It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Super Foods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to share this interesting article I came across the other day.
This may not seem well put together because I was halfway through my first thread and well laziness destroyed it.
Well, here is my second attempt hope you enjoy.

I will post the top 10 from CanadianLiving and elaborate on them using other sources. I will also list one which I think should be on their list.

1) Rhubarb

Championed for its phytochemical lindleyin, this nutritional all-star makes the cut for its potential role in relieving hot flashes in perimenopausal women. How the plant cools hot flashes is not exactly clear. Researchers have identified an extract in the root that may have estrogen-like properties. Need another reason to eat rhubarb? The plant is rich in potassium, vitamin C and dietary fibre.

That is pretty impressive! But there is some more I found while searching google.

A study has shown that rhubarb help patients with gastric cancer to recover after
operations. Patients in the study group were fed with rhubarb before operation, and at 1day and 2 days after operation.
Rhubarb positively modulated the acute inflammatory response, promoted the recovery of
postoperative gastrointestinal motility, and benefited enteral nutrition support in patients
who have undergone major operations for gastric cancer. [3]

However, some test-tubes studies showed that some rhubarb ingredients might have
mutagenic activities. But the clinical link between the use of rhubarb and the development
of gastric cancer was not clear. [4]

Zhion

2) Pumpkin Seeds - My favorite!

Phytosterols are also being studied for their potential role in prostate health. Each 1/4 cup (50 millilitre) serving of the seed provides a healthy dose of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and is a good source of minerals, including phosphorus, magnesium, zinc and iron, making it one of the most nutritious and flavourful seeds around.

I have always had a certain love for pumpkin seeds. For some reason everytime I ate it, it made me feel 'happy'. Than it made sense once I read this article:

Pumpkin seeds are one of nature's almost perfect foods. They are a natural source of beneficial constituents such as carbohydrates, amino acids and unsaturated fatty acids. They contain most of the B vitamins, along with C, D, E, and K. They also have the minerals calcium, potassium, and phosphorous. Pumpkin seeds have mainly been used to treat prostate and bladder problems, but they have also been known to help with depression and learning disabilities.

Because pumpkin seeds turned up so frequently in folk medicines, scientists began to conduct research on the oil extracted from them. One study showed pumpkin seed oil kept hormones from inflicting damage on the cells of the prostate, which helps to reduce cancer development. Another study revealed that the seeds contain a significant amount of L-tryptophan, which is beneficial in battling depression (although it is believed the seeds don’t have enough to treat major depression, they can be used as a preventive measure). Other studies showed pumpkin seeds can improve bladder and urethra function. And they are thought to help stop the formation of kidney stones, even though the ingredient responsible is unknown. Pumpkin seeds have also been used to treat learning disorders and are generally recommended in some countries as a ‘brain food.’ Other studies have shown they prevent hardening of the arteries and help regulate cholesterol levels.
LearningInfo

This next berry is what inspired me to research some super foods.

3) Goji Berries

I have looked around all the grocery stores in my town and none of them carry it. These berries are truly hard to find.

Gram for gram, goji berries pack more vitamin C than some oranges and more beta-carotene than carrots. Unfortunately, though, there isn't enough evidence yet to confirm the health claims, since we only have testimonials and animal studies to go by. And goji berries and goji juice are costly.

It is a fairly new find and they grow in the extreme weathers of the Himalayas. Since it is a new found fruit, studies are being done to see the benefits. But from what people are claiming:

- Many people claim that their gout attacks were prevented with just drinking an ounce of goji juice a day.

- Many people claim that goji berries helped them with their Type 2 Diabetes in maintaining their blood glucose level in just a month of taking an ounce daily.

- Many people claim that their skin improved; mostly their warts decreasing and their skin becomes softer and more supple.

- Many people claim that occurrence of their back pain becomes lesser even to those who underwent back surgery, who have to take pain relievers, and who have to see chiropractors. Most of them got 95% improvement in their condition in just three months of goji juice intake.

