It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American, 19, Among Gaza Flotilla Dead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

American, 19, Among Gaza Flotilla Dead

abcnews.go.com

A U.S. citizen who lived in Turkey is among the nine people killed when Israeli commandos stormed a Turkish aid ship heading for the Gaza Strip, officials said today. The victim was identified as Furkan Dogan, 19, a Turkish-American. A forensic report said he was shot at close range, with four bullets in his head and one in his chest, according to the Anatolian news agency
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.youtube.com
www.huffingtonpost.com
rawstory.com
www.nowpublic.com

edited to use the exact title of the article

[edit on 4-6-2010 by gallopinghordes]

[edit on 4-6-2010 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Four shots in the head at "Close Range" and 1 in the chest? This is seems to me of an execution of this young US/Turkish Citizen. Are we so desensitized that we no longer question HOW this could happen with paintball guns and sidearm handguns. All my respect for the Israeli people, but the Israeli government needs to answer the worlds questions.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Just signed up now after years of reading the site. I am just outraged at Isreal's actions that I have to say something. 4 shots in the head and one in the chest and the IDF claim defense? My arse that's defense.

God speed the Irish and I hope Turkey doesn't back down, these zionist's need to be taken out of power, they give a terrible reputation for jews everywhere.( And no i'm not jewish)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The real shame, or more like an educational lesson, is that America will most likely do little to nothing. Regardless of if our citizens are in the right, we should defend them in any way possible. An investigative journalist "wanders" into North Korea, we send a former president. Now, an American citizen is murdered and do we unleash the full force of the USA military? Nope. It seems that a little collateral damage is acceptable to preserve our nationally funded creation (i.e. Israel).

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Simple. A Beretta 93R is full auto. A center of mass shot combined with the muzzle climb would do it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Is this issue being discussed on another posting? Only 3 replies??? If any other nation had shot an American citizen 5 times in international waters, the media war drums would be deafening. I am not attempting to be war mongering, but this is of the most dire of circumstances and needs to be brought to the attention of ALL. Bringing attention may force more disclosure of the true events on that fateful raid. Please, Watch the YouTube Video linked above from TheYoungTurks, research the available data and voice your view.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
My opinion of this is that she is an American citizen, therefore one of our own. I don't care if she moved to turkey when she was 2. She was born here and she is an American by birthright. I would figure Americans would defend their own. Not against Israel?

[edit on 4-6-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I am done, broken and disheartened! Even on ATS this has been buried. We should all be ashamed of ourselves. At what point does an American Citizen become an "also ran" with eight -insert your favorite Middle Eastern/Arab/Muslim nation here- nationalist. The following is a cut and paste of the last two lines from the latest related apnews.com news article:

"The youngest of the nine activists killed, Furkan Dogan, was to be buried Friday in his family's hometown in Kayseri in central Turkey.

Dogan, who was born in Troy, New York, moved to Turkey when he was two. The other eight activists were all Turkish nationals."

At least I can cut and paste a small bit of good news - from Wikipedia:

"2010: AP earnings fall 65% from 2008 to just $8.8 million. The AP also announced that it would have posted a loss of $4.4 million had it not liquidated its German language news service for $13.2 million."

AGAIN: We should all be ashamed of ourselves!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Oh, I am so sad that that brave young person lost his life.

This world needs brave people, and specially brave young people.

I mourn him, even though I didn't know him.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
All life is valuable.. Doesnt matter what nation, race, religion.. Any loss of a life is tragic.. Until people learn that the insanity will continue...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
So was this guy still paying taxes while living in turkey?

Hes brave for boarding a ship along with other terrorists?

He would have been brave if he brought a ship into the UN sanctioned port of call for Gaza supply route

He was an idiot.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The area in which this American was putting them self in is an area of ongoing aggression. Gaza is not a place known for its scenic beauty or umbrella drinks. Last I checked, the region is in the hands of a terrorist organization, locals live under terror 24-hours-a-day, and are currently experiencing a blockade by both Israel and Egypt.

I just wanted to show both sides of the coin, and Egypt's involvement in this blockade. Back to the the death of the American. The person must have been aware of the risks they were taking by embarking on this journey? This type of thing seems to be becoming quite common. It is horrible that people got killed on that vessel, but as I learn more about this ship, it seems to me those people on board were nothing more than cannon-fodder.

The casualties will be used to make political statements by groups not so sympathetic to Israel. Moreover, the video showed a crazed mob and not behavior one would associate with peace activists. The very purpose of that vessel before taking to sea was to break the naval blockade, and instigate international outrage against Israel when they responded. What a a geyser of an international outrage this this has become.

This ship was a weapon of provocation, not an aide ship. Perhaps, aide might of been the cover, but the way those people on that ship responded was like they were waiting for the Israeli Navy to respond. Now the Islamic leadership have plenty to talk about and much condemnation to spout about as they spoil themselves with unbridled power, lavishness, and an indoctrinated people at their disposal.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Not sure how anyone can say what happened on them ships till,or if Israel release all the evidence they confiscated.

But to me 4 shots to the head doesnt seem right and also, 5 out of the nine killed apparently were all headshots...

I asked if there were any soldiers or police online to tell me about arms training because I always thought they were trained to go for a body shot in confrontations like that, bigger target and all that...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

Thank you very much for posting this news. Mainstream media done a wonderful job to keep it low key.

