It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer shown the door at SE Portland cafe

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I though the other customers didn't want him in there because of recent police brutality?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
But if we say every business owner can do business with whomever they want and not the rest think what it would be like in the USA! I am on vacation walk up to a cafe and go in and get kicked out because the owner doesn't like redheads.

Nope. There are already laws that prevent that from happenings. Now if you are a state paid redhead, on official duty funded by tax dollars at the time, that is different.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Originally posted by Char-Lee
But if we say every business owner can do business with whomever they want and not the rest think what it would be like in the USA! I am on vacation walk up to a cafe and go in and get kicked out because the owner doesn't like redheads.

Nope. There are already laws that prevent that from happenings. Now if you are a state paid redhead, on official duty funded by tax dollars at the time, that is different.

There are NO laws that prevent that. Read the civil rights act and the law.

Unless a business owner says that he is refusing service for reasons of RACE, RELIGION or national origin he can do as he pleases. If a buisness owner hates redheads, he can legally ban them from his business. If he does not like people with tattoos' he can forbid them as well...anything except race or religion is a valid refusal.

If I own a business that is open to the public and not private, I can discriminate on a lot of bases, and all are legal. Long hair or appearance or types of clothing are all legit reason to deny service. Owners have the right to serve anyone they please, as long as race is not a factor, or religion. All the owner has to prove is that he discriminate equally...in other words, he cannot tell one redhead to leave while allowing other redheads to stay...unless of course conduct is an iuuse, then all bets are off.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
They need to place that coffee shop under 24/7/365 surveillance, seems to be a breeding ground for terrorists/liberals. I would do a background check on who runs those things..what in the world is going on ...I hope someone calls in a robbery and then they decide to call 911 or a fire happens and they do the same..yep...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
They need to place that coffee shop under 24/7/365 surveillance, seems to be a breeding ground for terrorists/liberals. I would do a background check on who runs those things..what in the world is going on ...I hope someone calls in a robbery and then they decide to call 911 or a fire happens and they do the same..yep...

Thats funny!! " ...breeding ground for liberals." As if having intelligence and a sense of social justice makes one eligible for a petry dish and some heat!! Amazing..

And, you have so little regard for the cops that you think they would violate the law and their rules by ignoring violations against the owner...you may be right, but that says that the cops are unprofessional and willing to watch crimes be committed merely to get ' payback' for some real or imagined slight against one of their pals.

I wonder what the breeding ground for ' right wing conservatives' is?

Maybe watching only Fox news and listening to ( Oxycontin ) Rush L. limits the ability to discern reality in a mneaningful way....?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

Point's simple enough. Don't group people together.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

Personally, I have no problem with this. Cops drive away business. The closest gas station to my house is where cops gather at night to have meetings. For that reason, I drive the extra 2 miles to the next station, rather than risk getting hassled (an no I am not a criminal).

I would not feel comfortable hanging out at a coffee shop while a cop was there. The owner was right to ask him to leave.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Police officers have no more right to be in a private establishment than you or I. The business owners have the right to refuse and remove anyone they wish.

Your comparison quotation is so far out of context it hurts. Remember that it was secret police and other authorities that came for the communists, Jews and many, many others.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by projectvxn]

Actually the cops have authority to enter any business, during business hours, to ensure all required permits are legally posted & valid.. and all relevant codes are being followed... like checking for H&S violations, adulterated syrups etc..

Other than that, it's ok to refuse service to the police.. although it tends to invite being "paper f***ed" by the gendarme.. parking tickets, extra code enforcement visits, chickenpoop cites to staff / customers.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu

Originally posted by projectvxn
Police officers have no more right to be in a private establishment than you or I. The business owners have the right to refuse and remove anyone they wish.

Your comparison quotation is so far out of context it hurts. Remember that it was secret police and other authorities that came for the communists, Jews and many, many others.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by projectvxn]

Actually the cops have authority to enter any business, during business hours, to ensure all required permits are legally posted & valid.. and all relevant codes are being followed... like checking for H&S violations, adulterated syrups etc..

Other than that, it's ok to refuse service to the police.. although it tends to invite being "paper f***ed" by the gendarme.. parking tickets, extra code enforcement visits, chickenpoop cites to staff / customers.

WRONG!! Police are NOT code enforcement people and unless there is reasonable grounds to believe a crime is being committed cops can be kept out.

Code and licensing are NOT the duties a cop performs. fire marshals can visit and liquor agents can visit IF they servwe alcohol...but cops CANNOT walk into any business and linger using regulations as an excuse.

I would never want cops hanging around any business of mine...they are notoriously cheap and stingy, terrible tippers, and in uniform they make many people nervous because of their propensity for violating rights.

So next time do not make blanket statements that are wrong....cops are NOT able to enter and linger in a business using licences as an excuse...they are agencies for that and only criminal issues are for cops.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

its amazing to hear the police blowing hrs following people like this and often not pulling them over at all in the end, theyll call it off after so long, longest i heard was 5 hours,

We won't ask about your ability to waste 5 continuous hours listening to a police scanner. But where are you? No cop in any city of any size can afford to spend 5 hours following anyone, unless they are on undercover assignment. Normal calls always interfere. And not too many people spend 5 hours driving around buying tomatoes.

