It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida coast suffers first impact from oil spill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Florida coast suffers first impact from oil spill

news.yahoo.com

PENSACOLA BEACH, Florida (Reuters) – Gooey tar balls and sticky oil sheen washed ashore on a northwest Florida beach among vacationers and swimmers on Friday in what appeared to be the first impact on the tourism-dependent state from the Gulf of Mexico oil spill.

Florida, the "Sunshine State" with a $60 billion-a-year tourism industry, has been bracing for the arrival of oil from the 46-day-old spill, which has already hit the coasts of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama to the west.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
At the time I posted this, the source article is 22 minutes old.

The oil has hit the beaches of Florida. I can only imagine what the state is going to go through in the coming days/weeks/months/years.

Im wondering if the oil is going to encircle the entire state, since the gulf stream goes down the east side of the state and comes right back up the west side. If Florida is completely encircled with oil, what will happen to the state? Its only a matter of time....

edit - The article says

Buck Lee, director of the Santa Rosa Island Authority, said he could not be sure the oil came from the spill leaking from BP Plc's undersea Gulf of Mexico well off Louisiana "but I'm 90 percent certain that it is."

Me, im pretty sure its from the leak. Where else would it come from?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-6-2010 by buni11687]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Ive done some searching for more articles and found a few.

Article 1

Article 2

Both pretty much say the same stuff. Oil sheen and tar balls washing up on Pensacola beach. The 2nd article actually came out around 2 hours ago, so oil has been washing up for a few hours now.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
news this morning reported possible tar balls in Tampa as well but there being tested to confirm its from the spill. Either way its close and will be here in full force soon. Also considering the Leak was never stopped there is more behind t thats on the way. This entire thing makes me sick.

So solidly think we should cover the CEO of BP in oil and let him decide to pour corexit onto him. Based on what he does to get the oil off himself should be what they do to the ocean.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

Its scary what could happen to Florida in the near future. There's 45+ days of oil behind of what washed up on shore today. I can only imagine what the beaches will be like in another month.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
anyone living in florida near the cost can confirm please??

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
If you think Obama's popular rating is low now, just wait till Floridians begin to witness this catastrophe first hand.

Plug idiot, plug!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I was flipping through channels and cnn and fox have finally picked up on this, even though it started hours ago. Nothing really new reported by them, other than showing pictures of tarballs on the beaches.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Pensacola's white sand beaches and beautiful blue-green waters are among the most beautiful in the world. I lived there for eight years, and it pains me to think that soon the waters will become a cesspool, filled with dead fish and birds, and the beaches will be covered with thick oil slime. I pity those who live near the beach (there are thousands of beach front homes in the area), who will be subjected to the fumes.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

He would probably just take a shower for as much as he cares.

That is the truth and you know it.

top topics

join