4 shots to the victim's head were no mistake. It already proved that Israeli IDF servicemen had committed atrocious inhumane hate crime. Not the other way round. Because of this bold terrorism, it is totally rational that international people condemn Israel.

19-year-old Furkan Dogan was too young too die. I pray his soul be placed among the fallen martyrs in heaven. Amen.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129
reply to post by Jakes51

Not sure how anyone can say what happened on them ships till,or if Israel release all the evidence they confiscated.

But to me 4 shots to the head doesnt seem right and also, 5 out of the nine killed apparently were all headshots...

I asked if there were any soldiers or police online to tell me about arms training because I always thought they were trained to go for a body shot in confrontations like that, bigger target and all that...

If what you say is correct, if all the casualties where addressed to head shots, it seems rather excessive? However, I have heard that when some of the commandos where neutralized in that mob action, some of their small arms were seized by the attackers? Here is an analysis by a Royal Marine veteran and Maritime expert, about the interdiction efforts by the Israeli Navy.

We don't know if this young man had a weapon in his hands firing at the Israeli commandos? I know what I saw on the deck of that ship, and it was chaos. In that type of environment accidents are bound to happen. The use of deadly and non-deadly force is always a sticky issue. I am sure once an official inquiry is held, we will know for certain if the use of deadly force was warranted or not? Your concern is duly noted, and I am concerned as well.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

What, are you saying the activists took guns and shot eachother???

I dont recall seeing anywhere that any IDF were shot....
I'd assume they would have been IF the activists had taken their guns.
Do you have any info on IDF that were shot??

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well that American had it coming!

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Agreed.

If some of the IDF soldiers weapons were taken then they could have been used on the dead by the other terrorists.

Think about it. The cause is all that matters to these people. If one of them was already shot and killed by a soldier then wouldnt it be better for the cause if one of their buddies popped him in the head to make it look like an execution?

Wierd that the IDF had weapons taken but none of the soldiers was shot...This could very well be the most well planned attack since 9/11.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129
reply to post by Jakes51

What, are you saying the activists took guns and shot eachother???

I dont recall seeing anywhere that any IDF were shot....
I'd assume they would have been IF the activists had taken their guns.
Do you have any info on IDF that were shot??

No, I was not saying that the activists were firing upon each other. In the melee that ensued, and as result of that, with some commandos being subdued. Their weapons could have been seized by their attackers? It is completely plausible, given the state of commotion on board that ship. Here is the official statement from the IDF on the matter of it being alleged that activists fired upon Israeli commandos.

Israeli assault on Gaza-bound flotilla leaves at least 9 dead

But the Israel Defense Forces said its troops "were met with premeditated violence, evident by the activists' use of clubs, metal rods, and knives, as well as the firing of two weapons stolen from the soldiers." It said troops responded with "defensive action on behalf of the forces who felt their lives were endangered," and seven were wounded.

The loss of life is a tragedy, but I think this ship was sent with one sole purpose and to make headlines. Perhaps, it used the guise of humanitarian aid as a cover? Still, this ship was a useful tool to further enrage the international community against Israel. That is how I see it. Regardless of how unpopular Israel may be to some, this mission was to sway the hearts and minds with furor and disdain toward Israel.

They could have cooperated with the demands of the Israeli Navy, and allowed themselves to be ferried to Ashdod harbor to have their aid distributed to Gaza through proper channels in conjunction with provisions of the blockade. They were looking for a fight, and apparently ready for one as well? In other instances, boarding like this one have happened without violence or incident. Here are videos of tons of aid being delivered through Israel's land route to Gaza, and with some of it no doubtingly coming from the sea.

I know these videos come from the IDF, and some on here would consider it as disinformation at the very sight of the IDF being associated with video of aid being delivered to Gaza. So, here is another article of aid arriving from the sea that arrived safely and through the blockade. This article is from the BBC and from August 2008.

Activist boats reach Gaza Strip

Two boats carrying members of a US-based pro-Palestinian group have arrived in the Gaza Strip, despite an Israeli blockade of the territory.

So, this particular incident is quite foggy to me and I really have no idea whom to believe? However, I will continue to look at as skeptically as possible. I would be all for a legitimate and impartial investigation into the matter. Both sides can skewer the facts to make one look better than the other.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BingeBob
reply to post by Jakes51

Agreed.

If some of the IDF soldiers weapons were taken then they could have been used on the dead by the other terrorists.

Think about it. The cause is all that matters to these people. If one of them was already shot and killed by a soldier then wouldnt it be better for the cause if one of their buddies popped him in the head to make it look like an execution?

Wierd that the IDF had weapons taken but none of the soldiers was shot...This could very well be the most well planned attack since 9/11.

Good point! Perhaps, in the melee, the Israelis commandos could have been shot at by their own weapons that were being taken off their persons at the onset of the raid? At least two were largely subdued and mangled by the mob at the start of the video. Then as you say, in the commotion, some of the terrorists could have fired rounds into the heads of the already deceased? Adding more insult to injury in the case of Israel. To make it appear that Israel went into the raid as cold blooded murderers.

So, I am reserving judgment until an investigation is complete, and hopefully, an impartial one. Perhaps an organization or nation with no interests in the political affairs of that region of the world. Very good point

top topics

<<   2 >>

join