It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.Korean Eminence Grise Dead in Mysterious Circumstances

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

N.Korean Eminence Grise Dead in Mysterious Circumstances

english.chosun.com

A powerful N. Korean official, the first deputy director of the Workers Party's Organization, has suddenly died in mysterious circumstances.

Experts say there is something fishy about the sudden death of this eminence grise. It is possible that Ri was killed while driving his own car drunk but chances are slim that the octogenarian Ri drove himself.

But experts say the timing of his death is peculiar, coming as it did hard on the heels of the dismissal on May 14 of Kim Il-chol, the minister of the people's armed forces, for reasons of old age, also at the age of 80.

Ri Yong-chol (81), another senior deputy director of the Organization and Guidance Department who had supported Ko Young-hee alongside Ri Je-gang, died of a reported heart attack in April.

Senior positions in the party, the government, and the military were more or less in Ri’s gift.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The article goes on to say:

Experts say the timing of his death is peculiar, coming as it did hard on the heels of the dismissal on May 14 of Kim Il-chol, the minister of the people's armed forces. Another senior deputy director of the Organization and Guidance Department died of a reported heart attack in April.

A South Korean security official said, "It's possible that there'll be a massive restructuring in the North."

Pyongyang has already announced an extraordinary session of the Supreme People's Assembly on June 7.

I haven't been holding my breath for war to break out any time soon in the Korean region but after reading more about Ri's mysterious death and the death of other senior officials, the torpedo attack on South Korea's Cheonan frigate in March (killing forty-six sailors) and a rash of threats like we've yet to see from the North (if that's even possible), I've started to pay more attention to Korea North (and South) than I normally would.

It seems I'm not the only one.

USA and S. Korea are postponing next weeks scheduled war games 'apparently fearful of the growing tension on the Korean Peninsula.' The same article goes on to report: 'The U.S. defense chief called North Korea "even more unpredictable than usual."' (link)

Yeah, that got my ears pricked up to take a keener listen at the whole situation.

All in all I hope I'm just wasting my time worrying about a 'boy' crying wolf, but, this time it sounds like the howling is signaling for a real confrontation.

June 7th will be a day to look to Korea North for more information on the 'shake up' that will take place in their government.
I hope that's all the 7th will bring, some housecleaning on their part, out with the old dogs and in with the new.
Though for some reason that doesn't sound like it bodes too well for the rest of the world either, does it.

peace

[edit on 4-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Oh wow! They have been watching to many american movies.

Knock a guy out....dump burbon all over the place and roll him over a ledge.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Hmm very interesting, this could lead to something way bigger...
Thanks for posting!

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So would this guy of been for a conflict with the south or against? Would anyone know?

Somehow I can picture this guy (who was powerful) being outspoken about such things... Well as out spoken as you get in North Korea.

If he was bumped off, it's only because of his position that we ever hear of it - most people would just dissapear, or end up in jail - NK supposedly uses humans for tests with chemical and biological weapons also... Which if you ask me is a great incentive not to speak out of turn.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
An interesting development, considering recent events.

Perhaps the 'old school' is being cleared away to make room for the 'new school'... whatever form that might take.

Let's hope it means less propensity for violence, and more food and better living conditions for all the impoverished North Korean citizens... maybe even for the countless orphans who are tragically lost in their 'fatherland.'

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
reply to post by silo13

Oh wow! They have been watching to many american movies.

Don't forget the microfilm and Marlboro cigarettes.
Jeez the guy was a lush and probably missed a turn.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
North Korea is quite capable of killing its own people, so this doesn't automatically trigger thoughts of assassins sent by South Korea or the US to me.

Having said that, the question would be -- What position were these men taking that lead to their death? Were they going against their leader's wishes? Were they simply not prepared to fight to the death? Who knows....it could be as simple as one of Little Kimmy's nephews needing a job.

North Korea can restructure all they want. As long as Kim is in charge, not much maneuvering of people is going to change his control and command of his country and military.

Not much to do but wait until June 7th really.

My fingers are crossed that tensions ease following the Supreme People's session. Although, if I wanted to make a call based on my gut, I would say this session is going to be a rah-rah speech designed to convince the people of North Korea that war is a certainty and reinforce confidence that they will be victorious. Hopefully I am very wrong.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
The article goes on to say:

It seems like I'm not the only one. USA and S. Korea are postponing scheduled war games for this next week war games 'apparently fearful of the growing tension on the Korean Peninsula.'
The same article goes on to report: 'The U.S. defense chief called North Korea "even more unpredictable than usual."' (link)

This is not very smart. Let the North sweat it out. They have shown many times their lack of appreciation for anything that looks like contrition.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I bet there are a lot of officers in NK who are starting to have second thoughts and well that is not acceptable.

So there would probably be some sort of "house cleaning" going on the interior of NK...typical of mafias or other pyramid power structures.

OR....this guy could actually have been driving drunk, politicians are prone to that habit after all you know?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

I know, seems sloppy right?

Yet I bet it still closes the case.

- Lee

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hm, the current brink of war status keeps the army under tight control along the border leaving special regime loyalist troops at key point around the state the recent trip to China by Kim Jong IL now deaths within the inner circle, it may not be a war coming but the death of the leader and subsequent events leading to a new leader, we know it won't be Ri.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
very interesting indeed. 7th will be an important date i should think... tensions are up all over the world.. now burma is trying to build the bomb, mid east is up an arms over gaza aid, financial collapse on the horizon for the west...
blah

top topics

join