You must live in East Podunk, Brackish Water, Arkansas, yes?

Who spends 5 hrs buying tomato supplies?

I'm calling BS on this one...

sorry i didnt see your questions when you posted them 2 months ago, though delayed i'll still answer them.

to answer the implied yet unasked question, i listen to my scanner almost every day all day, i have one in my car to.
and i am in portland oregon, very large city with a very large police force, and i was under the impresion that the particular example i used was one of officers undercover though i couldnt be sure.

and i didnt say he spent 5 hrs buying tomato supplies, what i said was he had bought those supplies and then afterwards he left the store and the police followed him around in their vehicles the rest the day.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by richierich
And, you have so little regard for the cops that you think they would violate the law and their rules by ignoring violations against the owner...you may be right, but that says that the cops are unprofessional and willing to watch crimes be committed merely to get ' payback' for some real or imagined slight against one of their pals.

It's common sense and human nature. Ever heard the phrase "Dont piss off somebody who handles your food?". Well that same concept can be applied here. "Dont piss of somebody who is going to pull your ass out of the fire when you cry for help. And especially when that same person can park your ass for violating the law."

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One

It's common sense and human nature. Ever heard the phrase "Dont piss off somebody who handles your food?". Well that same concept can be applied here. "Dont piss of somebody who is going to pull your ass out of the fire when you cry for help. And especially when that same person can park your ass for violating the law."

that would be an abuse of power, what your saying is the cops are bad and should be treated well.

see the cops are supposed to help anyone and everyone with the same amount of ability and will, wether its their best friend or someone who harasses them all day long and protests against them personaly, it doesnt matter because its our freedom to do these things,

you are trying to say that the cop will reflexivly treat someone different based on whether he likes them or not, and that is bias, that is grounds for being fired. even though it is true and very difficult for any normal person to resist such emotions cops are told they are supposed to,

you are saying they should be allowed to.

same with what you said about dont piss off someone who handles your food,

its for this reason some people will eat a cold bloody steak at a restaurant without complaining even though they ordered it burnt and hot. and then pay over price and tip. its because they are afraid to mess with the one who handles their food,

when it is their right to tell the waiter "please cook this a bit more" some people are too afraid that the waiter or cook will be upset and break the law by contaminating their food,

and your saying you support this rationel?

like was said it is the shop owners right to refuse service to whoever he wants, just as it is a customers right to ask for his food to be heated warmer or cooked more thoroughly,

i am not saying anyone should be rude in either case, and no one was, the debate in this thread is whether they should have these rights,

[edit on 29-8-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by pryingopen3rdeye
see the cops are supposed to help anyone and everyone with the same amount of ability and will, whether its their best friend or someone who harasses them all day long and protests against them personally, it doesn't matter because its our freedom to do these things,
[edit on 29-8-2010 by pryingopen3rdeye]

Yes they are. There are laws in place that say so. But there's a way around EVERY SINGLE law out there if you know what you're doing when it comes to how you can exploit it.

And if cops are 'bad' it's because it's a reaction to the way they're not appreciated for what they do. Because more than half the time? People they deal with are back-stabbers. I would know. I work around cops. I talk to them all the time.

Now as much as I don't like what the cafe-owner did? Did he have a right to do what he did? Yes. But for every action there is a reaction.

If I was that cop and I saved the man's cafe from getting robbed or whatever. He'd either come and shake my hand and/or offer me free coffee as a token of gratitude. (I guarantee you. He would do one or the other if not both.) Me personally? What I'd do (depending on what kinda mood I'd be in at the time) is refuse to shake his hand followed by tossing the coffee away in the nearest trash bin. Because it'd be my freedom to do so as an expression of my dissatisfaction with the service I was provided.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One

Officer shown the door at SE Portland cafe

www.cnn.com

A Portland police officer says he's embarrassed after a manager kicked him out of his coffee shop. KGW reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

COP GETS KICKED OUT OF COFFEE SHOP FOR BEING A COP

revolutionarypolitics.tv...

Now, imagine that this happened EVERYWHERE! TSA, IRS, other 'enforcers' and government officials, as well.

Don't get me wrong here!

The ONLY people who would be OSTRACIZED by US would be DISHONEST cops and BOGUS TSA, IRS thugs who use THEIR "NEW WORLD ORDER" FORCE on honest men and women.

REFUSE TO COOPERATE WITH THEIR DISHONEST LAWS -- BOGUS LAWS ENFORCED BY THUGS WITH GUNS -- EVIL LAWS AND DISHONEST ACTIONS TO HARM YOU, KILL YOU AND STEAL YOUR MONEY!!

OSTRACIZE these THUGS and their families NOW! STOP serving them in shops and BLANK them in the street!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by neotech1neothink

Even better, treat people like you should treat people: each according to his/her own merit.

I don't know many "good" cops, but I know one or two.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join