- Many people claim that goji berries juice have helped them in lowering their blood cholesterol and triglycerides in less than a year with at least two ounces a day.

- And some just claim that even their balding scalp was helped by goji juice. With a couple of ounces during the day and night, they noticed growing healthy hair on areas that needed it, which only happened in less than five months. According to some studies, goji berries also help to stimulate HGH (human growth hormone) that’s why everyone taking it feels rejuvenated and young.

There are so many wonderful stories to hear about goji berry juice — from stress to seizures, from bladder problems to cancers, and from weight loss to aging gracefully. Try it out for a month or so and experience for yourself the wonders these tiny fruits can give you.
BenefitsofGoji

Claiming isn't always hard evidence, but it provides the science community clues on where to begin researching. My personal take is that since it grows in extremely harsh climates so it should yield some benefit.

4) Cinnamon - Tastes wonderful on many treats!

Preliminary studies are investigating its role in lowering blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes, most likely due to the insulin-like effects of its polyphenols (natural substances found in plants). It's still too early to know if cinnamon can help curb blood sugars, but with studies suggesting its effects can be seen with a daily dose of just half a teaspoon (two millilitres), it's worth keeping this spice in mind when reaching into the spice cabinet.

Another article states the 10 health benefits that cinnamon carries.

1. Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol.

2. Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.

3. In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.

4. In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.

5. It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.

6. In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.

7. When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.

8. One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.

9. Researchers at Kansas State University found that cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.

10. It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium.
Health Diaries

5) Quinoa - Two days ago I never even heard of this food!

Regarded as a sacred food by the Incas, quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) provides a wide range of vitamins and minerals. This supergrain seed contains more protein than most cereal grains (22 grams per one cup/250 millilitres uncooked quinoa) and is considered a complete protein because it contains all eight of the essential amino acids we need for tissue development.

Quinoa is higher in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, copper, manganese, and zinc, and lower in sodium compared with wheat, barley and corn. This gluten-free grain also receives an honourable mention for being low in saturated fat (one gram of fat per one cup/250 millilitres uncooked quinoa).

Quinoa is cooked at eaten like rice, but it is a lot healthier for the body. Here is an amazing article on Quinoa Benefits

***********Continued Below***********

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Equinox99]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
*********Continued*************

6) Psyllium

Traditionally, psyllium is renowned as a laxative, since it absorbs water and swells as it moves through the digestive tract. But this all-star soluble fibre has many health benefits: lowering LDL, or "bad," cholesterol, helping control diabetes (it reduces the post-meal rise in blood sugar) and aiding in controlling appetite and weight (it makes you feel full longer). Since psyllium is a concentrated source of soluble fibre (with eight times more soluble fibre than oat bran), it's easy to eat enough of it during the day to enjoy its potential health benefits.

A good way to clear your system from anything that gets stuck along the digestive system!

7) Shallots

This vegetable deserves an award thanks to its active ingredient: fructo-oligosaccharides, a prebiotic that some researchers have chosen as the hottest in food and nutrition research. Prebiotics take centre stage for their potential to promote gut health by encouraging the growth and function of "good bacteria" that live in our digestive tract.

Emerging research is also revealing an important supporting role for flavonoids, antioxidants that are abundant in shallots. Preliminary research is investigating flavonoids for their preventive role in cancer and heart disease, but further research is still needed to support these potential benefits.

Similar to garlic but without the bad breath?

8) Milk Thistle

Best known as a liver tonic, the power ingredient in milk thistle is silymarin, which may have protective effects on the liver, due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Differences in research design -- variations in the type and extent of liver disease, and dose and duration of milk-thistle therapy -- make it difficult to draw definitive conclusions on the effectiveness of this herb.

I am sorry I don't comment but I am restless from being cooked up behind this pc!

