It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing Job Ads: 'The Unemployed Will Not Be Considered'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

what if your prospective new boss actualy DID once work for the defunct firm you claim to have worked for ???

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by Jessicamsa

The sad reality is that a gap in employment sends up a red flag...and there is nothing illegal about it. They are kind of dumb for advertising it that way...but still not illegal.

A gap in employment can mean a couple things.

1) You got fired

2) You quit your job without another job lined up...aka...you left in a hurry.

It just makes it look bad to potential employers. And instead of this company trying to figure out why someone may have a gap...it is easier...and cheaper for them to just consider someone who has no gap.

There are all kinds of explanations, not just the 2 above.
In my case it was a business closure.
I call for a boycott of any company who does this.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

I feel you man
But 15 years is alot
I'm more than positive that there were at the very least telemarketing jobs available
Those guys will hire anyone and I firmly believe that

I'm not saying you didn't try or were picky
but it is hard to believe though i'm sorry

I'm not saying it's impossible though

However from my perspective consider IT as very different

I admit I may be wrong and you may be right though

When I lived in VA, I worked for a summer at Kroger at 16. I quit there rather than quit high school, although looking back I think it would have been better to quit high school and work at Kroger. Too late now.

I was involved in a forced relationship with my now legally ex-husband. I lived upstairs from his sister and he worked for the government. He said I was his girlfriend and that was it. I even told him I didn't want to be more than friends. I ended up marrying him to stop the sin because he kept having relations on me even though I kept trying to talk him into stopping.

He was majorly abusive. I ended up escaping from him. I finally got employment for a few days at different places. He would show up harassing me and I would be fired. Then no one wanted to hire me since it was a small town and people heard about it. I ended up finding out that I was pregnant. I stupidly thought that since it had been rape that he would not have legal rights to the baby. The court ordered me to remain in his area. I was trapped legally in an area with no jobs. I went on welfare.

Years later the court finally granted the divorce and removed the restraint against my moving. I moved to KY. By then I had been 7 years without employment. All the jobs not only frowned at that, but they would only hire me if I could work nights and weekends. I had no one to watch my child. The daycares were only open M-F 6:30am-6pm. Looking back I regret even moving to KY and wish I had moved elsewhere, but my dad was saying how there were lots of jobs out here and that he would help me. Soon after I got out here my money was gone and my dad was trying to get me to give my daughter up for adoption. My family, with the exception of my mom and grandparents on her side, had wanted me to abort her from the beginning. My daughter is bi-racial and they did not want that in the family.

After my daughter was old enough for me to work nights and weekends without my needing a babysitter, I was hired at Wal-mart. I no longer have a job at Wal-mart. I lost the first job there at the one store. Then I worked 3 temp jobs after that. Now they've blackballed me for working too many temp jobs for them, which they never disclosed could happen to me prior to hiring me, and have been saying lots of nasty things about me to places calling for a reference. If I don't put them as a reference then I will have been 18 yrs without a job. But whatever they have been saying causes managers at other places to show me the door. And the last one was personal because one of the managers was a relative of my ex-boyfriend who I broke it off with. And this is a small town and my ex-bf was nearly the mayor a few years ago, so my breaking up with him did not go well at all.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by Totalstranger

what if your prospective new boss actualy DID once work for the defunct firm you claim to have worked for ???

It's probably best to do that after you've moved to a town far away.

But I have considered doing it before. Only thing is that I don't recall when they went under, so I dunno what dates to put down. A lot of the went under though around here.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Everyone loves to say with enough effort, you can go anywhere in this country. Well I guess you can only be successful if you are successful

[edit on 4-6-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
There is about to be a big shift on how things are done in this world. You might call it the next phase of evolution in spiritual maturity. The ones at the top realize that by keeping you in the Big me Little you selfish self centered role of operating is beginning to cause problems for them as well.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

There's a very old saying that goes like this:

Nothing succeeds like success.

