It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Exploration of a Sub-Glacial Antarctic Lake Is a Major Step Closer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

First Exploration of a Sub-Glacial Antarctic Lake Is a Major Step Closer

www.sciencedaily.com

Scientists have located the ideal drill site for the first ever exploration of an Antarctic sub-glacial lake, a development that is likely to facilitate a revolution in climate-change research and which may lead to the discovery of life-forms cut off from the main line of evolution for millions of years. No one has yet drilled into an Antarctic sub-glacial lake. But microbiologists believe that such lakes could harbor uniquely adapted life-forms cut off from other lines of evolution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
This is from June 3.

So, they decided to drill in Antarctica to study possible unique life forms and sediments. But this is a first, no one drilled into a sub-glacial lake before so they have to find the right spot first (to avoid areas of in-coming water and trapped gases), and that might the Lake Ellsworth.

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sandri_90

Interesting news.
Wonder how far they will succeed in relation to Admiral Byrd's expedition

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by savvys84

I'm not entirely sure what this thread has to do with the Hollow Earth theory???
In fact, I would imagine absolutely nothing!

On Topic:

I'm looking forward to what types of life they may find. I can't imagine there being anything more than microbes though. I'm sure that whatever they find down there will reinforce Darwin's theory of evolution and natural selection. I'm also hoping that they eventually find some perfectly preserved dinosaurs in the Antarctic.

IRM

[edit on 4/6/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sandri_90

And what untold microbes is this going to unleash on us? Bugs that have been locked away for countless millennia and to which we probably don't have any resistance or cure.

This is tantamount to bringing back bugs from space. Bad idea I say.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I got an idea, why dont we not drill and just say we did??

WTF do humans think we have the right to infiltrate and examine everything?

We can never just abserve from a distance can we? No! We have to drill in and F$%& everything up.

I am sorry but we have done to much as is and untill we fix what we destrroyed in prior explorations then we need not explore any more.

Kinda off topic but had to add it:
Honestly if I was an E.T. I would not want to work along side humans. We are better off guided by a higher inteligence to minimize our retardation effecting everything around us.

Not as slaves but instead as pets.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by robbinsj]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

They've already found super bugs in ice cores.

IRM

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
This reminds me of the great furor over the exploration of Lake Vostok. The drilling was abandoned as far as I know and the reasons were an issue hotly debated with many conspiracy theories about what was found and magnetic anomolies related to Lake Vostok.

Lake Vostok wikipedia

Lake Vostok on ATS

why did all the researchers get sick at the same time...ATS

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
We all need to hope that they never find oil in the vicinity of this lake... or heaven forbid, under it.

I wonder how serious they are about not contaminating the lake with microbial forms of life from the surface?

Will they implement an isolation protocol? Will the equipment be specially sterilized or irradiated to avoid cross-contamination? Or would that make the research too expensive?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
We all need to hope that they never find oil in the vicinity of this lake... or heaven forbid, under it.

I wonder how serious they are about not contaminating the lake with microbial forms of life from the surface?

Will they implement an isolation protocol? Will the equipment be specially sterilized or irradiated to avoid cross-contamination? Or would that make the research too expensive?

Hey, I might be off topic, but I've been there in opne of my OBE's. Its an incredibly beautiful place. I did see some beautiful wooden yachts and animals not of the surface. Whether this has anything to do with hollow earth, I dont know but its a huge and completely different world there.
On the scientific side , yes there is a lake and or sea and a river feeds this lake or sea.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Super bugs in ice cores ??? ... can we have a link, please? ...

top topics

join