It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli commando who shot six passengers in aid convoy in line for medal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Israeli commando who shot six passengers in aid convoy in line for medal

www.timesonline.co.uk

Six of the nine passengers killed in an Israeli raid on an aid convoy bound for Gaza were shot by a single Israeli commando, who is being considered for a medal of valour for saving his injured comrades as passengers attacked them with clubs, knives and even guns they had taken from downed Navy Seals.

he had been the last of 15 soldiers to rappel down the rope from an overhead helicopter on to the decks of the ship, which he described as “a battlefield”.

Taking charge, he formed his men
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Men with clubs and chairs and knives against trained IDF soldiers with automatic weapons is a battlefied!

“When I hit the deck, I was immediately attacked by people with bats, metal pipes and axes,” the sergeant recalled. “These were without a doubt terrorists. I could see the murderous rage in their eyes and that they were coming to kill us.”

Okay, i'll give this one to him
They were in fact without a doubt terroists as he factually saw the murderous rage in their eyes.
Cased closed on that one!!!

His accusation that his assailants were mercenaries was based on the large amounts of cash found on a number of the detained and killed passengers, although other officials have suggested the money was destined to be given to Hamas in Gaza if the convoy succeeded in breaking the Israeli naval blockade.

This is understandable
I mean even when Blackwater agents invaded Iraq i'm sure they brought all of the money in that they were being paid with them. I mean it only makes sense.

It is great that this IDF soldier will be getting a metal for killing a bunch of unarmed activists.

What a great world we live in!!!

www.timesonline.co.uk

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Not unusual at all. Medals are given out all the time.

As much as the majority of people, within this site, just love Israel and the peaceful people of Jewish faith, he was just doing his job. I sure his citation will reflect the courage and fortitude he used in his action.

That citation would make for some interesting reading.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Israeli or not. Truth or not. If I was being hit with pipes and axes, and happen to have a gun in my hands...

Yeah, there wouldn't be anyone with a pipe left standing. I wasn't there, so I don't know what really happened, just playing devil's advocate here.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
It is great that this IDF soldier will be getting a metal for killing a bunch of unarmed activists.

Well, they were armed with pipes, axes, etc. I don't call that "unarmed".

"..and even guns taken from downed Navy Seals."

Hmmmm....don't think any SEALs were in on that action.

And as I said in another thread about this; keep this in mind. The IDF saw the crowds gathered, waiting for the commandos to fast rope to the deck. They could have cleared the deck of those people with a minigun. They didn't. That shows restraint.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
what did the pirates expect when they raided a ship at night? hugs and kisses?

israeli pirates didnt want to talk, they wanted to scare but the activists were more prepared than the IDF thought.

israeli soldiers get medals all the time, because when they kill innocent people they're always in doubt if it was wrong or right, but they're given medals to make them think its right and an act of bravery.

US soldiers commit suicide every other day because they cant live with what they see or done in iraq/afghansitan. IDF soldiers are used to it, and they think its good because they get a worthless piece of metal*!!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I'm a little surprised at some of the replies

Are you guys saying it was justified for him to shoot at activists on a ship that they illegally invaded in international waters where they have ZERO jurisdiction????

Seriouslyyyy?????

What else would you expect in such a situation?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Men with clubs and chairs and knives against trained IDF soldiers with automatic weapons is a battlefied!

His accusation that his assailants were mercenaries was based on the large amounts of cash found on a number of the detained and killed passengers, although other officials have suggested the money was destined to be given to Hamas in Gaza if the convoy succeeded in breaking the Israeli naval blockade.

This is understandable
I mean even when Blackwater agents invaded Iraq i'm sure they brought all of the money in that they were being paid with them. I mean it only makes sense.

What a great world we live in!!!

www.timesonline.co.uk

how do you start off listing the weapons of the people who were partofthe flotilla and end with a tirade against killing unarmed activists? You also left out how the activists were wearing ceramic body armor and that the primary weapon of the IDF were paintball guns. Don't get me wrong...I completely abhor the tactics of Israel's government when it comes to the Palestinians. With that said, keep in mind that Israel has a mandatory 2 year military service for all citizens, its not a volunteer force like ours somost ofthese soldiers have little other choice. And finally, he's not getting the medal for killing "innocent" activists, he's getting the award for how he handled the situation once he was on deck. He followed his training and set up a perimeter to protect his injured comrades and dealt with the threat at hand. From my experience in the 10th mountain division good for him. Focus on the people giving the orders not the dogs who follow them.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by peter vlar
....and that the primary weapon of the IDF were paintball guns.

