It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dont call the Guatemala sinkhole a sinkhole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Dont call the Guatemala sinkhole a sinkhole

news.discovery.com

The giant sinkhole that opened beneath downtown Guatemala City over the weekend is all the rage right now. There's just one problem: it isn't a sinkhole.

"Sure, it looks a lot like a sinkhole," geologist Sam Bonis told Discovery News from his home in Guatemala. "And a whale looks a lot like a fish, but calling it one would be very misleading."

Instead, Bonis prefers the term "piping feature" -- a decidedly less sexy label for the 100-foot deep, 66-foot wide circular chasm. But it's an importan
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
science.slashdot.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Sinkhole in Guatemala City
Tropical storm leaves more than 115 dead in Central America
200-foot-deep hole opened up in the middle of a Guatemalan neighborhood

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I really don't want to add to the mass hysteria but here is some news about how dangerous the situation could get. Seems there has been knowledge of it for a long time too.
It could be a big coverup, so that the people there don't get into riot mode. I wonder if this news will break anywhere else soon. I did find it on slashdot after all, so a lot of people are reading about it.

news.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Don't call it a sinkhole?
What?

That picture makes it look like one of the chasms that the Silver Surfer created in the Fantastic Four series.

That's one BIG hole.

It amazes me to this day, when people live in an area prone to any type of disaster, that they get surprised when something happens.

This goes for coastal residents, earthquake zones, and the such.

Shocking yes...but it's the Earth.
We just live here.
The Earth changes every day.
It has many more surprises in store for us, I'm sure.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
this is not the first time, remember in 2007 look like the same

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I certainly didn't think "sinkhole" when I saw it.

Certain features of the sides are not the same as others photographed all over the US, at least, of sinkholes that suddenly appear, due to disintegration of the supporting materials, softer than usual due to rains and flooding, or to leaks and breaches in underground water and waste pipelines.

It's well and truly horrifying, and I'm glad to see that others are taking it as seriously as it appears to be, if it's anything but a natural sinkhole.

Pretty nice circular hole for nature. It would deserve some kind of design award, at least, for such "perfection" in sinkhole technology, lol.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Do a Google Image search for "sinkhole", and go thru the entire results.

You'll see some pretty pictures of very old ones that are now grown in and all. You'll also see many similar to this new one.

new topics

top topics

join