One of the main benefits is its antioxidant ability, which is more potent than most vitamins. Antioxidants are able to remove toxic chemicals called free radicals from the body. These free radicals cause ceel damage which is the root of disease and premature aging.

Perhaps the most important milk thistle benefits are its effects on the liver. The liver is one of the most important organs in the body, breaking down nutrients and cleaning the body out. Milk thistle detoxifies the liver as well as protects it against damage from toxins, alcohol and other negative effects.

Milk thistle benefits the liver in other ways as well: it promotes regeneration and repair of liver cells, reverses liver damage and is very helpful in the treatment of hepatitis and cirrhosis.
Herbal Suppliments

9) Turmeric

Curcumin -- the active ingredient of the Indian curry spice turmeric -- may ease aches and inflammation. In Ayurveda (the traditional medicine of India), this herb has been used for thousands of years to treat arthritis and other ailments. Some research suggests that turmeric may help relieve some symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis; however, the evidence to date, while encouraging, is still far from conclusive.

I also dug up a recent ATS thread "Curry spice 'kills cancer cells'" by ModernAcademiaModernAcadamia which gets deeper into the details.

10) Borage Oil -

Borage oil, which is produced from the borage seed, has made the nutritional spotlight for its high content of gamma-linolenic acid -- an omega-6 essential fatty acid with anti-inflammatory properties. Evidence suggests that specialty formulas that contain borage oil may reduce inflammation of the lung in critically ill, hospitalized patients with respiratory distress.

Here is the original article.
Source for Top 10 Superfoods

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Thanks for the post. There is so much garbage on ATS that something that is actually useful is really appreciated...at least by me.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Honorable Mentions

Hemp Seeds - I purchased a bag of hemp seeds without the shells to try out. It had a very familiar taste, similar to walnuts.

(shelled hemp seed) is the only natural food that is concentrated with all of the required proteins and essential fats. It contains many vitamins and enzymes, and only small insignificant quantities of saturated fats and carbohydrates. Because hemp seed and hemp hearts is one of the best foods on the planet, everyone who consumes significant quantities of hemp hearts each morning will experience at least some of the many benefits described below.
Nahanni

I can certainly vouch for what this web-site says. I take 2 tablespoons of hemp seeds in the morning and it kickstarts your day. If you haven't tried it I recommend you at least try it out. I don't want to write the brand I use because I think it might be against the ATS rules?

But U2U me and I can tell you the product.

Second Honorable Mention

Açaí Berries - I have only heard good things about these berries. I tasted a drink recently which tasted pretty good but it was a mixture of berries. I am hesitant to put this because again, it is hit and miss with researchers. Some claim it is great and some claim the supplement is being exaggerated to market it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Yeah
nice change of pace..
the psillium grows all over in every ones yards here -
Plantain..
as a trail side nibble
with a couple of the red staghorn sumac berries from the droop for flavour...
WOW and filling too.
In a salad -all good

just the young leaves though the old ones are tough and stringy

care full with the ruebarb oxalic acid
stew with apples, a little sumac, and honey, or maple syrop, and cinnamon
PIE!
[edit on 4-6-2010 by Danbones]

[edit on 4-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Nice list! I'm wondering though, where's the Chlorella and Spirulina?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This was a great article. One that I would like to add to the list is seaweed. That stuff is really good for you too.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Artanis667

I would love to keep researching about foods but I got a little restless sitting too long behind my computer.

Maybe you could write about their benefits in here.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
A very good vitamin and mineral enriched food becoming popular is Nopales cactus. It is your typical prickly pear fruit cactus that can be purchased in grocery stores listed as Nopolitos ready to eat or cook with right from the jar.

A Texas university is trying to grow a variety without needles to make processing easier. For the diy folks, there are kitchen tools to clean and cut the raw cactus ready for eating.

Nopalitos reduces cholesterol as well as it is high in Vitamin C and minerals.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
In Brazil they serve acai in a cup at a snowcone/sorbet consistency with granola and banana slices on top and usually a drizzle of honey or molasses (or chocolate syrup which I don't care for).

