It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Falcon 9 Rocket: Aborted once, now successful flight.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

The brand new commercial Falcon 9 rocket experienced an unexpected glitch just before liftoff during its first flight test Friday, stalling what was to be its maiden launch. The Falcon 9 rocket, built by private company Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX), was slated to blast off at 1:30 p.m. EDT (1530 GMT) from its seaside launch pad at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. An "out of limits start up parameter" caused the rocket to abort launch just before its planned liftoff, SpaceX commentator Robyn Ringuette said.

Space.com

I didn't even know they where going to launch a rocket today. I heard on the news that there was a problem, so I searched for news. It looks like they may "recycle" the count and try again. Today's window closes at 3PM EST. It opens again tomorrow at 11AM EST.

Here is the live webcast from Cape Canaveral.

Damego.com

ETA:

OK so it has had a successful launch. It is expected to reach a hight of 155 Miles.

What a historic day for privately funded space flight. For more info check out Spacex.com

Following a few hours delay and an aborted initial attempt, SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket, one of an emerging class of private rockets intended to take the U.S. space program into the 21st century, finally took to the skies. At 2:45 p.m. the two-stage booster rocket, which was initially scheduled for launch at 11 a.m. EDT (1500 GMT) from Florida's Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, blasted off into the skies.

Foxnews.com

PE.com
MSNBC.com

The msnbc story is the best I've found so far.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by sporkmonster]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am kinda bummed, that is a home town rocket for my area. YAY CENTRAL TEXAS!!

But they did collect a bunch of data so maybe they can fix the problem soon.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Thank you for the update! I've been looking forward to seeing how SpaceX and Orbital Sciences will get to space without the guidance of NASA. The privatization of space is exciting, especially if you want to be employed for the new space race. Hopefully, Falcon 9 gets off the ground soon.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
FYI : It just launched!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Thanks! I missed the liftoff typing, but I'm watching it now.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

I'm no rocket scientist but that looked like a pretty smooth successful launch !

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
FYI : It just launched!

I know, it's so exciting. I seen the countdown timer with a minute on it and decided to forgo posting that until after the launch. I didn't want to miss it. That was a great looking launch. I'll update my OP to reflect that it made it.
BTW that stage separation was nice looking as well.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
It is making me dizzy now.

Falcon 9 achieved Earth orbit in 9mins. I think that is really fast compared the shuttle, which I think took 12 mins to enter orbit.

*edit* nvm. Shuttle got there in 8 mins according to yahoo answers.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
What a great launch! I can't believe they had an (apparently) completely successful first launch for this one. Given the history of new rockets, I wouldn't have been too surprised to see this one fail. This is some great news for American Space Exploration, something that's been hard to come by lately. I'm really glad to have something wonderful like this happen in the midst of all the mess in the world right now!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MEAT10AF

I think we are use to rockets failing on their first flights because they are government designed and government operated. All hail the new space age!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sporkmonster

Well then they launched something. My entire condo was shaking. I went outside to look and it was still shaking and rumbling. It scared the crap out of me.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Well then they launched something. My entire condo was shaking. I went outside to look and it was still shaking and rumbling. It scared the crap out of me.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I'm a little surprised that as a local you were not told about it. Although, I don't know if shuttle launches are talked about on the local news to inform the public, prior to launch.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sporkmonster

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I'm a little surprised that as a local you were not told about it. Although, I don't know if shuttle launches are talked about on the local news to inform the public, prior to launch.

I can see the assembly building and launch area from my balcony on the 6th floor. It's a great view! I am sure it was on the local news but I haven't had it on in a couple days. I am too busy with school. Whenever there is a launch of something out there usually News13 covers it.

We usually know when something is going up. I haven't been at work either to talk to any of the guys I know who work out there. Usually they tell me what is going on. I was only there once this week, school is kicking my butt

I am kind of pissed I missed it. I like to record launches when I can. I recorded the shuttle launch and for some weird reason the video before when I tested the camera recorded and the video after the launch, but the launch itself did not record. I was so mad! I wanted to film Atlantis' last launch myself.

[edit on 6/4/2010 by mblahnikluver]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I missed it.. but very glad it had a good launch.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Falcon 9 reached orbit on it's first attempt!! Fantastic.

From what I've been reading it looks like the next test might be the last and the third will actually deliver cargo to ISS, making things happen just that much faster.

This is a great day for space exploration!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
OK, so here is an update of the Falcon 9.

SpaceX is aiming to test its Dragon spacecraft later this year on the second Falcon 9 flight, and carry cargo to the station on the third, most likely during the second quarter of next year, Musk said. NASA Administrator Charles Bolden told a Senate panel last month that he expects SpaceX to be able to fly its first manned mission in 2015. Musk said the company may be able to take astronauts to the station as early as 2013 if it receives a contract this year

BusinessWeek

Today's successful test launch likely means that the next time the rocket blasts off, it will head straight to the space station to practice delivering supplies. An actual docking and cargo delivery would probably take place on the Falcon 9's third flight, SpaceX has said.

Christian Science Monitor

cnet.com This is the best article I have read so far, about the whole Falcon 9 program including todays launch.

Politico.com
wired.com
nytimes.com

[edit on 5-6-2010 by sporkmonster]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I've got some major issues with the press coverage of this...

First is that almost every article I've read makes it sound like Obama is responsible for this. That's just flat out wrong. SpaceX has been working toward this for quite a while now, long before Obama was ever elected. NASA/USA have awarded SpaceX with a contract to deliver cargo to ISS long before Barak was ever in the white house. This has been the plan for years now and Obama has had nothing to do with it, but every article I read makes it sound like this was Obama's doing and we can all thank him directly.

The second is that lots of articles include quotes and opinions from naysayers like Neil Armstrong. They all talk about how this launch proves nothing other than the fact that private companys aren't ready to deliver cargo or humans into space, and that this proves that NASA needs to continue building space ships. This is the dumbest argument I've ever heard, and it keeps being repeated. SpaceX is infanantly closer to sending things into space than NASA is (considering the Space shuttle will be retired at the end of this year) Falcon 9 is a full scale full on vehicle that just went into orbit. Where is Ares at? No where, that's where. Ares isn't even remotly close to being a functional vehicle, but falcon 9 just proved it can get the job done. Why continue with Ares when it will take almost a decade or more to compleate? I know Neil Armstrong is a national hero, and he deserves respect, but come on... How can anyone look at the situation logicaly and deterimine that NASA is better prepared to get the job done than SpaceX?

[/rant]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I just have to express my dissapointment towards the ATS community on this. This is huge news. This is the true beginning of the space age. Years from now kids will be learning about this in their history classes. This is the foundation that all expansion into space will be based on. People like Robert Bigelow will finally have a way to send their stuff and their people into space. Without a private rocket we are at the whim of agencys like NASA. NASA is not there to make space accessable. With falcon 9 anyone with the cash will be able to send things into space.

This is a very big deal, and in all of ATS only 6 people are interested in this?

Maybe I should find a new forum.

jra

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This is indeed great news. I was expecting the worst, being the maiden flight and all. The Atlas rocket took something like 13 tries before it worked right and now it's one of the better rockets out there.

I'm really happy to see that the F9 worked almost perfectly. Apparently the chutes didn't open for the first stage and it slammed into the Atlantic, but I'm sure that will be easy to fix.

Looking forward to seeing further flights, especially with a fully functioning Dragon capsule, which should be going up on the next flight. And if all keeps going well, we could be seeing manned flights to the ISS by 2015 or so.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join