It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Calls President Obama & Republican candidate "ragheads"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A South Carolina lawmaker on Thursday called a Republican gubernatorial candidate of Indian descent a "raghead," saying we have one in the White House, we don't need one in the governor's mansion

Newsvine

No coverage on the major media sites but it's being picked up by a few smaller sites now. Apparently the comment was made in an interview for a political program and there will be video of it released later today.

Things seem to be spiraling out of control now, this remark by a Senator is eye opening for sure. Very ugly and certain political suicide, but can this be the true belief of the republican party?

edit: shortened title to fit subject line

[edit on 6/4/2010 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

The State
Lexington state Sen. Jake Knotts called political rival and Republican gubernatorial candidate Nikki Haley a “raghead” on an Internet political talk show Thursday evening.

The term is a slur typically used against Arabs or other ethnic groups who wear turbans or headdresses. Haley, a state representative from Lexington, is the child of Indian immigrants.

“We already got one raghead in the White House,” Knotts said. “We don’t need another in the Governor’s Mansion.”
knotts

South Carolina State Senator Jake Knotts
- Gerry Melendez/gmelendez@thestate.com

According to those present and watching the show, “Pub Politics,” Knotts also talked at length about Haley’s parents’ religion and her family. Haley was raised as a Sikh, but converted to Methodist and has said she attends both services. “Pub Politics” host Wesley Donehue said the video will be posted today.

Read more: www.thestate.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I didn't know if I should laugh because that's so out there or cry because this guy is able to make laws somewhere. So I did what I will dub "Craughing" (TM). How do the people that live in South Carolina feel about this? I can imagine a hooded member of the KKK listening to this and shaking his head saying "Wow, that was a bit extreme.". Another thing I thought was odd was no ones ever (that I can remember) accused Obama of being a sikh. A muslim yes, but not a sikh. I guess he just gets confused by the turbans?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I don't think muslims should be permitted to serve in any branch of government at any level.

Muslims are NOT here to participate in our culture. Muslims are here to replace our culture with Islam and Sharia. It is and has been their singular goal for 1,400 years.

Muslim Citizen

Muslim = Jihad Violence

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Very ugly and certain political suicide, but can this be the true belief of the republican party?

No need to bring political parties into it. There are closed-minded, bigoted idiots in every group. I'm sure a lot of people agree with this man, regardless of political party, and many Republicans would shudder to hear what he said.

Hopefully, this guy is looking at his last stint as a politician.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes, perhaps I worded that wrongly. I was thinking more along the lines of whether this Senator could believe it was a majority view. Is there really such strong racial hatred among his supporters, or is he just way out there?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
I don't think muslims should be permitted to serve in any branch of government at any level.

Muslims are NOT here to participate in our culture. Muslims are here to replace our culture with Islam and Sharia. It is and has been their singular goal for 1,400 years.

Muslim Citizen

Muslim = Jihad Violence

Nice. But neither of the people insulted in the article are Muslims.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I am a Republican (for now) that voted for Obama (I know, I know) and I am still in shock that this idiot actually "represents" other people in his district? Where did they find this guy?
Why does the movie Deliverance come to mind?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Generally, the state of S. Carolina isn't known to be one of the more progressive in the union... I guess we'll have to wait to see the backlash against this Senator. I know I wouldn't want him representing me.

He says it was a "joke".
Really funny, sir!
I suppose hurling racial slurs is a joke, too, huh? Yeah, real funny joke.

Source

Republican state Sen. Jake Knotts later apologized for the slur, saying the remarks about President Barack Obama and state Rep. Nikki Haley were meant as a joke.

[edit on 6/4/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

new topics

top topics

join