Sometimes kids will wait for intercity buses at the bus station and they'll shout out "Oh ah-sah-ee ah-ee oh" which means they sell acai. You reach down out of the window with about 50 cents American and get a little cup of it. (of course, they do this with 100 other things, like coke, water, roasted peanuts,chips, etc.)

As far as its effects, I will say that it is satisfying the way they do it in Brasil, here though, it's always mixed with 30 other things and far more expensive than down there. It's loaded with protein and potassium, if I remember correctly.

Acai is good as far as flavor goes. However, there is a folk belief behind it which is that you could get chagas disease from consuming it. Chagas stays in your body and affects either your liver or kidneys (can't remember) years down the road, out of the blue.

When the pickers in the Amazon/Northeast of Brazil take the berries off the palm trees, they basically take their closed fists and run them down the stems that hold the berries.

Some Brazilians believe that the beetle that transmits chagas could be caught in the mix and mashed up in the acai pulp that gets frozen on site and transferred all over Brasil and internationally.

After five years of eating acai, I will say that I probably have 15 left til my organs fail...we'll see. haha.

I don't really think this holds water. Though it could be possible, I suppose. I don't remember getting a "bug" taste while eating it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Also, quinoa is hard to cook, in my opinion. I can't ever seem to do it write. I follow directions, and it never ends up as I've seen it in restaurants. Mine is always mushy, like when you put too much water in the rice pot.

Some other foods:

Chia seeds - full of protein (yes, as in Ch-ch-ch-cheeeah)

Brazil nuts - highest in selenium (for brain function) **Also highest in naturally occurring radioactivity (though not high enough for concern).

Molasses - high in iron

dandelion - not just a weed, DON'T spray round-up on it, eat it! Keep your money and screw Monsanto!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Cod Liver - It's a great source for Omega 3 and 6

Garlic -

Garlic's health benefits and medicinal properties have long been known (1). Garlic has long been considered a herbal "wonder drug", with a reputation in folklore for preventing everything from the common cold and flu to the Plague! It has been used extensively in herbal medicine (phytotherapy, sometimes spelt phitotherapy). Raw garlic is used by some to treat the symptoms of acne and there is some evidence that it can assist in managing high cholesterol levels. It can even be effective as a natural mosquito repellent.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
If you have never checked out this site then I recommend taking a look! IWHFoods.com

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Thanks, good post and an interesting read. Some of these I've read about before and some I haven't so I'll have to do more research. I'm always a little skeptical about wonder food claims because it seems like today's wonder food is tomorrow's toxin and vice-versa, depending on the source! But something like Rhubarb is probably pretty safe.

I want to research seeds most carefully. Don't apple seeds have arsenic in them? I wonder if other seeds have other defensive strategies

Yes, Apple Seeds and Cherry Pits are Poisonous

In fact, if you eat enough apple seeds or cherry pits, you could die. Apple seeds contain cyanogenic acids. Cherry pits, and seeds from related fruits, including peaches, plums, almonds, pears, and apricots, contain cyanogenic glycosides. Your body can detoxify small quantities of cyanide compounds. If you accidentally eat a cherry pit in a pie or swallow an apple seed or two, you'll be fine. Actually, if you swallow several seeds whole, you would absorb a minimal amount of the toxic compounds. Chewing the seeds makes them much more hazardous to your health.

So are we sure these other seeds don't contain cyanogenic glycosides? Or other toxins? Maybe not but it's worth investigating before you start eating mass quantities.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
that was an interesting read thanks for sharing

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Brilliant and loving thread

Just to add chilli thins the blood and is perhaps good as an alternative to aspirin for those concerned about strokes and heart attacks?
ATS needs more people like you .

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Brilliant! Cumin is a viable alternative to turmeric as well with similar benefits and effects. Good if you want to mix up the flavor some.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

join