The job market is tough right now and furthermore it is an employers' market.

They can have their pick of the best and no employer is going to pass up that opportunity.

The tables will turn, I assure you.

[edit on 2010/6/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
To those of you that work HR, or do the recruiting/hiring it's understandable that you have to look at the financial aspect of hiring new workers, but shouldn't you also look at the human aspect ?

You look at a resume, or application and see one, or several gaps in someone's employment and ASSUME that the person is a job hopper, or unemployed due to some fault of their own which is not always the case.

Now looking at the human aspect, the gap could be due to a severe illness, it could be due to family needs, a return to school to further an education, their job being outsourced, any number of things. If you didn't file these applications in the bottom of the pile, or the garbage and instead gave them the chance to at least interview and explain the gap you might find some really good workers.

About twenty years ago when I was the store manager for a small outlet store the hiring of cashiers was one of my responsibilities. I had two women come in and apply for a position, one's resumes was very good the other one not so good, and she had a couple of gaps . During the interview I liked something about the one with the poor resume and hired her. She turned out to be one of my best workers, always on time, never missed a day, hard worker, great with the customers,and I never had reason to regret hiring her. The one with the good resume, and no gaps between jobs, not so good, I had to let her go.

Another thing to consider is that some of the workers with no gaps are smart enough to find another job before they are fired. This way they don't have it on their record and they have no gaps.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Living in northeast Wisconsin (which was, before the time shift, located south west of Australia), I can honestly say that this is a common practice. (what's Wisconsin got to do with this? most of the businesses in this area have moved away)

The more you collect unemployment, the more unsuited you are.

I have had interviews turn sour due to the number of times I've been unemployed; seemingly, no one bothers to read the section of the applications that explains why you left a place of business.

Since 1990, ever since being in the service, I have had the following happen to me:

1. Decommissioned BOTH ships I was attached to; yep, the Navy started this trend.

2. First civilian job held, staying with one company, closed due to bankruptcy.

3. Second place sold out, restructured, massive layoffs. The buying company decided it was better to relocate the company... no call backs.

4. Third place went belly up.

5. Fourth place had a contract buy-out. The new business decided to go with their personnel instead of using people already there.

6. Fifth place opened a new department, to test the market. Test failed, people were let go because there wasn't room in the company.

7. Sixth place got sued... closed up shop.

8. Seventh place had massive layoffs due to company restructuring.

So here I am, working at an eighth company... and it took me about nine months to get this job; an 18 hour a week job that I have to drive 55 miles to. I guess I can't complain, as I am working, but still... it's nuts.

For some reason, employers look as if you are a pile of steaming fecal matter when you ask for an additional "employment record" sheet, and then comment about the periods of unemployment. I have been to two interviews since starting this place, hoping for something with more hours, but they don't care for my history.

Likewise, with all the resumes I have sent, everything is good until they question my work ethics without first talking to me: with my follow-ups, I've been told more often-than-not that I do not have a stable history.

Damned if you do, I guess.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Companies openly discriminate against people with "criminal" backgrounds like marijuana charges. Why stop there?

Usually if you're unemployed, your skills are less sharp, you were let go because you were the weak out of the bunch and maybe you fall into that 10% that isn't the previous 2 I mentioned. Well then that just sucks!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I find a different notion to pop out at me when I think of this practice....

This isn't about keeping the unemployed in a prolonged state of unemployment, it's not about people who don't "deserve" to work, it's not classism in action, it's not even about people....

This is about being able to say you've 'created' jobs without having to do so.

Meanwhile business are running at peak efficiency with a diminished core of workers who are afraid to look elsewhere.

But then, it's just a notion..

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

This might be another good time to send a copy of this article to your representative.

