It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's pulls 12M cadmium-tainted Shrek glasses

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

McDonald's pulls 12M cadmium-tainted Shrek glasses

www.washingtonpost.com

LOS ANGELES -- Cadmium has been discovered in the painted design on "Shrek"-themed drinking glasses being sold nationwide at McDonald's, forcing the burger giant to recall 12 million of the cheap U.S.-made collectibles while dramatically expanding contamination concerns about the toxic metal beyond imported children's jewelry.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Here we go again....

How many of these things have to occur? Why is paint even being made with cadmium? How does this get INTO the US?

I know the glasses are US made, but I'm willing to bet that the paint came from CHINA.

How many of these glasses have already been sold?

We need a moratorium on any paint coming from China. We need also to TEST EVERY item for a range of known poisons which is targeted at children.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

How many of these things have to occur? Why is paint even being made with cadmium? How does this get INTO the US?

I can say that in the artistic field, cadmium-based paints such as Cadmium Red and Cadmium Yellow are still extremely popular amongst artists, mostly because they provide very rich colors which cannot be easily reproduced by other pigments.

However, I have always wondered why it is legal for them to sell Cadmium-based paints and not Lead-based paints, when Cadmium is arguably just as harmful or perhaps even more harmful than lead.

I avoid Cadmium and other toxic paints like the plague, because frankly I would rather use a slightly cooler shade of yellow than worry about getting heavy metal poisoning. However, using these paints for art works, and using them for children's toys is night-and-day.

It's absolutely disgusting that companies here in the US are still allowed to use harmful pigments such as these on things that will very likely end up in childrens' mouths. I was hoping we had better quality control here in the USA.

(To address your questions, Cadmium paint is completely legal and unregulated in the US. We simply never had the public awareness revolution towards Cadmium that we had towards Lead in the 70s. I am afraid that unless things change dramatically, poisonous metals such as Cadmium will remain in American-made pigments for years to come.)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Thanks for the explanation... I learned something.

As you stated... Allowing artists to use it is one thing... Manufactuers of childrens toys is another...

Any product aimed at children, or used for food should be heavily tested before the first item ships...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Thanks for posting the article, my sister has a set of those glasses. The thought of her, or my niece and nephews drinking from them makes me cringe.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
i am drinking out of one of those glasses as i read this thanks for the warning

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I can't believe that it took an anonymous tip to test these things. The company should be held held responsible for not making sure these things are free of contamination before even thinking about importing them for sale.

la times article

The recall, which will be officially announced Friday by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, was set in motion by an anonymous tip to Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Hillsborough) last week. She alerted the commission, which tested the glasses and confirmed the presence of cadmium in the paint used for the decorative characters. Cadmium is a carcinogen and can cause kidney, lung, intestinal and bone damage.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I know the glasses are US made, but I'm willing to bet that the paint came from CHINA.

I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't a link to China somewhere in the chain. I'm sure McDonalds would have kept selling these to the very last unit had the tip-off not happened. It's not like they've ever been concerned about the health of children. Their menu is testament to that.

The onus is on McDonlads to have these items thoroughly checked before putting them into circulation. It makes me shudder to imagine how much of this crap has slipped through the net in the past.

IRM

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
They have sold glasses almost exactly like this in the past. I wonder if they also contain cadmium.
Is there anyway we can have them tested? Do any labs do free testing for consumers? If not there needs to be one.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Can you say hay after it has passed through the digestive tract of a male cow? Right now I have a half a dozen Cadmium plated bolts sitting on my desk. If you have an appliance made before 2000 in your house, odds are that you have a few pieces of Cadmium plated hardware too. If you collect model trains, the older Erector sets or have a painted plastic model older than 2 or 3 years, you probably have Cadmium paint. I won't even get started on things like Beanie Babies or the toys given away by fast food chains.

This is another one of those "It's for the children." excuse to make lawyers rich. Anybody want to bet that by the end of the day there will be a class action lawsuit filed against McDonalds?

Unless you let your child suck on a Cadmium plated bolt for 10 or 12 hours per day, for 4 or 5 years, they won't even get close to the Government's standard for Cadmium poisioning. When you figure that the Government level is so minute compaired to the amount needed to cause health problems, you get an idea how absurd this is.

By the way, if you went to school more than 10 years ago and had the habit of chewing on the yellow No 2 pencils that the school used to give out, you have probably ingested more Cadmium than is on 1000 of those glasses.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by JIMC5499]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Good call...or recall in this case.

Cigarette smoking is a major, worse way to get cadmium into the body.

Interesting that sunflowers, a healthy food, have naturally occurring cadmium but also don't allow it to be toxic to the body.

info

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Jim are you familiar with the recent case of Jewelry with Cadmium in it?

Are you also familiar with the fact that it was because of illness that case was discovered?

In Regards to Tort reform.... I don't agree. I believe the larger the punishment, the larger the deterrent for corporations.

And yes, "for the children" is a good enough reason for me.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

reply to post by JIMC5499

Jim are you familiar with the recent case of Jewelry with Cadmium in it?

Are you also familiar with the fact that it was because of illness that case was discovered?

In Regards to Tort reform.... I don't agree. I believe the larger the punishment, the larger the deterrent for corporations.

And yes, "for the children" is a good enough reason for me.

Yes I am. Did you know that some of the jewelry contained up to 97% Cadmium? This in compairison to micrograms in the paint on the glasses. Apples and Oranges. I stand by my previous post. This is a total overreaction.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
My girlfriend collected all four. this worries me, as she wants to get drunk with me out of them lol. Are they dangerous?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger
My girlfriend collected all four. this worries me, as she wants to get drunk with me out of them lol. Are they dangerous?

Only if you scrape the paint from one or two thousand of them and then eat the scrapings.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Only if you scrape the paint from one or two thousand of them and then eat the scrapings.

Do you have any proof of this? Link perhaps?

Side note...
I noticed mcdonalds.com is currently down.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by HrdCorHillbilly

No link necessary. Just common sense. Considering that Cadmium is only used in certain colors of paint and there is probably .010 grams of paint on a glass, you do the math.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Yes I am. Did you know that some of the jewelry contained up to 97% Cadmium? This in compairison to micrograms in the paint on the glasses. Apples and Oranges. I stand by my previous post. This is a total overreaction.

Not necessarily.

And I would highly advise that if you do have cadmium plated bolts lying around, that you wash your hands thoroughly after touching them.

Here's the thing about Cadmium: it bio-accumulates over long periods of time, similar to how lead works. Cadmium is toxic in very tiny amounts, and can have clinical health effects in children at even smaller doses.

And the kicker: These are drinking glasses. Yes, they might not be composed of lethal amounts of Cadmium, but the fact that children will be drinking from them essentially guarantees the risk of long-term exposure.

Regardless of whether or not the glasses contain enough Cadmium to cause major health issues is beyond the point. The point is that poisonous metals such as Cadmium should not be used in consumer products at all. The only people who should be using Cadmium-based products are those who are safety-trained in handling poisonous metals, and who are aware of the risks.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I wonder how much more toxic such paint is than the food that is regularly served at McDonalds?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm concerned for how this is getting in the US

top topics

<<   2 >>

join