Actually, I think they were "pepperball" guns, not paintball. I heard IDF has used them in the past.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
They were definately armed, and anyone who has ever been at the receiving end of a metal pipe will know that it is possible to kill someone with the correct blow. I don't agree with Israel boarding the ship, but I also don't agree with the way these "peaceful" protestors handled the unflux of soldiers. There was a need to protect other soldiers as soon as they hit the deck, and the only means they had were their guns. So be it if they get a service medal, it isn't going to make either side in the right.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

thanks for the clarification,my mistake.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
ongoing discussion here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Are you guys saying it was justified for him to shoot at activists on a ship that they illegally invaded in international waters where they have ZERO jurisdiction????

Seriouslyyyy?????

I expected more sophistication from you, buddy. I don't like Israeli policies a bit, but the soldier was given orders and found his comrades under attack. In a situation like this, you are not afforded the luxury to carefully weigh the metal rods and other object that are used, in all likelihood, to cause you bodily harm or death.

Again, I disapprove of Israel but don't bash the foot soldier. If I saw one of my buddies bleeding, I would open fire like there is no tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I'm sickened by this.

By the fact they try to turn evil into good. Israel is an orwellian state.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Seriouslyyyy?????

I expected more sophistication from you, buddy. I don't like Israeli policies a bit, but the soldier was given orders and found his comrades under attack. In a situation like this, you are not afforded the luxury to carefully weigh the metal rods and other object that are used, in all likelihood, to cause you bodily harm or death.

Again, I disapprove of Israel but don't bash the foot soldier. If I saw one of my buddies bleeding, I would open fire like there is no tomorrow.

You are wrong. They are supposed to be elites commandos. A proper commando squad would have handled this without killing anyone.

They are trained, it's their job. You can't imagine yourself in this situation because their are not civilian suddenly catapulted in the job. They were prepared.

How can you kill 6 people by mistake ? If he was trying to disable them he would probably have killed less.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I called it!!!!!

Oh well, you have to know that this is standard fare for how career politicians and their conjoined ideologies function.

I suppose only the mental gymnastics of hatred (or total disregard for life) can justify, or mollify, the ethical incongruity of the actions taken. To these people the ends justifies the means... which is always a danger to any who are near.

Yet I can't help but think....

I wouldn't fault any of the passengers for assuming that this adventure would cost their lives, but they had to know that this wasn't going to be without risk.

Certainly the people who engaged the soldiers, brave as that me be, must have been willing to risk the lives of all around them when they did. The morality of their position could avail them nothing in the heat of that moment.

While I would also have been indignant and at least verbally confrontational I can't think that it was a good idea to antagonize these guys... I mean they are know for their brutality... perhaps even notorious for it. I think I would have not been able to ignore the real possibility that someone not so 'righteously' motivated as myself could get hurt badly on my account. I suspect it would have stopped me. Not sure if that makes me a coward or not. But I guess it doesn't matter.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Irrespective of the legality of the actions on behalf of Israel - this man was just following orders.

If I were to drop into a situation in which my fellow soldiers were injured and death seemed like a possible outcome, I would have done the same.

If a mob were to attack your local police force with a pipes and clubs, disarming them and shooting at them - would you really expect them to not open fire?

Why would you expect anything less of a soldier?

No, I do not agree with what happened - be this soldier was not the decision maker.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by crisko
Irrespective of the legality of the actions on behalf of Israel - this man was just following orders.

If just following orders is not a crime however immoral it may be can you tell me why were Nazi soldiers prosecuted for following orders?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by YJLTG

Originally posted by crisko

If just following orders is not a crime however immoral it may be can you tell me why were Nazi soldiers prosecuted for following orders?

You have to admit; the idea of following orders begs the question.

But then, we're not in the middle of it.

Were you among the soldiers there, what would you do now? "Testify?"

new topics

top topics

join