That's a great idea

We should do one better, I think we should all send a copy of this article to the POTUS

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
This is good timing... Well.. today I lost my job of almost 4 years. but you know what.. I don't even care anymore about being successful.. It was ridiculous job that sucked the life out of me for four years. I gotta say I am excited I do not have to go back to that place...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

The sad reality is that a gap in employment sends up a red flag...and there is nothing illegal about it. They are kind of dumb for advertising it that way...but still not illegal.

1) You got fired

It just makes it look bad to potential employers. And instead of this company trying to figure out why someone may have a gap...it is easier...and cheaper for them to just consider someone who has no gap.

3. YOu are not a good slave.

4. You like being off.

5. You are not desperate enough.

This almost makes communism look good.
Just wait till the Hipocalypse and you are making 50 cents an hour ATSers.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

1) You got fired

They are not only dumb for "advertising it that way," they are dumb for doing it. Downright ignorant in fact. There is absolutely no logic in assuming that an applicant with "gaps" is somehow defective.

There are far, far more reasons for gaps in employment, many of which have been mentioned (outsourcing, companies closing) and some which have not, such as sabbaticals, leaves of absences for continuing education, gaps taken by men and women to spend time raising children or taking care of ailing relatives, taking time off to pursue other ventures and recharge, and so on.

That potential employers view someone with a gap as less tenable than someone with a job, who is more likely disgruntled, unhappy, disloyal, or prone to job hop and leave the employer hanging is ludicrous to me.

And that potential employers and their HR departments correlate gaps with negativity and treat them as defective is a defect in itself.

Illegal? Maybe not. Illogical? Oh yeah.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

That is truly disgusting... They should be taken to court for discrimination.

I am currently out of work and have been searching for a job myself... it is very demoralising

Why? They are a private company, they can do whatever they like. I know being unemployed is demoralizing, but that doesn't mean we should force firms to hire people.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Well I have lurked on ATS for a long time and just decided to respond to this post because I have been a hiring manager for many years and have literally hired or highly influenced(i.e. the persons working below me hired and I gave final approval) hundreds of people.

I can tell you that even in the best economy you get hundreds of applicants for a job and only have the very shortest of time to browse the resume before deciding who gets called in. In this economy there are sooooo many applicants that any! little thing is grounds to throw the resume in the trash abd without a doubt a gap in employment is a big reason the next biggest is frequent job hopping along with living to far from the job, etc.

I usually can't decide to hire a candidate quickly but I have often decided not to hire a candidate in the first minute or two and then just try to make the interview as quick as possible while still being polite.

I don't blame the company at all for putting the obvious criteria in the ad it saves some poor soul like me from looking thru hundreds of extra resumes. The general consensous is if thier not working there is a reason, if they where "one of the good ones" the company would have found a place for them or kept them instead of someone else. I know this is throwing the good out with the bad because it is not always the case but why take the chance when there are so many to choose from.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Look, folks, you gotta be creative. During times when you are not employed by a corporation or employable entity, you are SELF employed. You did what you had to to pay bills, borrowed money, worked odd jobs, the labor pool, sold things that'd you'd spent YEARS aquiring. Right there is something awesome for you to put on your resume:

Self-Employed 2007-2008 - General Contractor and Salesman DESCRIPTION: Provided for economic growth and personal upward mobility by liquidizing minimal assets.

If you have the brains, you can beat the system every damn time by playing it's own rules against it. All you need is a thesaurus and a little verbal ingenuity and you can make yourself sound like the your prospective employer would be lucky to have you.

Still, this sucks.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This type of discrimination is going on in the professional world now. It is basically saying if your are in then you get the job. If you are new or just lost your job, then don't call us we will call you type attitude. This world is a joke and needs an overhaul.

capitalism the new slave market of the 20th century.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Also with so many people out of work and needing a job, they know that desperate people will do desperate things. They may say that they are experienced or stretch the truth etc.. So by getting someone who is still at a job, they know more than a person who's been out of work for months that this person 9 out of 10 won't lie about their experience to get a job.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join