gives a damn because we're all people.

People have this odd love of drawing distinctions, usually against any form of authority or supposed power, but if the same thing happened to them, they would break down and cry injustice and probably raise a ruckus.

Tom Normal gets told to leave a coffee shop? It's an injustice! Find out more on the 5 o'clock news!
A cop or city government member gets the boot? FACIST PIGS DESERVE IT! ONLY I AM RIGHT AS I REPRESENT THE "LITTLE PEOPLE".

These completely biased attitudes are childish to say the least.

Oh,and another thing, if the Cops want in for information gathering, they'll go plainclothes. So I doubt it was for some nefarious reason.
-
To the people who don't care if the Cop got his 'feelings hurt'; they are human too, and wouldn't you be upset if you just wanted to chill and you were kicked out of a place for what you were wearing?
-

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
an example of portlanders trying to be politicaly active in daily life, there have been some suspicious police shootings in portland lately and im pretty certain thats what spurred this opinion in the shop owner, and he has every damn right for having this opinion, he did everything proper the only argument here is if he shoulda shut his mouth and let the officer remain despite how he felt, well this is only our opinion versus his, its his business so he wins, he has the right to make this decision and none of us do, so stfu and get your nose out of the manner in which another man runs his business,

heres another for ya, i was in a bar on june 3rd during the rose festival here in portland oregon, there were sailors in there also, (navy ships had docked 3 blocks away) and the live band kept mentioning their opinions of the military at one point saying that sailors are the best example of a government patsy and repeating many times that sailors should leave and arent welcome in the bar, i of course felt this was unfair to any well meaning service members just wanting a drink, then more sailors walked in bumbing into people in the aggresive manner that gang bangers often do, ok so a bad apple in the bunch, then a different sailor starts hitting on my friends GF, he is a well spoken ought to be diplomat, after he persuades the sailor to back off, a fight ensued, of course to my dissapointment first push AND punch thrown by the sailor, at this point pack mentality kicks in and every sailor in the bar joins in, this pack mentality which was so clear in their reaction explains to me why no sailors were welcome in that bar, bad apple spoiling the bunch indeed,

to finish the fight scene my friend got a succesful sleeper hold round the guys necks and threated to break his neck if anyone came near him as the three of us backed out the bar, fight still going between the sailors and unsuspecting bar customers. all in less then ten minutes, cops were already on scene before we were off the block, i guess they were expecting it or something.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Interesting read. That really sucks.

You know though, that tends to happens when groups are gathered of any amount of people though. If they were calling them patsies that probably didn't help matters any either.

Not saying the Navy guys weren't in the wrong, anyone who throws the first punch usually is and acting out of line is not cool, but just pointing out any group has the possibility of going like this.

The same aggression and pack mentality could have come from any large group in a different setting.
-
I think some, not all, over react due to the less than warm welcome they receive at a lot of places. Not saying that applied in your case, just an opinion in a general.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by SweetRevenge

If they want to stop by our big super "liberal hippy dippy" coffee shop, they do and no one cares.

Lawyers and drunks co-mingling freely and no one gives a damn because we're all people.

but dont people have a RIGHT to care?!

dont people have a RIGHT to give a damn?! if they so choose,

People have this odd love of drawing distinctions, usually against any form of authority or supposed power, but if the same thing happened to them, they would break down and cry injustice and probably raise a ruckus.

you are drawing a distinction saying that. and no they dont raise a ruckus when this occurs against a civilian, and it occurs very often, in fact the only reason you heard about this at all is BECAUSE it is a cop,

Tom Normal gets told to leave a coffee shop? It's an injustice! Find out more on the 5 o'clock news!
A cop or city government member gets the boot? FACIST PIGS DESERVE IT! ONLY I AM RIGHT AS I REPRESENT THE "LITTLE PEOPLE".

These completely biased attitudes are childish to say the least.

To the people who don't care if the Cop got his 'feelings hurt'; they are human too, and wouldn't you be upset if you just wanted to chill and you were kicked out of a place for what you were wearing?

this separation is all in your head, yes id be upset if i was forced out for no reason i know from experience as do many i know, and NO we DID NOT make the news! only the cops do, thats your bias right there!!

your an idiot to think business's dont already treat civilians like this all the time, im glad to see someone had the balls to turn it on the cops to, i may not agree with their opinion and reason for doing so, but damn do i agree with their RIGHT to do so!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

No, this is what happens when Glenn Beck makes and ATS account.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm not saying that cops are the bad guys, I'm saying that the quote was historically out of context and inaccurate.

Secondly, It does not matter what the officer did and didn't do. Most coffee shops and bars have a sign that says "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason". Was it right? To polite society perhaps not. That is not my point.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Because he was asked to by the owner who in American has the right to refuse service to ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The manager didn't want the cop to be scaring away PAYING customers.

Maybe he could come back later during moocher's hours? When it is a little less busy.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by slank]

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join